U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 10:33 PM

210 posts, read 377,624 times

Advertisements

This thread is a joy to read. Just love seeing people in New Orleans talking about what they love about that wonderful city. I've only visited NOLA once, post Katrina. But I loved the place - a totally unique city like no other in America.

As for the few naysayers, they are entitled to their opinion. And I would say to them, yes NOLA has problems (every city has problems!), but there's so much unique good stuff there, why not focus on that and just enjoy it. That doesn't mean you are pretending the problems don't exist. Rather it means you are not letting those problems ruin the experience of living (or visiting) there.

Anyway, I'm coming back for a visit, a visit I am looking forward to. I continue to wish New Orleans the best in its post Katrina comeback.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 01:33 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,673,162 times
New thing to love:

Sunday at about noon I heard distant music which became louder and louder. When I left my house, there was a large second line dancing its way down Esplanade. King Zulu was riding in a gold convertible horns, babydolls, stilt walkers and even a few floats. EVERYBODY was crowding around in the median taking pictures, dancing and generally enchanted.

There is NOTHING like that in any other city in the country. Sorry, but if you don't get swept up in that, you will never get what is so special about this place.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:06 PM

605 posts, read 1,002,331 times
Ahh yes, we're coming up to Half Way to Mardi Gras!

Should be some good events around town this weekend! I know there will be the Red Dress Run and Dirty Laundry Party. Probably some other krewes around too.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:14 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,717,363 times
I love that my local bar is run by two rednecks from Texas and that it's not uncommon to see gay men dancing with black women there.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:57 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,673,162 times
Wow- I have to add, OCTOBER. What a beautiful month so far! It seems like all the flowers in my courtyard were waiting until it cooled down to burst into bloom and the sunrises/sets have been incredible. Its like Indian Summer on steroids.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:12 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,418,760 times
I just moved here a couple weeks ago and I'm in love with this city. It's such a special, unique city!

There's no Pizza Hut in the city limits that I know of... and normally that would tick me off but.. here it feels like that's the way it should be (in that national chain places are rare!)

The people couldn't care less if you're gay / straight / bi / trans / black / white / hispanic / short / tall / christian / muslim / atheist / buddhist / rich / poor ... if you are nice they'll be nice back! Yes you'll find the occasional snob here but mostly the people will help you with a smile!

As annoying as the street traffic and layout of the streets can be ("No left turns" anyone?) it's okay because for some reason it makes me chuckle and smile.

People here find much more to talk about than occupation.

People here will wait for you and not give you a hard time about it (except when they're driving - I've heard more car horns here than when I was in Boston!!). We were visiting a few months ago and going on a swamp tour, and they held the entire tour back for 10 minutes waiting for us to get there!

I can get better food at a gas station than I can get in all of Shreveport.

Finding hidden gems like cheap eats and hangout spots is SO fun!!

As touristy as the quarter can feel sometimes, I love it! The music is just so beautiful (except Bourbon at night).

The preservation of the city is fantastic! NOLA has more historic neighborhoods than any city in the US. The houses and commercial property are just such a treat to see when strolling through the city. You can drive for miles and have a sense that you're seeing history, as opposed to any other city where you'll only find the historic areas in a few blocks throughout.

Just a spirit that is hard to describe. The spirit here even survives disasters like Katrina. Everybody I talked to in Shreveport that was relocated because of the storm dreams of going back. The people I told I was moving here were envious if they lived here before. I talked to a girl from Suddenlink customer service for about 15 minutes about this city. She lived here but is currently going to school in Texas, I could tell she really missed NOLA and I can't blame her.

The Saints - win or lose I love them

There's always a festival or celebration of some sort here. I've only been here for 2 weekends and so far I've been invited to 3 or 4 festivals! Something to do or see is ALWAYS around. Where I'm from you have to wait about 4 months to have something exciting to see!

Old 10-17-2012, 09:41 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,717,363 times
I wouldn't worry about Pizza Hut. The local franchisee ran into some money problems and corporate is building their own.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:53 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,418,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I wouldn't worry about Pizza Hut. The local franchisee ran into some money problems and corporate is building their own.
My point is there are tons of them in any other city with a sizeable population. In New Orleans... you have to drive to the burbs to see one. It seems people here would much rather have home based food!

Old 04-05-2013, 01:47 PM

2,302 posts, read 5,491,760 times
My s/o and I just visited New Orleans and returned earlier this week. It was my first visit; he had been to NOLA several other times. He used to talk about how he wants to be cremated and his ashes scattered all throughout the city. Now I can see why. I loved everything about the visit--the warm late March/early April days and nights (the day after we returned home to NC, we had heavy rain and temps around 40 as daytime highs with sleet and snow not far away...this is April, not January!)...the feeling of being free and no one really caring about your lifestyle...all the unique, nonchain restaurants in the Quarter...the accents (I love, love, love!!!)...the parades (we were there Easter weekend and saw 2 of the 3 on Easter Day)...the warm and friendly people...the walkability of the area in general...the beignets from Cafe du Monde...the jumbalaya...all these observations are reflective of our visit, which was primarily in the Quarter (we did go on a bus tour through the Garden District and the Central Business District, though). I love your city--it has worn on me. I want to return to New Orleans so bad! If I win the lottery tomorrow, I'm buying a second house either in the Quarter or in the Garden District. Thank you for sharing it with us and making a lifelong impression on me!

Old 04-06-2013, 03:09 AM

75 posts, read 176,480 times
I have been hooked ever since my first visit. There is just an undefinable quality to New Orleans that you either get or you don't. I feel like the city is in my blood and I really don't think I will be satisfied until I can move there permanently. My partner and I were also there on Easter and I miss it so much! We took our son and his boyfriend for their first visit and hey also fell in love, thank God because I don't know what I'd do if they didn't want to be there as badly as we do! I am rambling I know, but loving NO is a little like your first love...you can't stop talking and thinking about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans