Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:54 PM

48 posts, read 80,235 times

Advertisements

Well, I suppose I could visit just to see the city in general but there's no way I could go up and down every street to make sure I know what I'm getting into before renting (since it sounds like every block can be compeletely different in terms of safety). I also can't fly from California every time I find an ad for a rental. But, I need to move as I'm transfering to Tulane (Uptown campus) mid-August.

So my major concern is safety. Otherwise, it'd be nice to be close to the campus or, if not, at least be close to some kind of nightlife. I have a car but I really prefer to walk/bike/public transit. I'm 30 and single and I'd prefer a studio/1 bedroom but am not opposed to rooming if I have to in order to be in a nice place (my budget can probably handle $700 a month).

I lived in Harlem, Queens, and Brooklyn in NY and I live in SF right now so I'm comfortable with city life. I even worked in crack-central (the Tenderloin for those who are familiar) when I moved to SF so I understand what it's like to deal with bad neighborhoods every day. That said, NO sounds even more dangerous than usual. I talked to my friend who lives there and I've read countless posts and web sites and what I've found is you're at a high risk of getting shot and living next to drug dealers no matter what.

So, my question. Since I can't get a concensus or look at anything first hand, is Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed an accurate representation of how the crime is really spread out? The crime map seems to break neighborhoods down into small enough chunks that it seems like it could be a reliable source.

Otherwise, any suggestions/tips are appreciated.

EDIT: Also, how fast do rentals tend to turn over? I'm used to NYC and SF renting where you have to contact the landlord and see the place and make a decision all on the same day that the ad goes up (literally) or it'll be gone. How early could I reasonably start finding places that are available for August?

Last edited by Yac; 05-15-2012 at 06:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times
First off about the only chance you have of getting shot is if your involved in drugs or live in bad neighborhood. I have lived in New Orleans my whole life and I have never known anybody who has ever gotten shot or had a chance of getting shot. Most drug dealers are in bad neighborhoods. If you have worked in crack central in San Francisco, then you should have a high tolerance for crime. With that said you should find many New Orleans neighborhoods to be safe. I dont mean to make New Orleans sound like a utopia but the "dangerousness" of New Orleans gets really overplayed. Just use street smarts and common sense.

New Orleans (well at least the older neighborhoods) is very walkable and bikeable. The area around Tulane is for the most part safe.

That map is a kind of a good representation of crime even though there are some "mistakes". As I said the large area around Tulane is safe. If you want to stay around Tulane just stay close/in the boundaries of Carrollton on the west(even though the other side of Carrollton is safe for some blocks and especially near Oak Street for even more blocks), Fountainblue on the north, Jefferson on the East, and the Mississippi River on the South. That is a very big area and there are a couple of questionable spots in those boundaries but for the most part you should be alright. You can go in the immediate sorrounding area of this boundaries too. It also can be very expensive in parts of that area and you might have trouble with your budget. Bywater/Marigny is for the most part safe just stay on the river side of the St. Cluade(even though this are is far-ish from Tulane but has great nightlife but can get expensive). Mid City is also a good suggestion, it is not a bad bike ride to Tulane and it is cheaper than the are around Tulane but it has good nightlife. Just dont get too close to Broad Street/stay west of it or too close to Tulane/stay north of it. Also the area below/river side of St. Charles Avenue should be safe-ish(there are some bad areas like closer to Tchuopitoulas and some other areas) but it can get expensive. I think that is right but I am not an expert on Uptown. The are more suggestion I could say but the best idea is to:

If you have certian addresses for for rental properties, you can just tell us the location(or the general area/intersection) and we can tell you if that is a good area.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll certainly post intersections as I come across specific ads that look promising; that would be a great help!

Old 05-15-2012, 07:42 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
First off about the only chance you have of getting shot is if your involved in drugs or live in bad neighborhood. I have lived in New Orleans my whole life and I have never known anybody who has ever gotten shot or had a chance of getting shot. Most drug dealers are in bad neighborhoods. If you have worked in crack central in San Francisco, then you should have a high tolerance for crime. With that said you should find many New Orleans neighborhoods to be safe. I dont mean to make New Orleans sound like a utopia but the "dangerousness" of New Orleans gets really overplayed. Just use street smarts and common sense.

New Orleans (well at least the older neighborhoods) is very walkable and bikeable. The area around Tulane is for the most part safe.

That map is a kind of a good representation of crime even though there are some "mistakes". As I said the large area around Tulane is safe. If you want to stay around Tulane just stay close/in the boundaries of Carrollton on the west(even though the other side of Carrollton is safe for some blocks and especially near Oak Street for even more blocks), Fountainblue on the north, Jefferson on the East, and the Mississippi River on the South. That is a very big area and there are a couple of questionable spots in those boundaries but for the most part you should be alright. You can go in the immediate sorrounding area of this boundaries too. It also can be very expensive in parts of that area and you might have trouble with your budget. Bywater/Marigny is for the most part safe just stay on the river side of the St. Cluade(even though this are is far-ish from Tulane but has great nightlife but can get expensive). Mid City is also a good suggestion, it is not a bad bike ride to Tulane and it is cheaper than the are around Tulane but it has good nightlife. Just dont get too close to Broad Street/stay west of it or too close to Tulane/stay north of it. Also the area below/river side of St. Charles Avenue should be safe-ish(there are some bad areas like closer to Tchuopitoulas and some other areas) but it can get expensive. I think that is right but I am not an expert on Uptown. The are more suggestion I could say but the best idea is to:

If you have certian addresses for for rental properties, you can just tell us the location(or the general area/intersection) and we can tell you if that is a good area.
All good advice

Old 05-20-2012, 12:42 AM

So I found a place at Delachaise and Laurel and it sounds pretty perfect for me. It even becomes available when I would need it. This seems possibly too close to the river, though (as I've been told it gets bad very close to the river). Is this a decent spot or a case of too good to be true?

EDIT: I also found a good looking deal at Carondolet and Louisiana. I understand it's best to avoid going north of St Charles but it's only one block north. How's this area?

Old 05-20-2012, 06:36 PM

I believe you should be fine at Delachaise and Laurel. It is two blocks from Magazine Street which is a great long shopping and eating area.

At Carondelet and Louisiana you will be on the egde of what is a bad area. If you go one or two blocks north and it quickly goes downhill. I would probably aviod that area since you are on the edge of what is probably the worst neighborhood in the city.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:16 PM

148 posts, read 234,268 times
Jimbo's post above is pretty accurate. I would say, however, that Carondelet at Louisiana isn't too much to worry about. Like he said, two blocks north and you're straddling the border of Central City/Milan, neither of which are the nicest neighborhoods (especially the former), but you're still a good distance away from the worst of the worst (deep into Central City). You've got a pretty unattractive convenience store right there at Carondelet and Louisiana, but I wouldn't worry about too much crime (the houses there are pretty nice and like you said, you're right there at St. Charles).

Old 05-21-2012, 05:57 PM

How are things at Euterpe and St Charles? My friend told me to stay west of Martin Luther and the price of this place is ridiculous ($750 for 2 bedrooms, newly remodeled even) so it makes me think this is close enough to Martin Luther to be a problem.

Thanks for the tips so far, BTW.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:27 PM

I believe that area should be good (but I am not an expert). Once you start to go north of St. Charles it goes a little down hill and there is some blight/empty lots. But that area is being revitalized and the are supposed to be redeveloping Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard right there similar to what was done with Freret Street in between Jefferson Avenue and Napoleon Avenue. South of St. Charles is real nice like around Coliseum square and of course you are near Magazine Street again and the CBD.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:24 AM

605 posts, read 1,054,522 times
I'd love to live in the Euterpe/St Charles area. You're close to Coliseum Square, which is really pretty. And you have a bunch of my favourite restaurants and bars on your doorstep. But you do need to stay south of St Charles.

Hmmm... maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea for me to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans