Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 07:48 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,697 times

Advertisements

I moved to NOLA in June- I live in a very nice apt. River Garden, but it is not what I really want. They assured me there were alot of young college students, etc. While I feel very safe here, I have not met any young people here (or even seen any young college students). ANy ideas how I can break my lease. I don't care if I lose my deposit, I would rather give them a month or 2 notice and leave. Any suggestions? Right now I am suppose to stay until June of 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 08:44 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Doesn't work like that unless you have a legitimate reason or breach of contract. If the management is half-assed then they might let you slide.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
I moved to NOLA in June- I live in a very nice apt. River Garden, but it is not what I really want. They assured me there were alot of young college students, etc. While I feel very safe here, I have not met any young people here (or even seen any young college students). ANy ideas how I can break my lease. I don't care if I lose my deposit, I would rather give them a month or 2 notice and leave. Any suggestions? Right now I am suppose to stay until June of 2013.
A lot of the time landlords will let you out if you pay them an extra month or something. The bottom line is that a lease agreement is a contract, and if both parties agree it can be amended.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:29 PM

48 posts, read 80,222 times
I'm not sure how the law works for that in New Orleans but I've signed multiple leases that list a fee for breaking the lease early or just say that you owe the full amount of the rent for the entire lease even if you leave after 2 months. In other words, you'd have to pay a year of rent regardless of how long you stay. I've also signed leases where no mention was made one way or the other, in which case I think it just defaults to local laws.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 AM

22 posts, read 40,774 times
Where is River Garden? We are moving to New Orleans Oct. 15 and still looking for an apt. maybe we can take over the lease? If it is near F.Q. ,Garden District, area is what we are looking for

Old 08-22-2012, 11:34 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenjerry View Post
Where is River Garden? We are moving to New Orleans Oct. 15 and still looking for an apt. maybe we can take over the lease? If it is near F.Q. ,Garden District, area is what we are looking for
River Garden is near the Mississippi River and Jackson Avenue. It is close to the Garden District and CBD.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 08-22-2012 at 11:48 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 11:04 AM

268 posts, read 743,985 times
What might also be happening here is that you realized this was ACTUALLY a neighborhood revitalization
deal with what they call mixed-income housing. It's what they had to build when they demolished the
projects. You can be Joe Straight from Winnapisockett, Maine living next to a former and possibly current
crack dealer. Not only is that neighborhood tough in general, (Irish Channel) but that general PART of the
neighborhood can be particularly rough. Its completely livable, but you have to be street-wise to do so effectively.
Lot's of people dragging pit bulls around and kids with nothing to do making life miserable in the daytime
and their parents with nothing to do but make it tough to sleep at night. All that used to be the St. Thomas
Housing Project, which was luckily not one of the "bad ones". But when they destroyed the project, what
you see now is what the Govt. told them they had to build. Nice, but oh what lurks behind the walls and
what joy is a Friday Night on the streets at River garden. If they had named it "Former Project Apartments"
you likely would have steered clear. Here is a quote from the web page:

River Garden, located in the historic Lower Garden District of New Orleans, is a vibrant community created
through the HUD HOPE VI Redevelopment of the former St. Thomas Housing Development.

Vibrant in this context usually means thumping rap music all night and people in dreads or corn-rows,wearing Koby
jerseys with cell phones permanently up to their ears, complete with hollering at all hours of the day and night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans