U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:49 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,406,956 times

Advertisements

My grandma was Romanian and incredibly superstitous. I was compiling a list of things she told me when I was growing up (never return to the house after you've left = bad luck, don't put your purse on the floor = your money will drain out of your life, don't let a cat in the room while you are telling a secret = it will turn into gossip or get compromised in some way, etc.)

One of the reasons that I am so excited to move to New Orleans is that its a very soulful, rich place with its own share of local customs and supertstitions. I am familiar with a few, like the lagniappe concept, but I wondered if there were other less common ones anyone has to share. I always find this stuff fascinating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 12:02 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,402,221 times
Red beans and rice on Monday.

Lucky beans from St. Joseph's altars.

The whole Lenten season.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:14 PM

208 posts, read 375,446 times
Thank for the interesting thread, confusedasusual!

I've never been to New Orleans but my childhood barber was a colorful old Cajun. When he cut my hair, little bits would fly around, get in my nose and cause me to sneeze uncontrollably and repeatedly. After awhile, he learned that there was no use trying to continue the haircut till my sneezing fit had passed.

Instead he would leap backwards, strike a defensive posture with his scissors and razor strap and scream, SCAT, SCAT!!!, apparently, implying that my sneezing fits reminded him of a couple of cats fighting in the alley. It never failed to evoke hysterical laughter from the crowd of guys in the other barber chairs and waiting area.

Years later, I was relating this story to a friend at school, who knew the family even better than I and he told me that the barber was quite superstitious and may very well have been trying to chase away evil spirits that may have been expelled through my sneezing.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:54 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,607,256 times
Burying a St. Joseph statue upside in the ground if you are trying to sell your house.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Burying a St. Joseph statue upside in the ground if you are trying to sell your house.
I've always wondered who the patron saint of realtors, is.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 PM

4,194 posts, read 9,604,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
That's nationwide I think, we even know that one in Canada.

P.S. Great thread, I love it!

Old 03-21-2012, 10:08 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,640,481 times
Use crushed brick to scrub the front stoop for protection from evil. Play jazz music on March 19th to protect yourself from the axe man, (we never made this a practice, but I can remember my Dad mentioning this and being scared and they had to assure me the axe man was long dead). Then there was my Grams who said we should cross the street instead of walking in front of the Lalaurie house, (when asked why I was told it was a "bad" house by my Grams).

I don't know about these, but Grams said that it was bad luck to kill a spider in the house and to never put a hat on the bed because it means someone will die.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,406,956 times
Who is the patron saint of artificial limbs-- isn't there some little chapel where people cast off their prosthesis? Someone was telling me about that.

The Axe Man is a great New Orleans boogeyman, and I have heard about the LaLaurie murders many a time. Of course, there is a ton of stuff around Voo Doo-- triple Xs on Marie Laveau's grave and an offering. I feel like what I know is mainly the stuff they tell tourists. Any traditions or superstitions around food? New Orleans has such a fantastic food culture.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Who is the patron saint of artificial limbs-- isn't there some little chapel where people cast off their prosthesis? Someone was telling me about that.

The Axe Man is a great New Orleans boogeyman, and I have heard about the LaLaurie murders many a time. Of course, there is a ton of stuff around Voo Doo-- triple Xs on Marie Laveau's grave and an offering. I feel like what I know is mainly the stuff they tell tourists. Any traditions or superstitions around food? New Orleans has such a fantastic food culture.
I've felt drawn to New Orleans since I was a child and have often had dreams where I was walking through its streets, alleyways or courtyards, (don't know what they were, really), though oddly, there were no people around. I've also dreamed that I was walking through that cemetery, (I think it is called St. Louis Cemetery), with the above-ground mausoleums. I have a strong interest in metaphysical and occult subjects and this is one of the many reasons I am so interested in New Orleans.

As I mentioned earlier, I've never been there but have conversed frequently with those who have both in person and online. Of course, opinions on various subjects can differ quite a bit, depending on who you're talking to. One of the more striking observations I've made is that virtually everyone I've communicated with seems to take Santeria Voodoo to be deadly serious, extremely potent and something not to be messed with or taken lightly in any context. Naturally, that makes me want to learn more about it but apparently, even that, can be dangerous.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:07 PM

797 posts, read 1,221,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
The chapel is St. Roch Chapel in St. Roch Cemetary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or