U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,603 times

Advertisements

We've lived in Baton Rouge for the past 5 years and I was just approached at work about whether I'd be interested in transferring to our plant in St. Charles Parish. Honestly, I would love to do it because the office environment down there is a million times better. My husband is a local tv news producer, so assuming he could get a job, he's excited about getting into a larger market as well.

We would prefer to live in the city. I'm used to a longer drive (right now I drive from the east side of BR to Plaquemine every day. Hate that afternoon traffic). I'd prefer for it to be shorter timewise than what I'm doing now if possible, but what we hate about our neighborhood right now is how suburban it feels.

If you're familiar with Baton Rouge neighborhoods, we love the Garden District, Beauregard Town, Spanish Town. We were actually planning on moving to the BR Garden District in the next year or so, so this opportunity comes at a good time for us.

We were thinking uptown, lower garden district? Any others we should be looking at? There's a house we're interested in for sale right now in a neighborhood called Milan. Address is 3701 Carondelet if that helps. Is that a good neighborhood, or to be avoided?

Any neighborhoods with a similar feel (old houses, small yards, walkable), access to public transport, good for kids that we should be looking at? Our budget will probably be $3-400k if that helps any.

Also, is NOLA good for kids? We both grew up in Memphis, and my family was at museums, zoos, etc. every other weekend growing up. That's something I want for my future kids and it's something I see as lacking here in Baton Rouge. The museums are so small and just not that great. Not anything you'd want to go to over and over again.

Any info or opinions are really appreciated! Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:33 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,438,477 times
In general, it is better to stay on the river side of St. Charles. That particular house looks very nice, though, although it does say that a sale is pending.

I don't know much about the BR real estate market, but places like the Garden District here are probably quite a bit more expensive, relatively. However, you have a pretty sizable budget, so if you look around you should be able to find a place to your liking. Since you live in BR I would take a weekend trip down here and really scope out the available neighborhoods before you decide to move.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,603 times
Thanks! We will definitely take the time to come down.

I have some friends that live in uptown (I think?) that could show me the different neighborhoods.

And thanks for the info on that house. I'm looking on Trulia and it seems they're always a bit behind! We'll have to sell here first anyway so best not to fall in love with anything, right? I'll keep your advice in mind about being in between St. Charles and the river. That helps a lot!

Old 05-05-2012, 12:14 AM

129 posts, read 290,105 times
If you're planning on having kids in the near future, avoid buying a home with lead paint. I didn't realize that lead paint was in almost every Uptown apartment (unless it's been renovated) and we got ourselves into a bad situation. We have a 9-month-old baby and rented an apartment in a building that was built in the late 1800s - big, big mistake. We signed a lead waiver but were told that there probably wasn't paint in the unit. We moved in and took a home lead test - there was peeling lead paint everywhere. We had a slumlord manager Moderator cut: consumer complaints not allowed, libelous so the place was in really bad condition. We didn't notice the peeling, chipping paint until after we moved in and had to move out within a few weeks. There is no way that I'm exposing my baby to that lead and now we're basically homeless and moving back to California.

Anyway, just be careful. Yes, old does equal charming, but it can also mean danger for babies and kids. I read that there are A LOT of lead poisoning cases in New Orleans and it doesn't surprise me.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-05-2012 at 06:14 AM..

Old 05-07-2012, 09:58 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,020,684 times
Another good relocation thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...l#post22721441

I would reccomend you rent for the first year until you decide exactly what neighborhood you want to be in. New Orleans has a complex fabric of neighborhoods where the vibe can change in a matter of blocks.

That particular block of Carondolet may look beautiful, but its very close to Central City on the other side of Louisiana and crime can
be more of an issue than areas further Uptown. Looks can be deceiving here. Just because a neighborhood looks rough doesn't mean there's a lot of crime and vice versa.

If you want acces to good transit, then your best bets are along St. Charles, Magazine St., or Canal St. St. Charles and Canal St. have streetcars ans Magazine has a bus. The Claiborne and Tulane bus are also pretty frequent, but they do pass through some dicey areas along
their route. Check out the bus and streetcar schedules/maps
here:http://www.norta.com/rta_system/index.html

The Lower Garden District (Between St. Charles and Magazine from Jackson down to the expressway) is pretty safe, close to downtown and has a nice park. Most buildings have multiple units with very few single family homes.

Further uptown there are a lot of nice areas with a mix of single and multi-family houses. Anywhere between St. Charles and Magazine is prime real estate and relatively safe. The closer you are to Audubon Park, the safer it is. Once you get up past Napolean, you can really look anywhere from Feret down to the river.

Here is a map of what is, statistically, the safest part of Uptown: //www.city-data.com/forum/attac...ods-uptown.jpg

Even further uptown, Carrollton is also a good option. Look near the intersection of Carrollton and St. Charles. The closer you are to the major streets, the better.

Don't discount Mid-City either. Look at the area close to Canal St. between Jeff Davis and City Park Ave as well as the area between Orleans and City Park. All the same architecure and oak trees as Uptown, but for a lower price.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:20 PM

268 posts, read 670,982 times
Being a long time St. Charles Parish Resident, I say the heck with that, LIVE IN ST. CHARLES! NOLA is great, a fantastic city,
but if there is one thing I learned in my 20 years living there and decades of going home to visit, New Orleans is never nicer
than when you can go home to the quiet swamp after visiting it. Our church was built mostly by plant engineer's families,
and you won't find a better place to raise your family than St. Charles Parish. PM ME, I would be glad to hear what plant is
sending you. I no longer live there, but have many friends that do...but if you want the city lights, it's not a bad commute
heading OUT of the city in the am and into it in the PM.....haha, I am in Memphis NOW, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or