Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:53 PM

640 posts, read 1,226,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Oh absolutely, and don't go thinking that it doesn't get back to your mama what you did so you'd better behave.
Yeah, something I've always said is that you can't go anywhere in New Orleans without running into atleast one person you know. Certain neighborhoods can definitely be a small-town within a big-city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 11:40 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
Is NOLA population closer to 400K now?

Old 01-28-2012, 12:02 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
2010 Census is at 343k, guessing by the end of this year it would be close to 380-400k.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:35 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,946,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
2010 Census is at 343k, guessing by the end of this year it would be close to 380-400k.
Yeah, does anybody when the next estimates come out? Anxiously awaiting, as it's the best barometer of how we're doing- even though they always undercount.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:46 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Yeah, does anybody when the next estimates come out? Anxiously awaiting, as it's the best barometer of how we're doing- even though they always undercount.
Eff the estimate. Waiting for 2020 just for the census. Metro Baton Rouge should be hovering around the 1 million mark, hopefully over it.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:04 PM

24 posts, read 29,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwiche View Post
Considering moving back to the South and New Orleans is at the top of the list. I've been there several times and enjoy it but worry I'll find it small after living there for a while. So, locals, is New Orleans hip in a big city way or more so in a quaint, charming small city way? Does it seem as if there is a large population of mobile, nightlife-oriented twentysomethings or are a smaller population all tucked into one or two neighborhoods?

Its all relative.

I grew up in NYC, have lived down here for almost three years and consider this a small town by all measures.

I adore it here but miss the energy, diversity, size and convenience of the big city.

When my in-laws visit NO from Alabama they marvel at being in the 'big city.'

Again, its all relative.

I will note that i think the biggest mistake people make is comparing NO to other cities. Apples and oranges. This city is unique in ways that cant be explained unless you live here. This is also an extremely polarizing place which makes it even more special because what you're left with is (mostly) a population that really wants to be here. The same cant be said for most other cities.

Now if I could only figure out a way to split my time between NYC and NO...

Last edited by NYNO; 01-29-2012 at 01:13 PM..

Old 02-07-2012, 05:58 PM

458 posts, read 616,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNO View Post
I will note that i think the biggest mistake people make is comparing NO to other cities. Apples and oranges. This city is unique in ways that cant be explained unless you live here. This is also an extremely polarizing place which makes it even more special because what you're left with is (mostly) a population that really wants to be here. The same cant be said for most other cities.
Agreed x1,000. I live in Manhattan and New Orleans and comparing NOLA to other cities isn't very productive. I've struggled with many ways of describing it to my friends who aren't from there but have given up. In a lot of ways it's simply like another country. Most American cities are kind of the same (L.A., Chicago, NYC, Boston, etc.) when you compare them to New Orleans. It's its own thing and comparing to other American cities isn't useful. That's not to say that New Orleans is more European or Asian (aw hell nah!) but that it simply is unique.

Also agreed x1,000 on your statement that everyone who lives in NOLA loves NOLA. That is completely different from NYC where you have the haters and the lovers all living together. This unity is probably one of the best aspects of the city and one that can't be overstated.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:36 PM

129 posts, read 316,754 times
I just moved here from Los Angeles (a city that truly has it ALL) and I'm not even really missing it yet. I went to college in Milwaukee and trust you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by moving here!

Old 02-14-2012, 04:45 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,946,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwriter View Post
I just moved here from Los Angeles (a city that truly has it ALL) and I'm not even really missing it yet. I went to college in Milwaukee and trust you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by moving here!
Glad to see you're enjoying it here, SW. Welcome home

Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 PM

129 posts, read 316,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Glad to see you're enjoying it here, SW. Welcome home
Thanks!! I always considered Los Angeles home, but New Orleans may make me reconsider. Whenever we moved to Florida I'd miss LA right away and we'd move right back, but I'm not feeling that way here yet and it surprises me. My husband got a job within a month and a half of moving here, which was awesome. We just found a great Uptown apartment and are moving into it on March 1st. The area is really nice and I'm shocked that it's only $800/month - the area is comparable to like West Hollywood in LA, where the same apartment would cost at LEAST $1500/month. I can't believe that we'll actually be able to walk to my hair salon, cafes and restaurants. I feel like we'll have better lives here because we can afford to reside in the good areas. In LA, we had to live in ghetto areas and were still broke. Also, I don't think that I'd be able to leave the food here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans