U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM

13 posts, read 27,366 times

Advertisements

I've been waiting a heck of a long time to say this but: We're finally moving to New Orleans!

My husband and I have been saving up for 3 years to make this happen. I was born down there, then moved around a lot growing up. Feel like I've been trying to get back permanently my entire adult life!

I don't need advice on neighborhoods or the like - familiar with all that. However, I've got 2 basic starter questions:

1.) We'll need to hole up in an extended-stay hotel sort of place for a bit, to start. Any good recommendations? Don't worry about budget details - I can easily pick through a list and work with that part.

2.) Banks. What is your favorite, "bestest" bank? That'll more than likely be my first New Orleanian errand.

Thanks, gang, I appreciate it in advance. I'm sure I'll be back with other inquiries as I think of them. Can't WAIT to be back in da fold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 03:32 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,371,867 times
DIsclaimer: my son works for them but Capital One has a lot of branches/ATMs around town.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:46 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,387,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
DIsclaimer: my son works for them but Capital One has a lot of branches/ATMs around town.
Capital One (bought Hibernia) and Whitney will have the most number of branches in town. Capital One may be a bit better if you intend to travel, though I'm not sure where there other branches are. Whitney is in the process of merging with Hancock (MS).

Old 02-24-2012, 07:11 PM

129 posts, read 287,825 times
Congrats on making your dream a reality. Check out either Extended Stay America in Metairie or Studio 6 (part of Motel 6) in New Orleans East. The Studio 6 is way out there and feels kind of desolate but it is about $150 cheaper a week. I think Extended Stay is like $450 a week with tax, which is a ridiculous amount. Hopefully you'll only have to live in the hotel for a month, otherwise it's a huge waste of money. We looked all over and these were really the only two options for extended hotel living.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:44 AM

Thank you for the advice, all!

It looks like Cap One will more than likely be the way to go. And I do appreciate a bank that has more branches, just makes life easier.

Summerwriter - you ain't kiddin'! It's amazing (read: horrifying, haha) how much those places cost. Extended Stay America particularly. Studio 6 didn't have anything available in our timeframe, but we would have gone for it if they'd had.

However, we DID find another place after about a ton of digging - will share it here for future reference:

Sun Suites New Orleans: Metarie
metairie extended stay hotel : Sun Suites

It will be interesting to see how they are - their price for our month was the best we found, though, clocking out at approximately $330-something a week (pretax) due to a Weekly Special that we lucked into. Hurrah!

24 days. Pace pace!

Old 02-28-2012, 01:01 PM

8 posts, read 13,534 times
have you thought of subletting? (seems more economical and less of a commute) Craigslist is full of listings. Also I've heard good things about Regions Bank or a local credit union..

Old 02-28-2012, 03:59 PM

Absolutely - I perused some subletting options, mainly on Craigslist but in a few other places as well. At this immediate time, our schedule seems to be kind of off with what is available, but I've definitely got that on my radar for the next couple months, in the event that we need to look for further temporary housing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans