U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:32 PM

157 posts, read 139,144 times

Advertisements

This city kicks so many other cities' rearends like Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, San Diego and Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 08:48 PM

5 posts, read 7,239 times
No, New Orleans does not have the feel of a city. Recently moved from Chicago and I am feeling the difference! Locals think about New Orleans as a vibrant city, but any well traveled person would notice the difference. You might see some movement in the touristy French Quarter area and for Mardi Grass or other Festivals, but otherwise is pretty much a town feel (with its good and bad things).

Old 03-03-2012, 08:54 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,389,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btheexplorer View Post
No, New Orleans does not have the feel of a city. Recently moved from Chicago and I am feeling the difference! Locals think about New Orleans as a vibrant city, but any well traveled person would notice the difference. You might see some movement in the touristy French Quarter area and for Mardi Grass or other Festivals, but otherwise is pretty much a town feel (with its good and bad things).
I've traveled the world, including cities as well-known as Paris, Hong Kong, Buenos Aires etc... New Orleans may not be a big city on the order of Chicago but it's still definitely more than a "town".

Old 03-03-2012, 09:58 PM

14,358 posts, read 20,798,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btheexplorer View Post
Nothing like a town city. I've been to a few cities 5 times its size and New Orleans is with them sometimes.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:05 PM

29 posts, read 47,220 times
I can see how moving from a place like Chicago would feel like you have left a city and arrived in a town. However, New Orleans is very much a cosmopolitan city in its own right. If you have "recently arrived", then perhaps you haven't had a chance to explore and discover some of the riches of New Orleans and surrounding areas. I realize Chicago is on a whole other scale size- wise, but bigger doesn't have to always mean better. Some say the glory days of New Orleans are well behind her, but I think her future is very promising.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:24 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,389,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonneFemme View Post
I can see how moving from a place like Chicago would feel like you have left a city and arrived in a town. However, New Orleans is very much a cosmopolitan city in its own right. If you have "recently arrived", then perhaps you haven't had a chance to explore and discover some of the riches of New Orleans and surrounding areas. I realize Chicago is on a whole other scale size- wise, but bigger doesn't have to always mean better. Some say the glory days of New Orleans are well behind her, but I think her future is very promising.
Yeah, I really have gotten the same feeling living here that I did visiting Austin in the mid-90s. The city is buzzing right now, but true to fashion even if we have a boom we'll never give up our unique flavor. Unlike most cities, people move to New Orleans because they really want to be a part of the local scene- they add to the culture rather than demanding wholesale changes to fit their preconceived notions of what a city should be.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:15 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,406,297 times
IMO, New Orleans is the most vibrant city in the South and has plenty of big city "hip"ness. It doesn't have a great skyline, but to me, it feels as big (or bigger) than cities of comparable size or even larger. For instance, as a child I lived in New Orleans and visited Atlanta often. I thought they were the same size b/c New Orleans is very dense downtown with lots of old historic buildings. I was surprised when I learned how much larger Atlanta is b/c to me N.O. felt more urban.

Don't get me wrong, N.O. isn't going to feel like any of the "Big Six" cities (NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Philly, Boston, DC) but it has enough big city "feel" for almost anyone else. Restaurants, bars, music, special events, etc...New Orleans has all of those in abundance.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:26 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,400,245 times
New Orleans offers it's own unique style of urban and historic heritage that can't be duplicated by any other large or small city in this country. The feel of NO is too different everything from architecture, accent dialects, foods etc.. That's what I loved about the city when I first visited 3 years ago for the first time. If I had the money I would buy me a home in the historic French Quarter and retire or a second home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or