U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:57 PM

172 posts, read 347,514 times

Advertisements

Sure, but I think you meant to say lack of CHAIN stores in New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 12:30 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,175,368 times
I don't know if you could say Wal-Mart is completely to blame. On College Drive in Baton Rouge, A Wal-Mart Supercenter and an Albertson's coexist right next door to each other. I figured the Albertson's days were numbered when that Super Center opened next door, but it's been several years now and Albertson's is still there.

Of course, if you want to be treated right and not herded through the store like livestock, you have to go to Calvin's, Calandro's, or Matherne's.

But that's BR, where we wouldn't mind having a Rouse's. Rouse's is a good store. Much better than Albertsons or Kroger or Wal-Mart.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:39 AM

14,343 posts, read 20,775,930 times
In Prairieville the Walmart was built just across Airline from Winn Dixie and it is still open, its been about 5 years I guess since that Walmart was built. The Albertsons further down Airline in EBR is still there along with the LeBlancs on LA 42 in Prairieville.
But I still blame Walmart.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:38 AM

19,866 posts, read 58,371,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicoz View Post
sure, but i think you meant to say lack of chain stores in new orleans.
oops!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:59 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,917,521 times
Part of the problem certainly is Walmart... and this area of the country is more prone to shop at Walmart than other areas of the country (one reason being that Walmart has been in Louisiana longer)...I think a big the problem with New Orleans and other nearby cities is that the other grocery chains were just extremely poorly managed and had no good ability to adapt to the market. By the time Walmart started to decline, they were already firmly entrenched in the area. Think about it:

Delchamps- bought by Jitney Jungle (awful, btw. I'm convinced if this didn't happen, we would still have Delchamps)
Jitney Jungle- bankrupt
Winn Dixie- bankrupt
Bruno's- bankrupt
Albertsons- extreme financial trouble/forced sales of chain/stores

New Orleans just doesn't have any chains that adapted. There is no HEB, Meijer, Kroger, Safeway, Schnucks, Publix, Wegmans, Harris Teeter, etc. etc. etc....companies that managed the Walmart invasion properly. Until any of those chains start moving into New Orleans... well, you will probably be stuck with what you have.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:07 PM

14 posts, read 46,218 times
One of the biggest killers of the local grocery chains in the New Orleans is not necessarily Wal-Mart, but rather Wal-Mart was perfectly positioned for a power-grab move by Schwegmann's when they brought out all of the Real Superstores, Canal-Villeres, That Stanley's, etc. in the 90's. Those National stores along with Winn-Dixie, A&P, and Delchamps had a large share of grocery store market in the N.O. When Schwegmann (who probably had the largest market share in the area) brought them out and when under soon after, it left a void in the N.O. which Winn-Dixie, A&P/Sav-A-Center, Delchamps, Associate Grocers, etc. took advantage of in the late-90's.

Wal-Mart expanded (the Supercenters) in the New Orleans area soon after in the very late-90's/early 2000's which served a market that was already lacking in options. But also remember with the dying of Schwegmann's also expanded the Sav-A-Centers and A&P which not only merged during the rising of Wal-Mart but also acquired the former National properties from Schwegmann's...

Enter Katrina....

Delchamps was probably killed by the Jitney Jungle acquistion a little before Katrina. Katrina was probably the biggest contributor to the death of A&P/Sav-A-Center which Houma-based Rouses took advantage of by acquiring their stores/properties. Albertsons never recovered (or decided to come back to) in New Orleans and you have the grocery market today. In New Orleans, Wal-Mart was more "in the right place at the right time" than just bulldogging their smaller competition in my opinion.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 PM

172 posts, read 347,514 times
I saw a really strange sight in one of the more residential areas of New Orleans: an empty Eckerd drugstore attached to a Walgreens in a shopping strip! Did CVS buy the Eckerd stores here? That was what happened in Texas and Florida in 2004, but Eckerd stayed Eckerd for a while in the Northeast until Rite Aid bought them around 2007. I have a feeling that maybe this Walgreens was actually in a portion of the ex-Eckerd. And it looked like a newer Walgreens but the center looked very old, like maybe the Walgreens portion was originally a grocery store, possibly the Houston chain Weingarten's? Perhaps Walgreens opened after Eckerd closed?

Old 07-25-2018, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,032 times
One of the Winn Dixies in Mandeville fell victim when a Neighborhood Walmart opened about 1/2 mile down the road. When they opened the Rouses next door it had a minimal impact on Winn Dixie and both stores coexisted for several years despite being only about 300 yards from each other. However the NWM had a severe impact on WD. The store managed to stay open for about 7 years after NWM opened but it struggled and mostly operated at a loss for those years and it finally shut down in April. Although Walmart is mostly to blame, Winn Dixie also did themselves in. The store had been grossly mismanaged for several years before NWM moved in and a lot of what they did was penny wise and pound foolish. The store was renovated shortly before Walmart opened but much of the work was shoddily done and had to be repaired. Also general maintenance was done quickly and often incorrectly to cut costs. Refrigeration problems more often then not required 2 visits in less than 24 hours because maintenance personel was ordered to repair it as quickly as possible. One incident in particular stands out where maintenance was ordered by management (who knew absolutely nothing about refrigeration) to run a refrigeration rack which had sprung a leak without freon. As a result it burned up multiple compressors which nearly caught fire from running so hot, (Freon is essential for cooling the compressors). It also cost them close to a million dollars in lost product, and also cost thousands of dollars in overtime for maintenance to spend almost 10 hours repairing the system on a Saturday night. If they had just allowed them to properly repair the leak and recharge the rack, it would have cost a fraction of the final cost. There were also several other incidents similar to this one.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:42 AM

2,546 posts, read 1,035,413 times
We have plenty of Walmarts where I live, and I don't think they're the cheapest grocer by far. Shopped there once and either they didn't have what I wanted or their prices didn't compare to Winco. So, I returned to Winco. Unfortunately, you don't have one there. But I, too, have noticed the lack of big grocery stores in NO outside of Rouse's.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:43 PM

461 posts, read 425,275 times
Once Publix expands west of Mobile into Mississippi, it's only a matter of time before they make it into Louisiana. These are the only places that Winn Dixie does not have to deal with as competition, so this could be their death knell when it happens.

In Mobile, Rouses co-exists with Publix pretty well...but the only concern could be the independents like Dorignac's and Zuppardo's, and the idea of "makin' groceries" could fall along the wayside. Rouses entry was a good one in Lower Alabama since it was qn improvement over the Bruno's/Food World stores it replaced, and helped normalize the market which was lacking since Delchamps went under....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans