U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 10:47 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,351,632 times

Advertisements

My roommate and I are looking to move to New Orleans in a year or so. I'm looking for a little advice on how to plan this.

First of all, we are moving to New Orleans. We do not want to move to Slidell, Chalmette, Kenner, Metairie or any other surrounding suburb because we want to be able to walk anywhere we need to go (Plus we absolutely love the culture of New Orleans and we want to be part of it). I suppose Algiers or Gretna would be acceptable because we could just catch the ferry across the river, but we are pretty focused on only needing to use a car to come back to Shreveport if we need to. Please do not suggest anywhere that we cannot get to by walking or streetcar

To be quite blunt, he is gay and I am a MtF transsexual. I think it's very important we find a place that is friendly to the LGBT. I know New Orleans is very laid back and carefree about those things, so I'm hoping it wont be difficult to find a place to live. We would like something in the $600-$900 range, with free parking (At least for a year, until I can get my car paid off and maybe even convince my mom to move down here too!).

I've heard awful things about Treme, and of course central city. Any other areas I need to avoid?

Also, I am getting licensed in cosmetology, are those jobs available in town? He wants to get into business, and his question was "Do they have any businesses based there besides hotels?" I've heard waitressing can be lucrative in the city (relatively speaking). I also know the town has an anti discrimination ordinance vs gays and transgendered people, but I have to ask, would it be difficult to find a job? I'm very passable btw... 5'3" 130lbs and I don't draw much attention etc etc.

Our plans so far are basically sell my trailer for about 7 grand and move all our stuff down there after finding a place to rent. We have a cat and 2 dogs so we need a place that doesn't mind pets. How long do you think we could live on 7 grand there?

Any culture shock I need to prepare for coming from Shreveport?

Is there anything else I need to plan for? Keep in mind I've never moved out of the Shreveport area before and I'm not sure what I should be expecting and preparing for to move out of town like this!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 03:33 PM

19,859 posts, read 61,468,149 times
I think your budget is low for N.O. proper especially considering you have pets. The best places would be the Marigny and Bywater areas, lots of LGBT folks there. But the cost might be too high. Someone else might have a better idea. There are lots of businesses not tourist related but if you don't have a college degree, you are limiting yourself. Sorry but honesty helps as it hurts. Lots of salons around.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:46 PM

My roommate is getting a degree in business, so maybe that will help. How much should I expect rent to be around Bywater or Marigny?

Old 08-30-2012, 12:28 PM

22 posts, read 37,773 times
Hi, we are planning a move in October from Massachusetts looking at the same areas. I have seen from 900 dollar studios up to over 2000, we are trying to keep our budget to 1200 max.It is a difficult search...but I did find a hotel/motel just outside the city one room bare minimum amenities for 225 a week..we plan on staying there and apartment hunting in person. Also finding pets and parking can be a challenge,we have a parrot. Oh that hotel is called Orleans Courtyard Inn they have a facebook page.I have been planning since March. We want to have 3 mos. rent and deposit , for job hunting.Also we are a gay couple together 23 years and Bywater looks friendly and close to the quarter for work ,both in restaurant biz.But now with this stormm???????

Old 08-30-2012, 01:14 PM

4,308 posts, read 12,619,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
My roommate and I are looking to move to New Orleans in a year or so. I'm looking for a little advice on how to plan this.

First of all, we are moving to New Orleans. We do not want to move to Slidell, Chalmette, Kenner, Metairie or any other surrounding suburb because we want to be able to walk anywhere we need to go (Plus we absolutely love the culture of New Orleans and we want to be part of it). I suppose Algiers or Gretna would be acceptable because we could just catch the ferry across the river, but we are pretty focused on only needing to use a car to come back to Shreveport if we need to. Please do not suggest anywhere that we cannot get to by walking or streetcar

To be quite blunt, he is gay and I am a MtF transsexual. I think it's very important we find a place that is friendly to the LGBT. I know New Orleans is very laid back and carefree about those things, so I'm hoping it wont be difficult to find a place to live. We would like something in the $600-$900 range, with free parking (At least for a year, until I can get my car paid off and maybe even convince my mom to move down here too!).

I've heard awful things about Treme, and of course central city. Any other areas I need to avoid?

Also, I am getting licensed in cosmetology, are those jobs available in town? He wants to get into business, and his question was "Do they have any businesses based there besides hotels?" I've heard waitressing can be lucrative in the city (relatively speaking). I also know the town has an anti discrimination ordinance vs gays and transgendered people, but I have to ask, would it be difficult to find a job? I'm very passable btw... 5'3" 130lbs and I don't draw much attention etc etc.

Our plans so far are basically sell my trailer for about 7 grand and move all our stuff down there after finding a place to rent. We have a cat and 2 dogs so we need a place that doesn't mind pets. How long do you think we could live on 7 grand there?

Any culture shock I need to prepare for coming from Shreveport?

Is there anything else I need to plan for? Keep in mind I've never moved out of the Shreveport area before and I'm not sure what I should be expecting and preparing for to move out of town like this!

Pack wellies! And other good raingear.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:41 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,108,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
First of all, we are moving to New Orleans. We do not want to move to Slidell, Chalmette, Kenner, Metairie or any other surrounding suburb because we want to be able to walk anywhere we need to go (Plus we absolutely love the culture of New Orleans and we want to be part of it).
Love this ^^. If only more posts started out this way

If you don't want to drive, you should plan on getting a bicycle once you get here. It will make your life a lot easier. Streetcars are frequent, but slow and only some of the bus lines have good frequency and run late at night.

Check out Marigny firste, then Bywater, then the Lower Garden Dist. If you still can't find anything in your price range look further Uptown, or in Mid-City. You should definitely be able to find something in the $800-900 range.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
Love this ^^. If only more posts started out this way

If you don't want to drive, you should plan on getting a bicycle once you get here. It will make your life a lot easier. Streetcars are frequent, but slow and only some of the bus lines have good frequency and run late at night.

Check out Marigny firste, then Bywater, then the Lower Garden Dist. If you still can't find anything in your price range look further Uptown, or in Mid-City. You should definitely be able to find something in the $800-900 range.
Thank you so much!! I'll check those areas out

And buy a bike and rain gear!! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans