Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 12:21 AM

Location: Used to live in Poughkeepsie, Staten Island, and Howard Beach
16 posts, read 16,578 times

Advertisements

New Orleans is very hit or miss.
In NOLA ( real city limit wise), you're always in short distance to a high crime rate neighborhood, unless you live in the lakeside neighborhood- which isn't to far from fat city metairie area.

Living in NOLA is living in an urban atmosphere- like city.
What's even more so is that NOLA usually reports some of the highest murder rates in the country.
So if you connect all the dots and read in between the lines with all of this info, it's pretty clear to see that living in the crescent city is no paradise safety city.
But hey, it's a one and only city of it's kind.
It's new orleans, take it or leave it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2020, 06:25 AM

599 posts, read 498,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
LOL, completely disagree. I don't see people in NOLA as rude at all. Also, don't agree with your observations on customer service.
Just an early retiree white guy here. I spend a week or so, in NOLA every winter. As always, I go out of my way to be friendly and kind to everybody in a service position. I spent years serving customers, and have no tolerance for those that are less that respectful, or worse, as customers. I open every conversation with a cheery hello, and use please, thank you, etc....

I have been, on multiple occasions, treated like trash by customer service people in NOLA. Everything from rudeness, to being ignored, to flat out hostility. Typically it's young to middle aged black women who are the worst. Although I was once enjoying cocktails and oysters in one of the finest establishments in the French Quarter, while being treated worst that dog poop on a shoe, by a waiter that was just nasty to me and my wife. That guy's disdain for his fellow man would put the worst of NYC's famous, "why ya' bothering me, pal?" brand of hostile service to shame. He was unfit to be around humans, much less in a tux at a white tablecloth joint. I have traveled extensively in the states, and only ever experienced this as a clear pattern in NOLA and Houston. Just my personal observation, but it isn't hard finding rude, even hostile folks behind the counter in any random NOLA encounter.

Last edited by wharton; 11-01-2020 at 07:16 AM..

Old 11-12-2020, 03:05 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
I have a question.

Is New Orleans worth living in for a few years in your mid 20s? Is there another city in America (preferably the south) that could potentially be just as fun? Should I just move to Houston (or somewhere closer) and visit New Orleans as much as I can?

Old 11-12-2020, 04:25 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,662,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I have a question.

Is New Orleans worth living in for a few years in your mid 20s? Is there another city in America (preferably the south) that could potentially be just as fun? Should I just move to Houston (or somewhere closer) and visit New Orleans as much as I can?
Some other options include Mobile, Alabama; Asheville, North Carolina; Greenville, South Carolina; and Lafayette, Louisiana.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:50 PM

140 posts, read 256,157 times
Quote:
I have a question.

What else are you looking for at this phase of your life? That may sway things.

You could do Houston if you really wanna be "in the middle of it all", and still be four-ish hours from NO (depending on who done wrecked what at the river crossing into Baton Rouge and how long it takes to clean it up). On the other end, you could do Mobile AL as a previous poster mentioned--its really done a nice job of raising its profile of late. Or you Coyne slide 45v minutes further east into Pensacola FL and *sarcastic sigh* be right near most of the beaches and such; that'll put you three hours from NO.

Or you could land right in NO and be roughly equidistant to both extremes, while enjoying all that NO offers (to the extent that the 'rona allows) and still have pretty decent access to all in between.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:13 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850_branded View Post
What else are you looking for at this phase of your life? That may sway things.

You could do Houston if you really wanna be "in the middle of it all", and still be four-ish hours from NO (depending on who done wrecked what at the river crossing into Baton Rouge and how long it takes to clean it up). On the other end, you could do Mobile AL as a previous poster mentioned--its really done a nice job of raising its profile of late. Or you Coyne slide 45v minutes further east into Pensacola FL and *sarcastic sigh* be right near most of the beaches and such; that'll put you three hours from NO.

Or you could land right in NO and be roughly equidistant to both extremes, while enjoying all that NO offers (to the extent that the 'rona allows) and still have pretty decent access to all in between.
I like New Orleans because of its unique feel, especially compared to Texas cities, which are basically never ending suburbs. I have lived all of my life in San Antonio and while it is ok party wise I would like to experience something different. Other things I am looking for? I guess stuff to do, which I will find wherever the party is. I'm not picky. A lower cost of living and a high quantity of high paying jobs is a good thing, but I don't necessarily want to sacrifice the party aspect for it. Other places I have considered are DC and Atlanta. I've heard lots of southerners who don't want to move all the way north move to DC, and I've also heard it's a very fun place. Main cons are cost of living and not sure I'd be able to find a job as I go to a small college in Texas. Also considered Atlanta, I have a buddy that lived there and he says it would be even more fun than Nola. I'm not quite sure about that but I think he is right about it being a fun place. I can't say I've been to either of these cities, so I would have to visit first.

Last edited by supfromthesite; 11-24-2020 at 09:39 AM..

Old 11-15-2021, 11:02 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
Some other options include Mobile, Alabama; Asheville, North Carolina; Greenville, South Carolina; and Lafayette, Louisiana.
About the only other city on your list that would qualify would be Asheville.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:29 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Atlanta, I have a buddy that lived there and he says it would be even more fun than Nola.
That would be an interesting comparison.

Old 11-17-2021, 05:59 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,853,815 times
It's interesting how many answers are something like "no city is perfectly safe" That doesn't really answer the question(to be fair it's almost 10 years old).

We're on city-data.com btw. The data has been in and some cities are safer than others. Almost every city on Earth is safer than NOLA and most of them are a lot safer. That doesn't mean there aren't relatively areas within the city or other reasons to live in and enjoy the city. At least be honest about the facts though otherwise it's hard to take the rest of the post seriously.

Old 11-17-2021, 06:16 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
I lived in New Orleans from 1990-2000,I am telling you there is no place in US like New Orleans,I lived near by Tulane Campus,walk down the street you see houses ,not apartments.
There is wilting banana tree,there are so called gunshot houses,where you can stand at the doorway and shoot a bullet all the way into the wall of the kitchen,students are messy,they will take out the garbage after the garbaage truck is gone,but being young and active,they are always in and out about,which helps.
Rent is lower,many private homes rent out a garden apt or room to get some extra income,
Hop on a streetcar and you end up downtown,cross the street you are in French Quarter and you are in the company of tourists from all around the world,no one cares who you are,and everyone just want to have a good time.
is it safe?depends,you just have to be street smart.
It is different,but old houses all have a mildew problem and wall weep !some residents end up with hypo thyroid,or fungal infection.
Then there is Riverwalk not far from the Quarter and there is outdoor where you can enjoy street music or stroll around inside the mall.
Being close t o Tulane campus .you can join their gym,big swimming pools,exercise room,use their library and enjoy their concerts and movies,eat in their cafeteria too.
if you can afford it,try renting a house on ST Charles St.
You can make good money renting out your home during MARDI Gras and Jazz festival.
This is for singles,if you have young kids,you will need to enroll your kids in private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans