U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 06:59 PM

3 posts, read 2,383 times

Advertisements

Hi all.
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but here goes. I have a bachelors degree and I'm interested in moving to new orleans. I have two dogs and I'm planning on having a roommate. However, I'm having some problems finding a job in the field I want right now (nonprofits). I'm not planning on moving until This fall, but I'd like to be there by september at the latest.

My question is this... How much money do I need to make in order to live on a safe street/safe area (I'd prefer uptown, but a safe part of downtown is fine) and not starve?

also, what areas would you suggest for a recent grad?

I'm trying to decide if I should get a temporary job to move and support myself (perhaps at a hotel or restaurant) or hold off for the right non profit?

Any advice you can give would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:43 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,412,306 times
Honestly, I would try some temp agencies. A friend of mine just relocated here and landed a job at $16.80 an hour through a staffing company, which I understand is pretty decent for entry level. Otherwise, I would try to get a service industry position so that you have money coming in and apply to administrative, reception and "foot in the door" opportunities EVERYWHERE. Don't be too picky. There are a lot of recent grads in this town who specify that they only want to work in one industry. These are the people who complain about how tough the job market is here. Keep your options open. Make sure your resume speaks to general communication, administrative, IT and office skills.

I work in HR in the government and review qualifications all day long. If you are interested in governement employment, wait until the PATHWAYS program goes live. This is a program directed at hiring those within 3 years of graduation. We don't have authority to use it yet, but should soon.

As far as money goes, most of the places I have seen in Uptown will require a rent commitment of at least $500 per month (with a roommate or roommates.) Dogs may entail some additional deposits or raised rent. To be realistic, I think a shared place can be had somewhere around $600-650 (rent) and another $100 utilities per person, particularly if you want things like air conditioning in a space large enough to house multiple people. If you never eat out and have lots of ramen noodles, you can probably get by on $30-$45 for groceries (ramen, bread, eggs, water, etc.) If you have a car, figure in gas, insurance, occasional maintenance. Of course, you will need money for clothes, unexpected expenses, student loans, etc. If you figure that your rent is supposed to be 1/4 to 1/3 of your monthly budget, you can determine how much you will need not to starve.

I am sure that there are people who do it on a lot less-- heck, I did. Its rough straight out of school. You might consider moving out of Uptown and into somewhere more afforadable like Mid City. I looked at some great little shotguns in the $900 range.

Last edited by confusedasusual; 05-23-2012 at 08:53 AM..

Old 05-23-2012, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 2,383 times
That sounds not so bad. Thank you for the reply! Do you happen to know the name of the staffing company your friend used?

Old 05-23-2012, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newgrad1 View Post
That sounds not so bad. Thank you for the reply! Do you happen to know the name of the staffing company your friend used?

NewGrad1: try Brooke Staffing or Strategic Recruitment. I moved here in August 2011 and used both those agencies with good results. Good luck to you!

Old 05-23-2012, 05:33 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,412,306 times
My friend used Adecco. They were pretty reponsive.

Where are you moving from, if you don't mind my asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or