U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 11:19 AM

44 posts, read 136,732 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Visiting new orleans the 4th of july week. I am thinking about getting a rental car and exploring cities outside New orleans. Any ideas of cool attractions or towns outside N.O? Any cities or attractions to get the full Louisiana experience?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Last edited by aet08; 06-28-2012 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 11:57 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,000,607 times
Chicago is right down the road...

But seriously, I would say do a swamp tour and maybe go check out some of the plantations between NOLA and Baton Rouge. Most places will offer bus transportation to get you out there.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:31 PM

268 posts, read 666,411 times
I actually created a Guugle map trip that leaves NO and hits all the good
Plantation hotspots, lemme see if I can track that down. NO is not unique
in this, but there is not a LOT to DO in the suburbs per se. Not for weekend
visitors really. If you lived there there is plenty to do all the time, but not
when time is precious.

Let's see if this works.....this is a really good morning or evening trip

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...0a7360860f8e6d

Last edited by BradfromNO; 06-28-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 12:37 PM

44 posts, read 136,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
Chicago is right down the road...

But seriously, I would say do a swamp tour and maybe go check out some of the plantations between NOLA and Baton Rouge. Most places will offer bus transportation to get you out there.

where the best plantations and swamp tours are outside of New Orleans?

are there some cool road trips with scenery and a cool small town to drive through?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:45 PM

You should visit the link to the map I made for the Plantations Tour. Keep in mind that
the tour starts in downtown NO, I think from where a friend of mine was staying, and CAN
go back across the river and home the way you came, OR you can follow it to the last spot
on the tour which takes you to Avondale and "Mosca's Restaurant". Best meal you will have
while there....BUT take cash, cause that's ALL Mosca's takes, lol.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:07 PM

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...0a7360860f8e6d

This tour begins on Canal St at the border of the French Quarter.
It follows the east bank 1-10 route until it diverts towards the river at Destrehan
which coincidentally is the home of the "Destrehan Plantation"
Destrehan Plantation | Since 1787
This is where the bulk of the plantation scenes in the first 1/3 or Interview with the Vampire
were filmed, right after Brad Pitt is turned and before they burn it to the ground. This building
is beautiful and has a tour, but can be easily photographed from the levee.

Once done there, cross the Mississippi river to the West bank at Luling.

Once you are on the West bank, travel west and eventually you will pass HOMEPLACE Plantation
in Hahnville....my hometown....long ago....which is the second marker after Destrehan Plantation
across the river. This oneis basically being allowed to rot as it is never clear who actually owns it
or if it will ever be fixed up. http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/louisiana/hom.htm

From there travel upriver to the third site I have marked, the Hymelia Crevasse.
This is near Killona, LA. This is where the levee broke in 1912....it was bad.
http://museum.historyofstcharlespari...fishq-crevasse

The next marker is the E.J. Caire Store in Edgard, one of the only real good stores between
New Orleans and Baton Rouge in the really old days from plantation times through the 60s and 70s. Preservation Resource Center of New Orleans

The next stop is the Whitney Plantation. Whitney Plantation Historic District
This is not one of the biggies, but there is a lot to see on this map that no one ever sees.
Hell, without all the stops, you will still see a LOT On this ride. This is a cool part of the country.
There MAY be a tour, but you may just want to walk along the levee and see this one the old
fashioned way. The biggies are down the road a bit yet...

Once you reach the next stop you are in Vacherie. There are two plantations here. The first
marrker is at Laura Plantation Laura Plantation
There IS a tour at this one, but the biggest stop is yet to come, and it offers a tour as well.

There is a plantation before the last one on this tour, it is called St. Joseph... St. Joseph Plantation | A Louisiana Sugar Cane Family

Finally you get to the big daddy of them all, OAK ALLEY Oak Alley Plantation
This is where the opening scene in Interview with the Vampire was filmed. Once Brad Pitt is turned
the "same site" is actually Destrehan Plantation and remains there til they burn it down and move to
the French Quarter. This is a good tour and a gorgeous site.

The second to last river road marker at OAK ALLEY is at the traditional traffic nightmare, PULL OVER and
GAWK spot, and the last marker is the actual driveway for entering the complex. Once you are done,
you can simply go back the way you came along river road, or you can follow the guugley map onto
Hwy 3127 which straightens the road out considerably and allows you to go faster. Make sure to cross
the river at I-310 if you are not continuing through the swamp to Mosca's http://moscasrestaurant.com/
If you DO go to Moscas, be careful not to MISS it. It is a DUMPY white building on your right, JUST past
where the swamp ends and 'civilization' begins. (and again, BRING CASH!)

Last edited by BradfromNO; 06-28-2012 at 01:17 PM..

Old 07-02-2012, 12:25 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,406,138 times
How much of a drive are you interested in taking? Breaux Bridge is a great little town outside of Lafayette which is about 2.5 hours away. Lake Martin has a bird sanctuary and some gorgeous, secluded swamps. This is in the heart of Cajun country-- great music and food. And you can hit River Road on the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or