U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 06:40 AM

9 posts, read 18,093 times

Advertisements

Help! Single professional moving to NO. Would love to live in or near downtown, but my budget is $1,100/month. I don't care how small or old the place is as long as I have off-street parking and a washer/dryer.

ANOTHER OPTION: I would be willing to live away from the downtown area, but only if I had access to a "Park and Ride" service where I drive my car to a suburban bus depot and hop on a bus that goes nonstop to the Central Business District. Does this service exist and where can I find a "route map"?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 07:00 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,405,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInHouston View Post
Help! Single professional moving to NO. Would love to live in or near downtown, but my budget is $1,100/month. I don't care how small or old the place is as long as I have off-street parking and a washer/dryer.

ANOTHER OPTION: I would be willing to live away from the downtown area, but only if I had access to a "Park and Ride" service where I drive my car to a suburban bus depot and hop on a bus that goes nonstop to the Central Business District. Does this service exist and where can I find a "route map"?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!
We don't really have much in terms of park and rides, definitely not like Houston in that regard. On the other hand, the built-out area is much, much more compact than Houston, so most places really aren't that far of a commute. As far as living Downtown, one option would be the Saratoga, but downtown is pricey. I have a friend who lives there in a studio for $1200/month, but that includes parking. Another option would be the Saulet, just a stone's throw from Downtown. You could find a 1br within your budget and there is plenty of gated parking. I would check craigslist to get a better feel for what you can expect to pay.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
We don't really have much in terms of park and rides, definitely not like Houston in that regard. On the other hand, the built-out area is much, much more compact than Houston, so most places really aren't that far of a commute. As far as living Downtown, one option would be the Saratoga, but downtown is pricey. I have a friend who lives there in a studio for $1200/month, but that includes parking. Another option would be the Saulet, just a stone's throw from Downtown. You could find a 1br within your budget and there is plenty of gated parking. I would check craigslist to get a better feel for what you can expect to pay.
Another option, and cheaper, would be to live in Mid-City or Uptown and take the streetcar. They don't have a lot of the nasty attributes associated with riding the bus in an urban area, and that would let you get a nicer place. The website for the transit authority is: norta.com. The RTA only covers the city itself and Kenner, so again, that is not like Metro.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:28 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,003,342 times
Downtown proper, what we call the CBD/Warehouse district might be tough to do on $1100. You might find a small studio or 1br for that, but you're also going to have to pay for contract parking ($125+) if you have a car.

Another option is to look a mile or two away from downtown on one of the good transit corridors, as rents will be lower. The St. Charles streetcar and the Magazine St. bus are relatively frequent, run late at night and can get you downtown pretty easily. Look at the area in between St. Charles Ave. and Magazine St. obviously, the closer to downtown, the shorter you're commute will be. A transit ride from Napolean/Magazine to downtown will take ~15-20min.

The Saulet is not in these boundaries exactly, but is is definitely worth a look since there is guaranteed off street parking and you can just about walk downtown.

Another good corridor is Canal St. The streetcar there is also relatively frequent. Look at the area between Banks St. and Orleans Ave close to Carrollton Ave. A streetcar ride from Carrollton/Canal to downtown will also take ~15-20min.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Another option, and cheaper, would be to live in Mid-City or Uptown and take the streetcar. They don't have a lot of the nasty attributes associated with riding the bus in an urban area, and that would let you get a nicer place. The website for the transit authority is: norta.com. The RTA only covers the city itself and Kenner, so again, that is not like Metro.
Thanks for the advice on Saulet in your prior post...I went on their website and that is actually in a PEREFECT location with respect to where I will be working. SOO....I now have found a place I can stay if I don't find something I like better along the streetcar route you mentioned in your second post. To be honest, I have ridden that streetcar as a tourist in NO and didn't even think of trying to live along that route because the homes seemed super expensive. Maybe I didn't go down the route far enough?

Obviously you are familiar with Houston Metro and probably understand why I don't want to put myself in a situation where I am riding for an hour on a city bus that stops every two blocks!

Thanks again for the advice and if you think of any other tips on choosing neighborhoods, PLEASE post. Thanks!!!!

Old 02-17-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInHouston View Post
Thanks for the advice on Saulet in your prior post...I went on their website and that is actually in a PEREFECT location with respect to where I will be working. SOO....I now have found a place I can stay if I don't find something I like better along the streetcar route you mentioned in your second post. To be honest, I have ridden that streetcar as a tourist in NO and didn't even think of trying to live along that route because the homes seemed super expensive. Maybe I didn't go down the route far enough?

Obviously you are familiar with Houston Metro and probably understand why I don't want to put myself in a situation where I am riding for an hour on a city bus that stops every two blocks!

Thanks again for the advice and if you think of any other tips on choosing neighborhoods, PLEASE post. Thanks!!!!
You're welcome. As you have probably guessed, I was a resident of Houston at one point.

As far as the homes right on the streetcar route, yes, that's our equivalent of River Oaks... however many of the surrounding neighborhoods aren't as out of reach. Just look for apartments "Uptown", which is a pretty big area, and we can help you out.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
Downtown proper, what we call the CBD/Warehouse district might be tough to do on $1100. You might find a small studio or 1br for that, but you're also going to have to pay for contract parking ($125+) if you have a car.

Another option is to look a mile or two away from downtown on one of the good transit corridors, as rents will be lower. The St. Charles streetcar and the Magazine St. bus are relatively frequent, run late at night and can get you downtown pretty easily. Look at the area in between St. Charles Ave. and Magazine St. obviously, the closer to downtown, the shorter you're commute will be. A transit ride from Napolean/Magazine to downtown will take ~15-20min.

The Saulet is not in these boundaries exactly, but is is definitely worth a look since there is guaranteed off street parking and you can just about walk downtown.

Another good corridor is Canal St. The streetcar there is also relatively frequent. Look at the area between Banks St. and Orleans Ave close to Carrollton Ave. A streetcar ride from Carrollton/Canal to downtown will also take ~15-20min.

Thanks for these exact locations (including street names)....this is exactly the type of advice I was looking for. Saulet is my Plan B, but will be looking along Canal and St. Charles to see if I find something that I like better. I really would like to stay close-in so friends of mine from TX will happily come visit me during MG and the summer months as well.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:33 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,986 posts, read 5,983,343 times
there is algiers point.. i dont know the price of the apts but they are right be a ferry (free ride) and the street car is right there to take you almost anywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or