U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:11 AM

178 posts, read 482,213 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be in the N.O. August 9th - 13th. I have a couple of questions. I trying to locate a hotel now and am thinking of using Priceline to stay in the French Quarter.

1. Do I need a rental to get around in the N.O.
2. Are there any events going on that weekend? or how can i find out weekend events?
3. My girlfriend and I are foodies - any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 11:22 AM

640 posts, read 1,069,293 times
You absolutely do not need a rental car to get around NOLA. The city is easily traveled around by foot, streetcar, bus, taxi, or even pedi-cabs these days. Especially as a tourist you won't need a car as most of the stuff you'll want to see is in the French Quarter/CBD/Marigny or just a streetcar ride to the Garden District/Riverbend or City Park/Museum.

Basically, if you rented a car you would be paying top dollar to have it sit in a parking garage for a week.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:54 AM

thanks for the reply rcp11889. I wasn't sure if there were other places of interest, rather it me sights or food elsewhere away from the "main tourist" spots.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,636,929 times
If you want to go upriver to see some of the spectacular plantation houses and drive over the swamp, like say a day tour, you can just rent a car for the day.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If you want to go upriver to see some of the spectacular plantation houses and drive over the swamp, like say a day tour, you can just rent a car for the day.

Thanks, i'm thinking of doing a one day rental just to see other parts of the city.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:16 AM

270 posts, read 519,782 times
Frommer's has a good book on places to visit.

The absolute best part about New Orleans is the food. The food expert in the city is a man named Tom Fitzmorris. He has a website at www.nomenu.com that provides restaurant reviews of over 1,200 restaurants. You can focus your search specifically on the Quarter as well. He has a talkshow on 1350AM from 3-6 everyday. Check it out and give him a call. What other city on earth has a talk show dedicated specifically to food and restaurants. Welcome to New Orleans!

Old 06-20-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
Frommer's has a good book on places to visit.

The absolute best part about New Orleans is the food. The food expert in the city is a man named Tom Fitzmorris. He has a website at www.nomenu.com that provides restaurant reviews of over 1,200 restaurants. You can focus your search specifically on the Quarter as well. He has a talkshow on 1350AM from 3-6 everyday. Check it out and give him a call. What other city on earth has a talk show dedicated specifically to food and restaurants. Welcome to New Orleans!
thank you for this information.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:41 AM

I have question

I know that I put I was looking to get a hotel in the French Quarter, however when i look at the hotel map...the French Quarter,Downtown seem very close. Would walking and getting around be an issue? The Warehouse/Art district is not to much further away but I don't know how easy it would be to get to "everything" from there.

also any hotel recommendations?

Old 06-20-2012, 10:24 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,002,161 times
The Magazine Bus and St. Charles Streetcar can get you from the FQ all the way to Audubon Park and beyond. They are both run frequently and go through some nice areas. A 3 day pass it like $5. Try to stick to the bus, it's a lot faster than the streetcar and you'll avoid the tourist hordes as there is a lot of stuff along the length of Magazine St. The Canal Streetcar can get you from the FQ to Mid-City and also runs frequently and has a smaller tourist crowd than St. Charles. 90% of the restaurants and places you want to go will be close to these routes.

The Marigny and Bywater are a little further out as you have to traverse the whole length of the FQ by foot. There is the #5 bus that runs out to the end of Bywater, but it's not very frequent and you'll have to check the schedule. If you're more interested in this part of town, then I would recommend you find a B&B in the Marigny, or rent a bike to get over there.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
The Magazine Bus and St. Charles Streetcar can get you from the FQ all the way to Audubon Park and beyond. They are both run frequently and go through some nice areas. A 3 day pass it like $5. Try to stick to the bus, it's a lot faster than the streetcar and you'll avoid the tourist hordes as there is a lot of stuff along the length of Magazine St. The Canal Streetcar can get you from the FQ to Mid-City and also runs frequently and has a smaller tourist crowd than St. Charles. 90% of the restaurants and places you want to go will be close to these routes.

The Marigny and Bywater are a little further out as you have to traverse the whole length of the FQ by foot. There is the #5 bus that runs out to the end of Bywater, but it's not very frequent and you'll have to check the schedule. If you're more interested in this part of town, then I would recommend you find a B&B in the Marigny, or rent a bike to get over there.
Great information...thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans