Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 12:34 PM

268 posts, read 741,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
The I'bervile Projects have been there for a long time. Not really going to be your problem.

If you look like you know your way around, and like you belong there, you will be left alone.
Definitely, you should not go out wandering alone until you know your way around a bit.

Seriously, NOLA can be a scary place.
Though when I was there, I went anywhere I liked, and never was bothered. And I was a nerdy looking white boy.
This is good advice. I had a girl come to visit me from Denton, TX one time, near Carnival time, and as we rolled across
Canal St into the quarter to go and park, she rolled up her windows and looked over at me for support or confirmation that
we were really in it now. I laughed at her and told her to roll down her window and enjoy the smells and sounds of one of
the most wonderful cities in the world. You have to look like you belong. These people are hanging around looking for a
quick handout from some unsuspecting tourist. Lotsa hotels in that area. But they know better than to mess with locals.
NOPD tolerates a LOT out of tourists, but they don't put up with much BS on Canal St. Treat those people as your neighbors,
say 'wussup' when you pass, or better yet, 'Where-Yat, baby'....but don't get involved in conversations with them. That's what
they want, people who are too polite or too stupid to scrape off their vagrant or panhandling BS. I am not sure I would live there
long term, once you get established and see something you'd rather, but right now you are right on one great streetcar line, and
a couple blocks away from the best one...either one can take you to some great places to relax and enjoy the true city.
Let yourself enjoy it. YES, this is what I would call a very 'colorful' area, it starts to get pretty REAL there pretty quick.
but watch a few episodes of Treme', cause you are basically IN IT now, lol. This is where the REAL New Orleans starts. You are
not in the 'kansas' of the quarter here, and you don't WANT to be. You are safe enough. Use your Streetcar and bus pass to
take you to wonderful places....go get a poboy and spend the day out on the lakefront. Take the streetcar to Audubon Park and
watch the hotties...............Besides, you will be too busy to LIVE, anyway...

Last edited by BradfromNO; 05-07-2012 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 12:48 PM

268 posts, read 741,362 times
I also like what Dport said, Wear Shades and walk with a purpose. The shades are essential. You can check people out without
'eye-ballin" them. Because you will WANT to look people straight in the eyes, not at your feet. You want to see everything coming
and HEAR what you can't see. As time goes by and money starts to flow again, you will find you love that area.

There was a song in the old days that you need to embrace...."Basin St, Basin St, where the black and white folks meet...." This is
probably the most cosmopolitan city on earth. Nowhere near the most ethnically diverse, but it's really WAY More than you can ever
imagine. New York would LOVE to have the romance associated with NO. It's much more like Paris than you would ever think. The city
is known and loved by millions of people who have never been there. It's really magical.........and hot as hell.
If you ever need advice, gimme a shout. I can give you some project activities for free weekends, a bit of a bucket list for the city.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:32 PM

7 posts, read 15,715 times
Just watch yourself and don't try to be something you're not. Trying to look like you're bad is a bunch of bulls*&T. You still stick out. Just stay on the main drag when walking back to the medical center. Don't use any side streets. As a matter of fact go to the E. R. or Operating Room and get yourself one of those disposible no. 10 blades. Keep that on your person. Things happen fast, be prepared. Not trying to scare you but "real" is "real".

Lionel

Old 05-09-2012, 09:37 PM

458 posts, read 614,273 times
It sounds like you're just not used to living in cities, because there's nothing unusual about that neighborhood - well, except that it's part of New Orleans and thus has lots more culture and character but the crime situation is the same as any significant city.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:05 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,141,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
It sounds like you're just not used to living in cities, because there's nothing unusual about that neighborhood - well, except that it's part of New Orleans and thus has lots more culture and character but the crime situation is the same as any significant city.
It's best she ask from the reviews she read. It is New Orleans and it has a reputation.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:17 PM

94 posts, read 219,364 times
The few that wander out of the Iberville during the day are just looking for handouts. Not much to worry about until after dark, especially when its hot.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:53 PM

7 posts, read 15,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
I was born and raised in New Orleans. I trained at Charity Hospital right across the street from Tulane Medical Center. I often caught the city bus (St. Bernard) right along side that Krauss building on Basin St. I remember when the Iberville Housing Project was only inhabited by "whites" and no other races were allowed to live there. I personally witness crimes commited in front of the Krauss Building while waiting for the bus. Just this past Monday I was in Washington DC at Union Station and saw many National Park Police all over the place and still felt it important to keep my wits about me. So I don't think it sounds as if I'm not used to living in cities. But you are right the crime is the same in most cities, especially at night. You just have to be careful and don't place yourself in harms way.

Lionel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans