Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:43 AM

9 posts, read 17,771 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a house in the next few months and I've been scouring Trulia, Crime Maps, and the like for weeks trying to get an idea of what I might be able to afford / where I'd like to end up. I don't know what the crime mapping is based on, if they just lump neighborhoods together or if it's an accurate depiction of the block to block crimes that have taken place.

The Marigny triangle is shown as one of the highest crime areas, so I'll assume it's just because of all of the night-life, businesses and overall density of things happening there. What about the area directly above the triangle, south of the 10?

I also found one that I am fast falling in love with just a couple blocks north of the 10.

I'm a young mid 20's woman, I'll be living with my boyfriend (small town boy, whom I am bit worried for). We'd like to mainly bike, walk.

- and safety aside, would this be a fun or interesting place to live? Or do we need to up our budget and find something south of St. Claude?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 10:48 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,326,522 times
Chanduh,

For a more accurate crime map, start here: CrimeMapping.com - National Map

On that map, you really just want to concern yourself with the homicides and armed robberies. Do a 6 month search and see where they happened.

The Marigny and Bywater are "hip" neighborhoods with a bohemian flavor, which sounds like what you're looking for. It's a very walkable area and there is a nice bike lane on St Claude from Elysian Fields all the way down to the lower 9th.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but your first choice should be the Marigny, then the Bywater. Bywater is probably the safest part of downtown, and the Marigny is right in the middle of everything. If it's still too expensive, then maybe start looking on the other side of St. Claude starting near St. Roch Ave and go from there. I wouldn't go on the other side of Claiborne though, if for no other reason than you'll be a little too far out to walk everywhere.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:35 AM

270 posts, read 584,117 times
St Tammany Parish is your best bet.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:57 AM

rburnett-
Thanks that's pretty much what I was thinking - I just needed to make sure. I think we'll probably end up a little north of St. Claude - the crime map was great, in fact, it appears to be a pretty safe area.

WhoDat-
Are you making fun of me? We're in Nashville now, which isn't technically a small town, but it really might as well be. Close to zero street smarts required.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:59 AM

105 posts, read 193,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
St Tammany Parish is your best bet.
I'm pretty sure a pair of young 20 something yr.old couple would not like the atmosphere of the North Shore over-all with its Suburbia feel, Long commute, 0 bike nor walking communities and lacking nightlife and culture.

The Northshore is primarily old folks and Families.

Not really an Ideal place for a young couple.

and yes they want safety but thats one aspect put over everything else and safety can be found in the city limits.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:13 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,083,316 times
Bywater sounds good. Was just on St. Claude at the Uhaul, lively strip on Sunday.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:17 PM

270 posts, read 584,117 times
Well I guess I'm an old fogey according to the masses. The reason I say St Tammany Parish (Mandeville, Abita Springs, etc) is because there is little crime there (unlike New Orleans) there are better schools, Moderator cut: hijackingI do love New Orleans from 7AM to 8PM but after dark, get me out of there. That's just my opinion.

Let us know what you decide.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-31-2012 at 03:52 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 02:20 PM

24 posts, read 119,580 times
Moderator cut: off topic Better schools, less crime - Yes indeed.

The bywater & marigny are fairly safe the quater is a hop scotch and jump away and an easy commute by bike. You just need to watch where you go - one shortcut down a bad street can get you killed ( Happened on Tuesday ) Uptown is also a good area you might want to consider.

Since you are not here to see the area - get on google and do a street view of the neighborhoods and see how you like it and whats around. Good luck & happy hunting.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-31-2012 at 03:53 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 05:08 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,922,580 times
Keep in mind that neighborhoods in New Orleans can go downhill very quickly. You can be in a million dollar house and walk two blocks into a bad neighborhood. If you have specific addresses/blocks in mind, we'd be more than happy to help.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:43 PM

The two that I am considering right now are :Pauger @ N. Villere, and Prieur @ Elysain Fields.

I realize that most people would just go ahead and say "oh, no, bad areas", but because things do really change so much block to block (and the crime map says it's not too bad) I thought I'd ask. Pauger is in what I've been told is now the "New Marigny" which sounds like things there are going uphill if anywhere. But then again, I don't know this stuff - that's why I'm here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans