Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,422,800 times

Advertisements

I'm tired of the city of just being based on tourism. Why can't the city be focused on real business than tourism?

The city should also worry about it's own citizens than just the people visiting here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:34 AM

48 posts, read 80,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
I'm tired of the city of just being based on tourism. Why can't the city be focused on real business than tourism?

The city should also worry about it's own citizens than just the people visiting here.
I have no expertise at all on New Orleans, but I will say, being born and raised in a tourist trap, that worrying about the people visiting your city IS worrying about the citizens of the city. My hometown becomes an absolute ghost town during the off-season (the population literally drops to half or less what it is in the summer). If it stayed like that year round because people no longer wanted to focus on tourism, it would be an extremely poor place.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:57 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,294 times
Growing up there my opinion is the greedy industry people and also the fact that a lot of the politicians both local and state like to line their pockets with ill gotten deposits from businesses. Thats why a lot of businesses dont like to have a presence in the N.O. Just look at Edwin Edwards and that DiBartilo heist....

Old 06-14-2012, 03:26 PM

814 posts, read 1,476,009 times
I am sure most New Orleanians would think of the city as more than just tourism based. We have the largest port in the country (Port of South Louisiana) and there is still a good amount of energy industries. There is the growth of the film industry and there have been a lot of companies opening offices down here and other entrepreneurs staring businesses. Just look at the skyline, it ain't all hotels (only 7 of the tallest 25 buildings are hotels).

Plus there is the large hospital complex being built. Neighborhoods are being revitalized like the Freret Street area and the plans for Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard. The Projects are being torn down/ most are already torn down. New apartment complexes have been built all over the city. Stores are being built like Costco at Carrollton and I-10, a new shopping center on Carrollton and Bienville, and that Fresh Market where the Borders was at St. Charles and Louisiana. There are bike paths being put it, the Lafitte Greenway, improvements to City Park and other parks. Plans for streetcar expansions. The public school system has improved, especially with the Charter schools. And so on. So I think people are worried about the citizens of the city but maybe I am a little too positive.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:57 PM

640 posts, read 1,226,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I am sure most New Orleanians would think of the city as more than just tourism based. We have the largest port in the country (Port of South Louisiana) and there is still a good amount of energy industries. There is the growth of the film industry and there have been a lot of companies opening offices down here and other entrepreneurs staring businesses. Just look at the skyline, it ain't all hotels (only 7 of the tallest 25 buildings are hotels).

Plus there is the large hospital complex being built. Neighborhoods are being revitalized like the Freret Street area and the plans for Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard. The Projects are being torn down/ most are already torn down. New apartment complexes have been built all over the city. Stores are being built like Costco at Carrollton and I-10, a new shopping center on Carrollton and Bienville, and that Fresh Market where the Borders was at St. Charles and Louisiana. There are bike paths being put it, the Lafitte Greenway, improvements to City Park and other parks. Plans for streetcar expansions. The public school system has improved, especially with the Charter schools. And so on. So I think people are worried about the citizens of the city but maybe I am a little too positive.

Agreed. There have been so many articles in national papers and websites praising New Orleans for becoming such a great place for business.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:51 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Just drive past the SMD site and it will shut that all up. That site really makes me giddy for New Orleans.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:04 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Nothing wrong with a tourist based economy as there are many cities that receive little to no tourism. I see it as a positive for the city of New Orleans.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
just drive past the smd site and it will shut that all up. That site really makes me giddy for new orleans.
smd?

Old 06-18-2012, 07:34 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
smd?
South Market District

Old 06-19-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
South Market District
oh yeah...nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans