U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-28-2012, 09:41 AM
 
1,373 posts, read 2,454,101 times
Reputation: 1043

Advertisements

Drinking drunken partying till dawn, but no damn bible thumpin
Bible-thumping on Bourbon Street at night barred by ordinance | NOLA.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-28-2012, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Denver
14,439 posts, read 20,930,381 times
Reputation: 9374
Good riddance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2012, 07:36 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,311 posts, read 4,404,848 times
Reputation: 1442
As much as I hate those guys, there are probably first amendment problems with this. I'd imagine they could smack them around for loitering and the bullhorn though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2012, 02:37 AM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
10,234 posts, read 14,512,039 times
Reputation: 25911
I don't think they loiter any more than anyone else on that street, but I'd say that they screwed themselves with the bullhorn. Their presence with the a-frame wearers never bothered me; I saw them as an interesting contrast to the environment.

I've encountered aggressive street entertainers as well, and all of them have been children tap dancers. Last time, I watched a mother walk up to people standing around watching and literally demand money. I have a much bigger problem with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2012, 02:54 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,311 posts, read 4,404,848 times
Reputation: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I don't think they loiter any more than anyone else on that street, but I'd say that they screwed themselves with the bullhorn. Their presence with the a-frame wearers never bothered me; I saw them as an interesting contrast to the environment.

I've encountered aggressive street entertainers as well, and all of them have been children tap dancers. Last time, I watched a mother walk up to people standing around watching and literally demand money. I have a much bigger problem with that.
I really have a problem with both groups. They're both aggressive, and really detract from what the Quarter is intended to be- a place where people can go blow off some steam without fear of harassment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2012, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Denver
14,439 posts, read 20,930,381 times
Reputation: 9374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I don't think they loiter any more than anyone else on that street, but I'd say that they screwed themselves with the bullhorn. Their presence with the a-frame wearers never bothered me; I saw them as an interesting contrast to the environment.

I've encountered aggressive street entertainers as well, and all of them have been children tap dancers. Last time, I watched a mother walk up to people standing around watching and literally demand money. I have a much bigger problem with that.
Haven't had that problem. The bible pushers, on the other hand, I want to tell them off but I also want to remain civil (while being drunk).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2012, 10:59 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
310 posts, read 776,379 times
Reputation: 260
I don't have a problem with the religious group standing around with their signs. I do have a problem with their bullhorns and deliberately blocking the street. If you call them out on misspelled signage, they back down a bit

I think this might be a free speech issue unless the ordinance specifically mentions their harassing tactics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2012, 08:14 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,311 posts, read 4,404,848 times
Reputation: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook77 View Post
I don't have a problem with the religious group standing around with their signs. I do have a problem with their bullhorns and deliberately blocking the street. If you call them out on misspelled signage, they back down a bit

I think this might be a free speech issue unless the ordinance specifically mentions their harassing tactics.
Right. The ordinance limits activities specifically of a religious, political, or social orientation.

from
Bible-thumping on Bourbon Street at night barred by ordinance | NOLA.com

"It shall be prohibited for any person or group of persons to loiter or congregate on Bourbon Street for the purpose of disseminating any social, political or religious message between the hours of sunset and sunrise"

I don't know how any of this can reasonably be enforced without stepping on First Amendment rights. It's a pedestrian mall, so I'm not sure that anything short of lewd or aggressive behavior can be restricted; it could easily be argued that Bourbon is in fact designed for loitering.

Which is exactly what I despise about all these hate groups. They want to spew their venom at people, but at the end of the day they always claim that they are the ones playing nice and obeying the law. It really is sickening. However, I'd imagine that restrictions on bullhorns and panhandling can be enforced. Maybe even signs. I just know that these people make Bourbon really unpleasant, and are a large part of the reason that I seldom go to the Quarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2012, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
10,234 posts, read 14,512,039 times
Reputation: 25911
But hasn't Bourbon Street gotten obnoxiously "louder" in the last couple of years or so from bars letting their loud music spill into the street, consequentially competing with each other? This is what I read in your Offbeat magazine a few months ago. Seems to be creating a domino effect, encouraging everyone else to get louder and bolder.

It isn't that pleasant on Bourbon anymore. I used to find it fun but when we were there in April I found the whole street sleezier and terribly loud (and we can handle loud). We found it ironic that bead-whores were "banned" yet there were more sex joints. It just wasn't fun like it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2012, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,439 posts, read 20,930,381 times
Reputation: 9374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
But hasn't Bourbon Street gotten obnoxiously "louder" in the last couple of years or so from bars letting their loud music spill into the street, consequentially competing with each other? This is what I read in your Offbeat magazine a few months ago. Seems to be creating a domino effect, encouraging everyone else to get louder and bolder.

It isn't that pleasant on Bourbon anymore. I used to find it fun but when we were there in April I found the whole street sleezier and terribly loud (and we can handle loud). We found it ironic that bead-whores were "banned" yet there were more sex joints. It just wasn't fun like it used to be.
When was Bourbon pleasant?!
Bourbon isn't fun because you're probably older and more mature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:55 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top