U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 04:05 PM

105 posts, read 206,909 times

Advertisements

It's been years since I've been to NOLA. I started college there at Xavier in 2004, but I was displaced and moved to Houston, and a few months after Katrina was the last time I saw it.

Now, I'm married with child, and I convinced my wife into having an anniversary getaway there in March, but I realize it's been slightly over 6 years (December '05) since I've been, and I don't know what's there anymore and what isn't. I assume all the majority amenities I enjoyed (NOMA, City Park) are still there, but I want to do some additional exploring outside of my usual spots (Mid-City, French Quarter/Elysian Fields, Metairie, and Kenner).

...And just my luck, I got us a place to stay in the Garden District, so I finally will be able to check out Audubon Zoo, but after that I'm fairly lost. Most of the places I remember going to I went as a single man, but now I'm more interested in quiet, romantic sections. I still have a good idea of how to get around the city, I just don't have any idea of places.

Also, when originally trying to book a hotel/B&B, I noticed I could not find a room at all for the weekend of March 9. I tried the weekend of our anniversary, but I realized even in early January trying to book around Mardi Gras is bad news, so we moved it to March, but even then it was hard work finding a place. Is something going on then? I thought the next event was late March.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 11:57 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,991,894 times
When you say "places", do you mean places to eat, architecture to see, good bars, live music, etc.?

The city has come a LONG way since those early post Katrina days. There are tons of new businesses.

If you're staying in the Garden District, definitely spend some time on Magazine St. There are 4 good clusters of shop/bars/restaurants: 1. Near Josephine St. 2.) From Washington up to Aline (this is the best one IMHO)3.) Near Napolean 4.) From Jefferson up to Nashville. The Magazine St. bus runs pretty frequently and can help you get to another part of Magazine quickly if you don't feel like walking. The St. Charles streetcar is also just a few block away.

Also check out Carrollton, lots of stuff there. Walk down Maple St. as well as Oak St.

Feret St. has been booming this past year with lots of new places opening up and it would be worth checking out as well.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:22 PM

I've been bar-ed out, especially if it's in the Quarter, so I'm looking for restaurants and architecture especially (I never had much time to check places like the St. Louis Cathedral. In fact, I didn't get to go to the Garden District or Lakefront area often.).

Actually, we'll be staying on Magazine near St. Mary's, so we'll also be near Tchopitoulas in case we HAVE to do big box store shopping.

For my wife's sake, I'd like to use the street cars moreso than the bus. I've used NORTA buses a few times, mostly to go to Metairie or to the Canal streetcar from Carrollton/I-10. I'm glad to here things are booming there. I missed the charm of New Orleans.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Old 02-02-2012, 02:36 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,991,894 times
I wouldn't rule out all bars, unless neither of you drink, but even then I would still check them out. Being that you have spent some time here, I would only go to the quarter to check out the Cathedral and snap a picture. There are some great places to go and relax without choking on smoke, going deaf or bumping into a bunch of frat boys double-fisting bottles of Bud Light.

If wine is your thing, then check out Delachaise uptown or Wino in the Warehouse Dist. If you’re a craft beer enthusiast, definitely check out the Avenue Pub. If you’re into cocktails try Cure on Feret, have a drink on the front porch of the Columns hotel on St. Charles, or check out Oak Wine Bar in Carrollton. Delachaise also has some good cocktails and hard to find liquor. All of these places are upscale and not your grandpa’s grungy neighborhood bar

There’s a wealth of architecture all along St. Charles and Prytania as well as the Garden Dist. The Lower Garden district immediately around Coliseum Square is also worth a look.

Good dinner places: Dante’s Kitchen, Brigtsens, Atchafalaya, Delmonico, Jacques-Imo’s,
Good cheaper places: Joey Ks, Guys Po-Boys, Slice Pizza , Steins, Parasol’s

Old 02-04-2012, 07:15 AM

3,039 posts, read 5,416,318 times
How about hiring bikes (or a tandem if you really want to get folks waving and smiling at you). You mentioned not going to the Lakefront very much. It's a nice ride around there and you can stop at Landrys for fabulous seafood in a really nice waterfront setting. Riding along Bayou St John is nice too, there's some nice houses there, without the grandeur of the Garden District. The part of Esplanade Ave by the Fairgrounds has a couple of good restaurants too.

I don't know of anything specific on March 9 but it's leading up to St Patricks Day (you've lived here, you know how there's pre-festivals for the actual festivals ), and on March 10 the Italian-American Marching Club is parading through the Quarter.

Welcome back!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
I don't know of anything specific on March 9 but it's leading up to St Patricks Day (you've lived here, you know how there's pre-festivals for the actual festivals ), and on March 10 the Italian-American Marching Club is parading through the Quarter.
That was the only thing I could think of--just partying before the party.

Thanks rburnett and jacq63 for your suggestions. I am eager to check out what I missed, but even more excited to see how it's changed. There aren't too many cities I find charming enough, but New Orleans is definitely one of them. I'm also hoping to take some time to visit the school I went to there (XULA) and find some things to take back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans