U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2012, 10:41 AM
 
5 posts, read 5,678 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Before you laugh, I'm talking about the sort with rides and a midway with games. Like the ferris wheel, carousel, and all the "scary" rides. We live in Galveston and one of the things our children look forward to each year during Mardi Gras is the carnival they have up on the Seawall. We will be moving to New Orleans when school is out and this question is of the utmost importance to my thirteen year old daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2012, 11:10 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,311 posts, read 4,387,082 times
Reputation: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphie View Post
Before you laugh, I'm talking about the sort with rides and a midway with games. Like the ferris wheel, carousel, and all the "scary" rides. We live in Galveston and one of the things our children look forward to each year during Mardi Gras is the carnival they have up on the Seawall. We will be moving to New Orleans when school is out and this question is of the utmost importance to my thirteen year old daughter.
I don't know of any that go on during Mardi Gras season (it's pretty stiff competition), but there are a lot that pop up in parking lots, etc., and Gretna Fest, which happens once a year, has ferris wheels and the gravitron and all that. Tell her not to worry. We also have a small amusement park in City Park that has a ferris wheel, a (small) roller coaster, a big tower than you can slide off on burlap sacks, etc. If I had a thirteen-year old daughter (or son), I'd be more worried about them having too much fun here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 12:50 PM
 
5 posts, read 5,678 times
Reputation: 12
Thank you so much. She is quite happy and reassured now. Here in Galveston there are only a couple of parades the children can go to that are halfway decent, so the carnival on the Seawall is a huge deal as it makes up the majority of their Mardi Gras entertainment. I've tried to tell her that Mardi Gras in New Orleans is the Mardi Gras in the US and there will be so much to do but until she sees it I don't think she has any idea. I'm not sure I do really, aside from what I have read. I am looking forward to experiencing Mardi Gras as a local though; the entire Bourbon Street Mardi Gras scene has never held any sort of appeal to me. Here during our Mardi Gras we pretty much keep to our local parades and avoid the ones that cater to the tourists so I can just imagine the need to do so in New Orleans.

I did look up the amusement park in City Park and it looked really nice and so pretty. A lot of it seemed geared towards younger children but like you said, there is Gretna Fest and parking lot carnivals. I can see we have much to look forward to indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 12:53 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,311 posts, read 4,387,082 times
Reputation: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphie View Post
Thank you so much. She is quite happy and reassured now. Here in Galveston there are only a couple of parades the children can go to that are halfway decent, so the carnival on the Seawall is a huge deal as it makes up the majority of their Mardi Gras entertainment. I've tried to tell her that Mardi Gras in New Orleans is the Mardi Gras in the US and there will be so much to do but until she sees it I don't think she has any idea. I'm not sure I do really, aside from what I have read. I am looking forward to experiencing Mardi Gras as a local though; the entire Bourbon Street Mardi Gras scene has never held any sort of appeal to me. Here during our Mardi Gras we pretty much keep to our local parades and avoid the ones that cater to the tourists so I can just imagine the need to do so in New Orleans.

I did look up the amusement park in City Park and it looked really nice and so pretty. A lot of it seemed geared towards younger children but like you said, there is Gretna Fest and parking lot carnivals. I can see we have much to look forward to indeed.
One thing that should come as a pleasant surprise to you will be how kid-friendly much of Mardi Gras is. I'm not sure the exact number of parades, but it's probably 60 or so over a two-and-a-half week period. Mardi Gras was the highlight of my year when I was in elementary and high schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,866 posts, read 58,371,867 times
Reputation: 19202
The parades in Metairie are more family friendly. The big ones downtown are flashier and Bacchus has a celebrity grand Marshall. I have never heard of most of them but your 13 y/o probably has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 01:13 PM
 
5 posts, read 5,678 times
Reputation: 12
Oh my heavens, I can't even imagine so many parades! I know when we have visited I've have always been able to find lots of fun wholesome family entertainment for the kids to enjoy. They all absolutely love New Orleans and can't wait to live there. I'm blessed to have a family of readers so they have all been reading everything about it they can get their hands on. My eleven year old just got an American Girl doll for Christmas who is from New Orleans complete with a set of her very own books set in the 1800's, my thirteen year old is happily devouring the entire Anne Rice collection on her Kindle, and my nine year old is using his tablet to Google every known fact he can he think up. So far the kids' favorite place when visiting though has been Cafe Du Monde.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 01:19 PM
 
5 posts, read 5,678 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The parades in Metairie are more family friendly. The big ones downtown are flashier and Bacchus has a celebrity grand Marshall. I have never heard of most of them but your 13 y/o probably has.
Metairie is actually where we are seriously considering living because of the school district but we haven't entirely decided yet. It also seems like a more family friendly place as a whole in a lot of ways though I do prefer New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 06:24 PM
 
1,347 posts, read 2,062,366 times
Reputation: 945
The parades in New Orleans are family friendly if you camp out near the start of the parade route. Things go "downhill" as you head closer to the CBD, Canal Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 AM
 
Location: Da Parish
1,127 posts, read 4,630,709 times
Reputation: 998
I have been battling with my 13 yo niece over Mardi Gras ever since she moved here last Aug. She's never done Mardi Gras and has repeatedly told me that parades are stupid and that she thinks it's a waste of time to stand there and wave at people. When I mentioned that people are going to be throwing her beads she got a tiny bit more interested. All I can say is that I can't wait to see the look on that kid's face when we drag her to her first parade. Elphie, you need to bring a camera and get a picture of your daughter's face when she realizes why there isn't one NOLA kid who would trade a fair ride for a parade during Carnival season.

PS. There won't be any lack of fair rides during festival season. Southeastern LA is crawling with festivals from abt. March - June and then things pick up again abt. late Sept.- Nov., (well Dec. if you count the Renaissance Festival up in Hammond). And there are plenty filler festivals in between these peak seasonal times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Pereira, Colombia
1,281 posts, read 2,179,901 times
Reputation: 1421
Lafayette has a fair/carnival type setup around the Cajundome, and the parade actually rolls into the place as people enjoy rides and concessions. Cool idea, I thought, although nothing compares to New Orleans Mardi Gras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:00 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top