Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:00 PM

27 posts, read 55,510 times

Advertisements

My husband is going to grad school at UNO in the fall, so I have been reading these boards for a few weeks now. What I do not understand is, in other posts on these boards, people are giving streets where they might rent/buy, and I constantly hear the refrain from posters that live in NOLA that such and such place is safe, but a block north of that is no good, two blocks west is no good, etc. etc.

So, to me it would seem that people in New Orleans don't walk or jog around their neighborhoods for exercise (because how could ONE safe block be enough for that)? Is all the community and activity funneled into the city-center, and when people go home, they just are holed up in their houses/apartments because they are tiny little reprieves surrounded by run-down and crime-ridden streets on nearly all sides? I just do NOT want to end up feeling trapped in my house, I do NOT want to feel like I cannot take a walk or jog that extends further than a quarter of a mile from my residence. So please help me understand what is going on with the environment in New Orleans if you can only count on a block here and there to be safe...

Thank you for helping me understand!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 10:56 PM

605 posts, read 1,054,636 times
Well, we're not all runners.

But if you are, there is generally a good cross street that you can run to/along.

Other than that I can tell you that definitely NO, we dont just go home for the evening - NOLA is a lively, vibrant city with a thriving nightlife, be adventurous and discover it.

Tell us the streets/neighborhoods your looking at. And what you want in your new home. You provided a lot of negatives but not many positives.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:13 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times
That block by block thing only applies to certain areas where you are on the outskirts of a bad neighborhood. There are many large lively neighborhoods where you are sourrounded for blocks and blocks of good areas. For many neighborhoods there are just boundaries and some transition zones where the good neighborhood ends and the bad neighborhood begins. An example that you might have read was someone was looking at an apartment at Carondelet and Louisiana which is on the border of a good neighborhood and a bad neighborhood. When you go north it goes downhill but when you go south, east, and west it stays good for blocks and blocks. Also, maybe this is not wise advice, but some neighborhoods that possibly are dangerous will be fine for "outsider" people during the day especially if you stay on the main roads.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 06-01-2012 at 11:26 PM..

Old 06-02-2012, 02:04 PM

Thank you, Jimbo_1, that is helpful to know. I see I wouldn't want to live in an outskirt near a boundary or transition area.

Tina, I may post here when we start looking at places. Right now that is 2 months off, so we had nothing too specific in mind. It just seemed to me that every thread that DID have specific places in mind, the responses made everything *sound* like they were so near bad neighborhoods. I was probably reading too much negative into it. But, in a recent post, someone said their neighborhood was fine and pretty safe, but a "boy got shot" a block away from them and their friend heard it. I would never, ever want to deal with living near an environment like that (unless it was a totally freak and unusual occurrence). I grew up in the poorer parts of Anchorage Alaska and have dealt with enough of that in my life already.

But I would love to know what neighborhoods you here on the forums are keen on... I know Uptown has been mentioned as a fun and safe place, and Lakewood sounded intriguing to me. Is it possible to rent a place around there in good condition that isn't on the outskirts and is $800 or less per month? I would like a place that isn't all parties and bar noise at night when I am trying to sleep though! I'm not exactly a typical 20-something in that respect. I love going to concerts and shows, but I couldn't care less about bars and drinking. Thanks again for offering your help to an apprehensive stranger

Old 06-02-2012, 08:32 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,946,612 times
I think you should look for rentals near City Park ave. I rented half a shotgun there (2br) for 750 a month a few years ago in a safe neighborhood, and the house was in great shape.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I think you should look for rentals near City Park ave. I rented half a shotgun there (2br) for 750 a month a few years ago in a safe neighborhood, and the house was in great shape.
Interesting, I will look into that area. I lived in half of a shotgun in Montreal for a year, and the walls were *terrible*. I could hear my neighbor on the other side sneeze! Would I have to look out for paper thin walls in shotguns around there, too, or are the walls much more soundproof generally?

Old 06-03-2012, 04:26 PM

148 posts, read 234,268 times
Most double shotguns I've been in having pretty thin walls -- I can sometimes hear my neighbors talking at normal conversational volume. It's never much of an issue for me, though.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:40 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,946,612 times
Dunno. The one I lived in, I never heard anything.

I live in a not-so-safe area of Mid-City and only use my car 2-3 times a week (I work from home).

Old 06-03-2012, 08:53 PM

358 posts, read 710,938 times
I think when people talk about one block in New Orleans being safer than some other block they are using the work "safe" to encapsulate many different indicators of a secure crime-free, harassment-free existance (or lack thereof). I can think of many blocks or hoods in New Orleans that--because of section 8 or blighted homes or whatever--I would not describe as 'safe' for a prospective resident. However, I would not hesitate to walk or jog through these areas. It's not the zombie apocolypse where thugs are going to run you down and eat your face (that only happens here in Miami!).

Old 06-04-2012, 02:38 AM

lol mouzon. Thanks, though, I can see now that could easily be the case with a lot of what I was reading. Right now I live in Oregon, and routinely take walks past blocks I wouldn't necessarily live on but give no second thoughts to walking through during the day or evening.

As for the shotguns and their walls.... I would be bothered by hearing my neighbor's private conversations--and would constantly be worrying my TV is on too loud or my cat is meowing too much for them! Sounds like I would have to investigate any given one out in person to be sure, but at least I know not to completely check them off my list just yet. I also think I'll browse the archives for more info on the areas around City Park, and may end up posting a new thread with some questions about the area here in a couple weeks if I don't see the answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: