U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 AM

11 posts, read 21,099 times

Advertisements

Do any of the colleges in NOLA waive out of state tuition for adjacent areas or have any requirements/incentives that would reduce or eliminate that fee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 03:49 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,957,599 times
Southeastern La University waives out of state tuition if your GPA is above a certain number. It is a college about 60 miles away from NOLA. They also offer other scholarships, making it very affordable.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:43 PM

113 posts, read 409,980 times
loyola is one of the most expensive colleges there, but their aid packages are outstanding. the same goes for tulane. you might also try xavier. it sounds odd, but apply to the most expensive private colleges in the area - they have more money and better financial aid. the public schools that are struggling, like UNO, cost a lot w/ out of state tuition and they can't afford to give out grants and scholarships right and left.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 AM

11 posts, read 21,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey87 View Post
loyola is one of the most expensive colleges there, but their aid packages are outstanding. the same goes for tulane. you might also try xavier. it sounds odd, but apply to the most expensive private colleges in the area - they have more money and better financial aid. the public schools that are struggling, like UNO, cost a lot w/ out of state tuition and they can't afford to give out grants and scholarships right and left.
That's very interesting to know about the financial aid at Loyola because I didn't realize how expensive it was until now ! It seems like it would be an amazing place to study fine arts though.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:41 AM

113 posts, read 409,980 times
^ it definitely is. i'd give them a shot. they gave me a huge grant because my EFC is low. last year when i was there, they even had extra work study positions. my impression is that they're doing very well and they go out of their way to give students aid so they can attend.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:25 PM

310 posts, read 773,503 times
I didn't go to Loyola, but the high priced college idea is correct. I went to a small, very expensive liberal arts college and got more financial aid than I would've at a State-funded school. I ended up paying way less than what I would've at a public institution. It was mostly merit and need-based, but the "exclusive" private college granted me more free aid than I could've imagined. Sometimes the story is that they WANT you to go there if you're a good student or in some lower income bracket (or both!). You just have to take the time to apply for what they offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or