U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:41 AM

14,343 posts, read 20,775,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Wouldn't be caught dead in that shirt.
Thats what I was gonna say!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 08:52 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,630,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
IMO they're more native than the so called "locals" who were born here but live out in the suburbs.
It really irks me when someone says this. To put down a group of people whose ancestors created and passed down the very culture that you now claim to be your own just makes it seem like you're trying too hard.

Yes there are locals who live in the Quarter. That number is dwindling because many "developers" have gotten hold of properties and turned them into tiny condos which are mostly used for short term stays. Sad really. I'm afraid we are going to see this occur over in the Marigny. The area has become gentrified and with it's proximity to the Quarter the condos will come. Watch out Treme' you could be next.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:36 PM

640 posts, read 1,065,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
It really irks me when someone says this. To put down a group of people whose ancestors created and passed down the very culture that you now claim to be your own just makes it seem like you're trying too hard.
Yeah, but it irks me when you have someone who chooses to live in Jeff Parish, constantly complains about how NOLA is so dangerous etc and how they don't want to pay Orleans taxes yet they claim to be a New Orleanian and part of the Who Dat Nation, yet aside from the French Quarter they couldn't tell you how to get anywhere in the city.

I know people that do this..

Aren't the people who actually take part of the culture on a daily basis more local than someone who chooses to live away from it because they don't like it except during Saints season or when they wanna get trashed?

Last edited by rcp11889; 03-17-2012 at 09:47 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 11:22 PM

53 posts, read 88,787 times
Go shopping in Dorignacs or Zuppardo's supermarkets in Metairie and tell me that the people in there aren't pure New Orleans.

Vic and Nat'ly are more likely to live in the suburbs these days than the city.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:10 AM

797 posts, read 1,215,619 times
In every city people choose to live in the suburbs whether it be for newer homes, better schools, or anything. Are you going to say they are not true New Orleanians just because they live 10 minutes outside of the parish lines. Anyways a lot of the people in the suburbs grew up in the city and decided to move out based on their own decisions. They all stay true to their culture and identity that they know and love even if they do live 10 or whatever mintues from the city.

Some locals do live in the quarter, not that many probably because it is too expensive and has small houses and lots. But it does get a lot more resindential/quieter once you get between Bourbon and Rampart but those residents probably wont be born in the city but probaly are locals.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:26 AM

I think Vic and Natly and Yat's in general have become synonymous with Metairie these days. Just because they have an accent doesn't mean they are true locals though. Someone who goes to the FQ 2 times a year to get Cafe Du Monde yet does all their business, schooling, etc.. in Metairie is not a true New Orleanian. In other metro areas people are proud of the suburb they live in and when asked they tell you that's where they are from. I don't think people should claim New Orleans pride if they willingly choose to ive in the suburbs because they specifically do not like the city.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Yeah, but it irks me when you have someone who chooses to live in Jeff Parish, constantly complains about how NOLA is so dangerous etc and how they don't want to pay Orleans taxes yet they claim to be a New Orleanian and part of the Who Dat Nation, yet aside from the French Quarter they couldn't tell you how to get anywhere in the city.

I know people that do this..

Aren't the people who actually take part of the culture on a daily basis more local than someone who chooses to live away from it because they don't like it except during Saints season or when they wanna get trashed?
I agree I hear a lot of bashing going on from people in the 'burbs, but let's face it NOLA culture doesn't suddenly end at the parish line. Taxes don't end at the parish line either. If I had a nickel for every Orleans parish resident who shops at the Chalmette Wal-mart or heads to Acme over in Metairie or if you had a nickel for every suburban who spent money in restaurants, playing tourist in the city, for every Saints game attended, or for every business owned, (for I know several NOLA business whose owners who live in the 'burbs and yet contribute taxes to the city via their businesses), well let's just say that everyone seems to contribute here in some way.

As far as knowing my way around, well, that ain't a problem for me, I can get you from Westwego to Lacombe and from Delacroix to St. Rose and hit the We Never Close in the East for lunch, and get you a Plum St. Snowball Uptown for dessert to take along for the ride. I've met natives who have never left their neighborhood who couldn't tell you how to get to the store in the next neighborhood over, so geographical knowledge isn't "proof" that some guy from Iowa who has lived here for ten years has absorbed more culture than some fifth generation native in Metairie. It's a silly idea.

St. Bernard parish actually was New Orleans at one time does that make Da Parish more native? Carroliton was in Jefferson Parish so does being Uptown make you less than native? That NOLA Yat accent? St. Bernard. Vic and Nat'ly? That's St. Bernard culture. Mr. Naturally New Orleans, Frank Davis? Slidell. Fats Domino? He's from St. Bernard. The Battle of NO? Fought in Chalmette. Charbroiled oysters? Drago's in Metairie. Ellen Degeneres? They moved to Metairie and became suburbanites when she was a kid. Better than Ezera? Those guys are from the Northshore. All claimed by New Orleans and yet by your standards these people, places and events have not contributed a thing to NOLA simply because of an imaginary line that has been drawn, not by the natives, but by someone who sounds insecure in their New Orleansness.

Really, to call someone out who has seven generations of culture and history passed down to them for hundreds of years and to tell them that they are less native because someone feels insecure, because they don't understand the culture enough to realize that neighborhood bashing is an actual part of the culture, because they don't understand the history that influenced these people and their ways, is just laughable.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:21 AM

14,343 posts, read 20,775,930 times
Quote:
I agree I hear a lot of bashing going on from people in the 'burbs, but let's face it NOLA culture doesn't suddenly end at the parish line. Taxes don't end at the parish line either. If I had a nickel for every Orleans parish resident who shops at the Chalmette Wal-mart or heads to Acme over in Metairie or if you had a nickel for every suburban who spent money in restaurants, playing tourist in the city, for every Saints game attended, or for every business owned, (for I know several NOLA business whose owners who live in the 'burbs and yet contribute taxes to the city via their businesses), well let's just say that everyone seems to contribute here in some way.

As far as knowing my way around, well, that ain't a problem for me, I can get you from Westwego to Lacombe and from Delacroix to St. Rose and hit the We Never Close in the East for lunch, and get you a Plum St. Snowball Uptown for dessert to take along for the ride. I've met natives who have never left their neighborhood who couldn't tell you how to get to the store in the next neighborhood over, so geographical knowledge isn't "proof" that some guy from Iowa who has lived here for ten years has absorbed more culture than some fifth generation native in Metairie. It's a silly idea.

St. Bernard parish actually was New Orleans at one time does that make Da Parish more native? Carroliton was in Jefferson Parish so does being Uptown make you less than native? That NOLA Yat accent? St. Bernard. Vic and Nat'ly? That's St. Bernard culture. Mr. Naturally New Orleans, Frank Davis? Slidell. Fats Domino? He's from St. Bernard. The Battle of NO? Fought in Chalmette. Charbroiled oysters? Drago's in Metairie. Ellen Degeneres? They moved to Metairie and became suburbanites when she was a kid. Better than Ezera? Those guys are from the Northshore. All claimed by New Orleans and yet by your standards these people, places and events have not contributed a thing to NOLA simply because of an imaginary line that has been drawn, not by the natives, but by someone who sounds insecure in their New Orleansness.

Really, to call someone out who has seven generations of culture and history passed down to them for hundreds of years and to tell them that they are less native because someone feels insecure, because they don't understand the culture enough to realize that neighborhood bashing is an actual part of the culture, because they don't understand the history that influenced these people and their ways, is just laughable.
Well said.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:

For the record, I was born and raised in the city and went to school in the city my entire life. I've been friends with uptown rich kids, westbank people, metairie people, lakeview kids, downtowners, etc. I don't doubt that people in the suburbs are culturally like people in NOLA. I just REALLY don't like having to listen to people *** about how NOLA is just not the same anymore and it's too dangerous and they don't wanna do their shopping in the city. You are right that a lot of people in the suburbs grew up in NOLA and what not. By the way, Yat = 9th ward also. But the younger generation of suburbanites did not ever grow up in the city. As time goes on, we are starting to see 3rd generations of people in Metairie and Kenner. Growing up, I always thought of the Yat accent as a Metairie accent. When does suburban culture become its own thing?

History is important. However, what's going on right now is more relevant.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:57 AM

Well I think it's gotten to the point where we have highjacked this poor guy's post wanting to know about locals in the Quarter so I'm going to say this and give the OP back his thread... If you are from here, you should know that there are some things that can be said and some things that shouldn't be said. You can make fun of Chalmations for their shrimp boots, or those Best Bankers by letting them think it's the best bank, but you cannot tell someone that they aren't native and think they are going to sit down and take it. That is the same as telling a non-native local that they are, "just another Tulane Student from New Jersey." Hurling general insults, and you know that's a big one, on a thread because some guy from Metairie has issues isn't fair or polite. In NOLA there are acceptable jests and then there are just plain old insults, if you are from here you know the difference and when unprovoked they should not be used. NOLA is not the same, I remember when you had to get dressed up to go shopping on Canal St.; I remember when doing lunch at Holmes' was a deal, and I remember a time when it was a huge deal to see a report of a murder on the news. The suburban kids don't remember this, but they sure do hear their parents and grandparents lament on the NOLA that was and that is where the attitude comes from. If you don't know your past, you are doomed to repeat it.

It's nice outside, I suggest we all get off the net and go do something and I for one will agree to play nice because honestly I don't like holding a grudge, life is too short. I offer RCP and RBurnette a virtual snowball (and will include the condensed milk in order to be fancy), in the interest peace and having a good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans