Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:37 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times

Advertisements

Anybody know where to unload a few kitties?
A neighborhood cat adopted me and graced me
with five babies the day after Mother's Day.
I called Lakeside and Causeway Pets, but they
don't want em. They're four weeks now and
really adorable. (hint, hint)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 02:46 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Pictures? Sucker for kittens

Old 06-12-2012, 06:16 AM

310 posts, read 854,823 times
St Charles Parish Animal Shelter? That's where I took my adult cats for re-homing and they were adopted within a month.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:09 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Call ARNO, Animal Rescue of New Orleans and ask them. Do NOT offer them "free" in craigslist or whatever. Charge $5 or $10 to weed out those who collect and sell to research labs. Even a nominal fee makes it unprofitable.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the tips.
I'll post a couple of pictures when I take a decent one.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:10 PM

605 posts, read 1,054,636 times
Awww! I wish I could take some or all of them off your hands! But our old gal and boy kitties would not be happy!

Have you tried posting in the CD Cats forum?

Old 06-13-2012, 10:40 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,885 times
You can't take them anywhere yet unless mom cat goes along too. They are way too young. Kittens have to stay with their mom until they are at least 8 weeks, preferably longer. Even though they may be able to eat solid food at this age they still need their mom for a lot of things. She still need to teach them cat etiquette, how to properly use the litterbox, etc., and the kittens need their mom for emotional comfort and for the nutrition and boost to their immune system they get from nursing. Kittens taken from mom before 8 weeks old often end up having behavioral problems. I have a foster cat right now who was separated from her mom at four weeks. She's three years old now and have a number of issues which caused her to be returned by the people that adopted her as a kitten.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:56 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
You can't take them anywhere yet unless mom cat goes along too. They are way too young. Kittens have to stay with their mom until they are at least 8 weeks, preferably longer. Even though they may be able to eat solid food at this age they still need their mom for a lot of things. She still need to teach them cat etiquette, how to properly use the litterbox, etc., and the kittens need their mom for emotional comfort and for the nutrition and boost to their immune system they get from nursing. Kittens taken from mom before 8 weeks old often end up having behavioral problems. I have a foster cat right now who was separated from her mom at four weeks. She's three years old now and have a number of issues which caused her to be returned by the people that adopted her as a kitten.
Absolutely correct! You've made it this far so just keep fostering them until they're between 8-12 weeks of age. Then send them off to new homes. Meanwhile, call the local shelter (tell them you're fostering kittens), local vets, pet supply stores, etc. and ask to post pictures and descriptions along with your contact information for anyone wanting a kitten. If the mother is an excellent hunter, mention that fact as that instinct is often passed down and, assuming they don't leave her too young, she'll start teaching the kittens hunting techniques (even if it's only hunting toys right now).

Old 06-14-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinalimey View Post
Awww! I wish I could take some or all of them off your hands! But our old gal and boy kitties would not be happy!

Have you tried posting in the CD Cats forum?
I've been talking about them on the Cats forum,
but that's people world-wide. If I get any
action here, I'll deliver between NO and BR.

Here's a couple of pictures I took today.
They're four and a half weeks now.
One of em is actively eating canned cat food.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
You can't take them anywhere yet unless mom cat goes along too. They are way too young. Kittens have to stay with their mom until they are at least 8 weeks, preferably longer.
Yeah, I'm not lettin' em go at this age, just ginning up interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: