Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 06:49 PM

310 posts, read 854,757 times

Advertisements

Aww, those blue eyes! I wanna take them all! Wish I could. Surely with their good looks, you'll have no problem nabbing homes for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 11:29 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,561 times
Unfortunately for you and your kittens we're in the middle of kitten season so it can be very hard to find homes for them. But to increase your chances it's a really good idea to get at least their first round of shots, deworm them (twice), get the examined, and, if possible, get them spayed or neutered (in your area kittens usually have to be three months and three pounds before they can be fixed but there may be some vets who do it at 2 months). If mom cat was a stray they will most likely need to be treated for fleas too. These things will give them an edge over all the other kittens that people needs to find homes for and it will also help you find good, quality homes for them. If they've had some basic care done you can charge an adoption fee for them to recoup some of the money you've spent. At the very least I'd get mom cat fixed so that you don't find yourself with another litter a few months from now. It's only $45.

Please keep in mind that not everyone who comes along wanting a kitten will provide a good, permanent home. Almost all cats in shelters have had a home at one point and clearly that didn't work out too well. So make sure you screen the people thoroughly before you hand over a kitten. Ask questions and visit their home. A lot of people get a little cute kitten not realizing that pets cost a lot of money and that a cat could very well be a 15-20 year responsibility. As a result they end up dumping the cat at a shelter or on the street once they are adults and not fun anymore.

Good luck!

Old 06-16-2012, 11:01 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
Too cute for words!

Maybe the mom can be spayed by the Humane Society or a rescue so this doesn't happen again. There are SO many unwanted cats in shelters etc.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:07 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Too cute for words!

Maybe the mom can be spayed by the Humane Society or a rescue so this doesn't happen again. There are SO many unwanted cats in shelters etc.

I was gonna get her spayed once I gained her confidence,
but I was too late. She will get spayed when she's done nursing.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
That's good news, will you keep her?

Old 06-17-2012, 08:13 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
That's good news, will you keep her?
Yeah, we've kinda bonded over this kitten business.
I just hope I'm not keeping any kittens.
Any I can't get rid of will get fixed and shots
and they're welcome to hang around, but I
already have two indoor cats.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:43 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,561 times
Quote:
Just FYI mom cats can continue to nurse even after they've been spayed. Considering that if the kittens stay around they can nurse for a good five months so you probably don't want to wait that long to spay her. A couple of kittens I had a few years ago nursed until they were six months!

Old 06-18-2012, 02:52 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,297 times
Too cute! I am tempted but don't need a kitty cat. Does anyone know about Alley Cat Allies? They do free spaying/neutering and will re-release the feral cats. I used to use them a lot when I lived in DC. I have had very mixed experienced with adopting/socializing feral cats and kittens. Every year I would find a litter in the spring and try to get the babies fixed, defleaed, shots, adopted, etc., but mama cat was usually a much tougher nut, socialization wise. Alley Cat Allies was always a godsend.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah, we've kinda bonded over this kitten business.
I just hope I'm not keeping any kittens.
Any I can't get rid of will get fixed and shots
and they're welcome to hang around, but I
already have two indoor cats.
Be careful . My friend found a cat (similar story) over 10 years ago and she promptly had 4 kittens. She tried to find homes for the kittens but could only part with one so she was left with momma and 3 boys. Of ocurse she loves them dearly but now that they're all elderly at the same time it's rather costly.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 943 times
Hi... I am looking for a white kitten. If you still have one please email me at mod snip. Our daughter is turning five next week and has been promised a kitten (for about 2 years now!) A white one would be great since its name will be snowcap! she has it all planned out already. We are a very loving family of 4 who lives in the suburbs of NOLA.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 06-29-2012 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: No email addresses please - use Direct Message feature
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: