U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:25 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,371,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The cold down here chills to the bones thanks to the humidity.
So true! I felt colder there than in snow at 15% humidity.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 06:08 PM

460 posts, read 550,297 times
Humidity.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:38 PM

311 posts, read 713,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceing0ntheCake View Post
You'll cry when you move there and you'll cry when you leave.
Love it!

Just moved away last week. I'm so glad to be home, but man I'm gonna miss New Orleans.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:39 AM

8 posts, read 13,534 times
If you work in hospitality, expect to rely heavily on gratuity, as the minimum wage for service industry ranges from $2.00/hr-$6.00/hr depending on where and what you're doing. -- I moved from the West Coast years ago and was used to minimum wage at $7.00+/hr as well as gratuity. like weaux.
also public transportation is not reliable or efficient. other than that, this is one of the best cities in the U.S. when it's all said and done.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:44 PM

91 posts, read 187,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceing0ntheCake View Post
You'll cry when you move there and you'll cry when you leave.
This place has an amazing spirit about it. It sucks you in. I fell in love and was able to look past it's faults, I probably wouldn't been able to look past in other places.
Pololtics are SO crooked. Humidity so bad
YOU'LL CRY WHEN YOU GET THERE:

OK This was true for me. NO is very different from the rest of the country. I remember moving into my FQ apartment Memorial Day weekend 1988. I set up appointment for NOPSI (Entergy) to turn on gas & elect. 1st was dismayed to find out the appointment was for ALL day (9am -4pm) not a one hour window like back home in VA. When the lady said they'd be out on Monday I replied "Are you sure? Monday is the MEmorial Day holiday." She replied "Memorial Day is not a holiday." WOW.... and there were many more things that made me cry/angry/frustrated etc. Politics as mentioned, saw a city tow truck driver take a bribe. Meter maids writing tickets with time on meters, high taxes and insurance. How ugly UNO is. RTA buses that just don't come. Floors that are crooked because your house leans and on and on.....

YOU'LL CRY WHEN YOU LEAVE:

But, I learned to love the city, especially after leaving the quarter after 6 mos for Bayou St John. I lived on the same block for 12 yrs. The food, the people, the customs. Big oaks, old houses, and heavy rainstorms. Jazz Fest, Mardi Gras. October when every day is a winner. The myrtle trees on Napoleon Ave. Going to a doctor's appointment on Prytania Street and seeing a jazz funeral going by. Walking to the A&P and coming across the St Joseph's Day parade. (I still have a lucky bean!) Bosses who believe you when you're late for work because the bus never came. My Alma Mater, UNO. Floors that are crooked because your house leans. The fact that , unlike everywhere else in America, Memorial Day is not a holiday and on and on.

Do I wish someone had told me this before I came? Maybe, maybe not. Living there sure was an adventure.

I only left NOLA for love and that's still going strong. If not, I'd have been back already.

Last edited by gs70119; 02-23-2012 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 03-03-2012, 09:05 PM

5 posts, read 7,233 times
Rent is overpriced if you are looking for a decent,nice, and "safe' neighborhood. Options are very limited.
You'll not find updated information online. You'll have to rely more on the phone or in-person interactions.
No, cost of living is not cheap. You'll have to spend more money to live in a good area, there is not reliable public transportation, meaning that you need to buy a car.
Insurance costs are the highest because of the many uninsured.
There is more to see and experience than the French Quarter & Bourbon St)
Get used to do everything during the week and only between 8-5pm because nobody works after 5 or on the weekends (including realtors and doctors!)

Old 03-09-2012, 02:27 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,404,046 times
I think the biggest misconception about N.O. is that all the city offers is Bourbon Street and the Mardi Gras experience. Those things can be fun, and have their place, but N.O. is so much more: beautiful architecture, rich music, delicious food, lush trees and plants, and a general love of life that is missing from most of the places I have ever lived or visited.

Numerous times I have seen surveys that show people in N.O. have a lower objective standard of living than in many other cities, but those same people are often near the top of the list for satisfaction with their lives.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:56 PM

358 posts, read 617,757 times
I'm from there and one thing it took me a very long time to figure out is that New Orleans really is more fun from 4pm to 10pm than it is from 10pm and into the wee hours. New Orleans is a different city after about 11pm or midnight. That's when the youngsters take over. You can have much more fun doing your partying early and interacting with mature people. A bonus: you don't sleep until noon and so can actually be a productive member of society.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:24 PM

14,343 posts, read 20,775,930 times
You can be out late and not fiddle with us youngsters, stay away from the Quarter and most of downtown.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:14 AM

11 posts, read 21,099 times
The common idea in these responses? Passion! Yes, NOLA is a city of passion. If I were young and could do it over, I would live there in a heartbeat! My step son decided to. His dad wasn't so happy but I said go for it. And, he makes me jealous all the time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans