Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:33 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,421 times

Advertisements

I will be in New Orleans in June and have a few questions...staying at the Monteleone and will not have a car...
Are the renovations to the Carousel Bar completed yet, and what is the general feeling about the changes...?
We have a jazz lover in our group...any recommendations for a good jazz ( or blues) venue within walking distance?
Would love to visit a good art shop nearby that specializes in local artists...any recommendations?
What would be the best attractions or locations to take 20-somethings for a taste of true New Orleans culture...the historical elements and educational things as opposed to the touristy stuff
I don't know the new name of it, but I'd like to go to what used to be The Fairmont; I heard that there was significant damage there but that it was being renovated....what is the new name and is it within walking diatance of the Monteleone?
Last question.... eons ago I went to a really fun Dixieland Band performance at one of the FQ hotels, and I think it may have been at the Monteleone but am not sure. Would love to go to a simislar performance if such a thing is still available...does anywhere have a Dixieland band playing these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 08:40 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,431 times
-The renovations are finished. They made the bar area much larger and now have live music in there a few nights a week.

-Snug Harbor on Frenchmen is the best place to go for contempo and some trad jazz. In fact, most of the good live music will be on Frenchmen. Check the WWOZ livewire to see who will be playing and where: Livewire Music Event Calendar | WWOZ New Orleans 90.7 FM.

-Lots and lots of art galleries on Royal St.

-What was the Fairmont is now the Roosevelt, same place different name. They finished the renovations a few years ago. Its two blocks away at Barrone and Canal.

-Check out Preservation Hall. They host a lot of trad/dixieland type bands

Old 05-10-2012, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the reply. So then, does the Roosevelt's bar have great Sazerac's? That used to be "the" place for them waaay back when, I believe.
Also, where is the best place to do research about events, and things to do in the FQ? There are so many websites and I really am looking for less touristy and more ....what's the best phrase?....interesting/educational/"local"...

Last edited by busydesk; 05-10-2012 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: add question

Old 05-10-2012, 09:37 AM

Well, it is called The Sazerac Bar, but I've never had one there, so I can't really comment. I've never had a bad Sazerac though.

Although the Quarter has a wealth of historical/educational places, if you really want "local", then you need to venture out to the Marigny/Bywater, Mid-City or Uptown. Head to some good restaurants and bars, they are all over the place. Walk Magazine St, Feret St. and Oak St. Check out the architecture along St. Charles or Prytania. Take the St. Charles streetcar uptown to Carrollton. Take the Canal streetcar to the cemetaries or City Park. Here are some good places to start for local info:
www.gambit.com
www.intheknowla.com
www.nola.com

Old 05-11-2012, 01:23 AM

Thanks- these are helpful. One last question....Did the Camellia Grill survive? If so, is it the same as old?

Old 05-11-2012, 06:12 AM

Yes and yes

Old 05-11-2012, 09:41 PM

GREAT. Thanks for your helpful responses

Old 05-17-2012, 02:18 PM

268 posts, read 743,773 times
I found it funny you might be looking for art close by your hotel.
Your hotel is as close to the art galleries of NO as it can legally be.

+2 on WWOZ.....their webpage provides a running calendar, The radio
station is available on the net, (although you are a night too late to hear
my favorite show, Records From The Crypt on Wed night...) The only real
Traditional Jazz to be had now is at Preservation Hall, get there quick, no AC
and it's starting to get almost too hot for me already. Plenty of music to choose
from by just walking down Bourbon St., and if you get al the way to the end and
haven't found it yet, then it is Definitely on Frenchmen St. And forget a Sazerac,
you ought to try the giant mixed drink at Port of Call on Esplanade!! Might make
you forget your NAME. But if it's not quantity you are looking for, you'll also be fine
wherever you go. I'll say it again, take the Pat O'Brien's Glass' advice..."HAVE FUN!"

Old 05-18-2012, 03:33 PM

605 posts, read 1,054,181 times
You could also try Julia St for art galleries.

Camelia Grill is hit and miss. Personally I like the one in the FQ better than the one on Carrollton, but the Carrollton one is more convenient for me.

Oak Street is terrific. I love the Maple Leaf and Jacques'imos on Oak. Also the Cow Bell has some good burgers.

Port O Call - my favourite is a Neptune's Monsoon, they also have them at Snug Harbor on Frenchmen but they're just called Monsoons there. Both places have great burgers and baked potatoes!

Old 05-21-2012, 06:10 AM

Thanks you guys...great help.
Mostly I'm concerned to find fun on a budget for the twenty-somethings...I know the bars and all are fun, but we ARE there for a wedding...it would be nice if they can 'survive' long enough to attend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans