U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:22 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,394,801 times

Advertisements

I may jinx myself, but I FINALLY got an interview (it went well) for a great job in NOLA and am gearing up for a possible move . YAY! This has been years in the making. Soooo excited.

Only trouble is, the position is located in Michoud on the grounds of a large federal facility. I have visited New Orleans extensively over the past ten years and am intimately familar with Uptown, Mid City, the Marigny, the French Quarter, etc., but not at all with the areas that surround this (possible, hopefully probable) job. I have done a little poking around and some of the areas I could land in don't seem fantastic.

I would like to have a commute that's close to a bus or public transport in the event I would like to utilize that option, somewhere reasonably safe (I have lived in various areas of DC for the last ten years, many neighborhoods in which I have been perfectly comfortable have freaked out my suburban dwelling friends), somewhere with decent access to restaurants, coffee houses, grocery stores (walkable) and within a $1300 month rental budget for a 1br. I am in my 30s, single without kids, don't need to be in party central but desirous of a 'hood with some fun stuff going on. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 02:12 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,387,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I may jinx myself, but I FINALLY got an interview (it went well) for a great job in NOLA and am gearing up for a possible move . YAY! This has been years in the making. Soooo excited.

Only trouble is, the position is located in Michoud on the grounds of a large federal facility. I have visited New Orleans extensively over the past ten years and am intimately familar with Uptown, Mid City, the Marigny, the French Quarter, etc., but not at all with the areas that surround this (possible, hopefully probable) job. I have done a little poking around and some of the areas I could land in don't seem fantastic.

I would like to have a commute that's close to a bus or public transport in the event I would like to utilize that option, somewhere reasonably safe (I have lived in various areas of DC for the last ten years, many neighborhoods in which I have been perfectly comfortable have freaked out my suburban dwelling friends), somewhere with decent access to restaurants, coffee houses, grocery stores (walkable) and within a $1300 month rental budget for a 1br. I am in my 30s, single without kids, don't need to be in party central but desirous of a 'hood with some fun stuff going on. Any suggestions?

With a $1300 budget for a 1br you can live almost anywhere you choose, and the nicest parts of Mid-City and Uptown would oth give you access to the streetcar lines. Mid-City would generally be an easier commute to Michoud. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:40 PM

14,343 posts, read 20,775,930 times
Bayou St. John, Gentilly?

Old 03-08-2012, 06:52 AM

Gentilly looks to have a lot of newer houses..I was hoping to live somewhere with cottages and more charming older homes. Any ideas of neighborhoods that might fit that bill?

Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,991,894 times
Quote:
Gentilly looks to have a lot of newer houses..I was hoping to live somewhere with cottages and more charming older homes. Any ideas of neighborhoods that might fit that bill?
It depends on what you mean by "older". The Gentilly Terrace neighborhood along Gentilly Rd. has a lot of beautiful pre-WWII houses and looks a lot different than the areas closer to the lake that were built later. However, it's more suburban and not quite as walkable as Mid-City, Bywater, etc. See: <GNOCDC> Gentilly Terrace Neighborhood

Check out the Fairgrounds/Bayou St. John neighborhood. It's located between Mid-City and Gentilly and has a lot of "older" houses (125+ yr/old). It's more laid back than Mid-City and Uptown and more urban and walkable than Gentilly and you'll still have easy time getting out to Michoud. The Broad St. bus is very frequent and can get you out to Michoud. See:http://www.norta.com/rta_system/syst...dex.html?ID=94

Old 03-08-2012, 01:12 PM

I GOT IT! They want me to start on April 9. Now I need a place to live...So much to do.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:08 PM

Congratulations

Old 03-10-2012, 02:44 PM

i am leasing short term a small place in Bayou St John. Anything to be aware of or careful about?

Old 03-10-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
i am leasing short term a small place in Bayou St John. Anything to be aware of or careful about?
Depending on where that actually is, you should have no problems. And you'll be a decent walk from the Canal streetcar, which will get you to the French Quarter in about 10-15 minutes. Also, you'll be within walking distance to the Fairgrounds, where Jazzfest is held- it's coming up late April / early May.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:52 PM

640 posts, read 1,065,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Depending on where that actually is, you should have no problems. And you'll be a decent walk from the Canal streetcar, which will get you to the French Quarter in about 10-15 minutes. Also, you'll be within walking distance to the Fairgrounds, where Jazzfest is held- it's coming up late April / early May.
There's also a bus that runs on Esplanade that takes you to the French Quarter and Canal Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans