U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,574 times

Advertisements

Heyy,
So I just got accepted into the engineering department of Univetsity of New Orleans. I'm planning on starting this upcoming fall semester and I need as much advice as possible!
I've been to Nola a couple of times and I love it there. It is also great for my field (environmental engineering)
I'm debating wether to dorm or rent a room in a house.
If I do end up renting a room, where would be the best area to do so? That is close to the school and other fun areas?
I don't drive, but I am planning on getting a bike as well as riding my board. The safety concerns me, since I'm a woman and only 21. Any advice helps! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 12:40 PM

14,433 posts, read 20,920,354 times
You're gonna want to drive if you live anywhere off campus because the close areas to UNO are relatively dangerous especially for such a young woman and not being from there. Lakeview would be a good area to look for a room although I don't think in that area you will find many but I could be wrong. I think the Filmore area is good too but not so much on the rental rooms.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:06 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,636,929 times
I would suggest a 1-semester dorm room while you scout areas and roommates.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I would suggest a 1-semester dorm room while you scout areas and roommates.
thanks, I was actually thinking of doing that. Seems like a safe option for my first few months there, but it is def. more expensive.

I've been checking craigslist out, and while it is a bit too early, I saw a couple of rooms in lakeview. I'll check filmore out as well.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,032 times
Hello there! I am also planning on attending UNO this upcoming fall semester! I definitely recommend staying on campus. Im not sure if you have done a college campus tour but the dorms are newly built (2007 I believe) and look great. The campus also has a bus that ones around every 15 minutes and goes into the actual city. I don't recommend Traveling around outside of campus on Foot or bikes late at night though. Campus also has many food court options so if you are feeling lazy you don't have to travel far to eat ! Im not very familiar with living off campus though, sorry Hope I have helped you make your mind up!

Old 02-16-2012, 02:10 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,002,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudia View Post
Heyy,
So I just got accepted into the engineering department of Univetsity of New Orleans. I'm planning on starting this upcoming fall semester and I need as much advice as possible!
I've been to Nola a couple of times and I love it there. It is also great for my field (environmental engineering)
I'm debating wether to dorm or rent a room in a house.
If I do end up renting a room, where would be the best area to do so? That is close to the school and other fun areas?
I don't drive, but I am planning on getting a bike as well as riding my board. The safety concerns me, since I'm a woman and only 21. Any advice helps! Thanks.
Hi Cloudia, and welcome to New Orleans!

I'm a UNO engineering grad and I would second SouthernBelleInUtah's suggestion and spend your first semester on campus to get a better feel of the city before you commit to a long lease in an area you might not be 100% with.

The older part of town (between City Park and the River) is quite walkable and bike-able. However, the area around UNO is more spread out and suburban which makes getting around without a car a little more difficult. The area immediately around UNO is NOT a dangerous area, it's just easier to live on campus.

Some other helpful posts:
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...lace-move.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...e-student.html

The #55 Elysian Fields bus line runs from the campus to downtown every 30min or so till about 11:30 during the week. It's a little more infrequent on the weekends:Line

Here is the whole transit system: System Map

Old 02-16-2012, 06:26 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,403,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
Hi Cloudia, and welcome to New Orleans!

I'm a UNO engineering grad and I would second SouthernBelleInUtah's suggestion and spend your first semester on campus to get a better feel of the city before you commit to a long lease in an area you might not be 100% with.

The older part of town (between City Park and the River) is quite walkable and bike-able. However, the area around UNO is more spread out and suburban which makes getting around without a car a little more difficult. The area immediately around UNO is NOT a dangerous area, it's just easier to live on campus.

Some other helpful posts:
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...lace-move.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...e-student.html

The #55 Elysian Fields bus line runs from the campus to downtown every 30min or so till about 11:30 during the week. It's a little more infrequent on the weekends:Line

Here is the whole transit system: System Map
Seconded. When you have $500,000 houses within eyesight of campus, it's generally considered a pretty good area.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:59 PM

Thanks guys, So I guess the smartest thing for me to do will be to dorm my first semester. I was a bit reluctant about that since I read it's mostly a commuter school, but I'll find ways to make friends

Old 02-17-2012, 06:54 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,002,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudia View Post
Thanks guys, So I guess the smartest thing for me to do will be to dorm my first semester. I was a bit reluctant about that since I read it's mostly a commuter school, but I'll find ways to make friends
That was the case for a long time. However, in the last 10 years or so, student housing has more than doubled and there are a lot more people living on campus. There's also a lot more student involvement and activities throughout the year. Privateer Place and Ponchatrain Halls are both very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans