U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2012, 07:50 PM
 
19 posts, read 51,362 times
Reputation: 44

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
Not necessarily as SAG-FRANCHISED Agents usually only sign actors who have joined SAG/AFTRA. The franchised agents will submit their headshots for SAG/AFTRA signatory productions which means better pay, benefits, etc. and even actors with few credits can get day-player / featured player parts. These parts are bit-parts usually with 5 lines (of dialogue) and under. More than 5 lines, you get bumped up the ladder pay-wise. Keep in mind that while experience is important, most casting is based on a look or by type. This is how my buds got started. They got cast in a bit part, did the Taft-Hartley waiver which allowed them to work on a SAG film and eligible to join the union. After they joined, it opened up the doors for SAG/AFTRA agency representation and they've been working on SAG/AFTRA projects ever sense.

Experience is good and not knocking it, but we all know that unless you have the "look" that casting and directors are looking for, all the experience in the world won't help.

Well, I agree, but for each "look" they are casting for, there are a thousand actors auditioning for those roles so one has to be somewhat competent in his/her craft. Furthermore, I never said anything was set in stone. I know all about the unions. I'm confused as to why you even brought up SAG-Franchised agents as there are none in Louisiana. There are many benefits to joining the union, but in Louisiana, MANY not ALL actors choose to wait a while before joining the union. We are just talking about Louisiana, right? Dude, we're saying the same thing..you just feel some type of desperate need to be argumentative.

Last edited by jkik15; 10-20-2012 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 PM
 
974 posts, read 1,912,050 times
Reputation: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkik15 View Post
I'm confused as to why you even brought up SAG-Franchised agents as there are none in Louisiana. There are many benefits to joining the union, but in Louisiana, MANY not ALL actors choose to wait a while before joining the union. We are just talking about Louisiana, right? Dude, we're saying the same thing..you just feel some type of desperate need to be argumentative.
No... just being thorough in the analysis. Look the original poster was asking about leaving L.A. where she and her BF seem to have a toe-hold on acting gigs with their auditions, commercials, etc. If they are legit actors who are pursuing careers as opposed to "getting experience"....then I would think NOLA would be a commute market and not a place to relocate permanently. And if they are SAG/AFTRA card-carriers, they might be in a disadvantage coming to La. I would think they'd want the full-benefit of their membership with a franchised agent, but that's a guess.

That's primarily why I brought up franchised agents. BTW, I'd be careful signing with a non-franchised agent as they may NOT subscribe to "best-practices" as far as agent/client relationships are concerned based on what my acting buds tell me. But I suppose you have to start somewhere and take that leap of faith and learn about the knocks of showbiz life. FWIW, my buds told me they couldn't even get a meet with a franchised agent until after they joined the guild. So it's a catch-22 worth noting.

I'm a business guy and finance is my trade, you can call me argumentative, fine, I couldn't care less.
I do get paid to analyze stuff and my buds like me for my direct comments and advice. I hear their comments about the biz they're in so I can offer analysis. They have quit sipping the local Kool-aid and so far they seem to have done alright.

I hope you do well and find your place wherever that is, be in NOLA or Universal City or Summer-stock; break-a-leg. Find your muse, be happy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 07:30 AM
 
236 posts, read 278,698 times
Reputation: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannahactress View Post
Hello everyone! I could really use your help. I am an actress living in Los Angeles and my actor boyfriend and I are planning on moving to New Orleans within a couple of months. We have both been in a couple indie movies and I recently just booked a national commercial. We both have years of training and constantly work on projects (short films, web series, etc.). We just haven't had that "big" break yet. One of my friends is a locations scout for major motion pictures and he said the New Orleans film industry is booming and that I should really look into moving there. I've heard this from other people, as well. I constantly see open calls (for lines in movies) in New Orleans.

Does anyone know if the acting industry in New Orleans is booming too? Also, any advice on where we should move (the safer parts of Louisiana) would be great. Besides acting, Louisiana just seems like a great culture to be a part of. Los Angeles is so cut throat, fake, dirty (pollution), full of scams and overly expensive -- we feel like our souls are dying here. Anyways, sorry for rambling but any advice would be great. Thanks everyone!

Hey Savannah-I'm a working actor myself, member of SAG/AFTRA and Equity. I go back and forth between L.A./NY. I considered LA as well, for many of the same reasons. I'm not a fan of los angeles "culture". I'm from the EC. But, let's get real: If you have an agent in los angeles(Or NY), and you're going out, and booking, you're way ahead of most of the actors in the country(although it doesn't feel like it when you're stuck on the 101 during rush hour lol). If you really want out of L.A., NY would be the most logical choice. The film/tv production in NY has seen pretty good uptick in the last couple of years. check this article:New York triples its post-production tax credit - Los Angeles Times

also this:http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun...ation-20110615

Now, I'm sure living in Louisiana is nice..but you need to be in the flow of things to get anywhere. LA is not in the flow of things. You book in L.A./NY and GO TO places like LA to work. If you want to work indies in that area, find an agent in that area, email/skype your auditions, and work as local hire. Now..you guys were talking SAG-franchised agents. The franchise agreement, even with the merger means nothing. many agents are using General services contracts anyway. So, when looking for a "local" agent, their franchise status has no bearing on their legitimacy as agents. If casting calls in their clients, if their business practices(as in, no problems getting paid) are sound..they're probably OK. In any case, OP, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by seansean; 12-26-2012 at 07:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 11:13 AM
 
974 posts, read 1,912,050 times
Reputation: 781
Good points, however on the SAG/AFTRA franchised agent discussion. . . the consideration is on "best practices".
For example, SAG/AFTRA franchised agents can only deduct 10% standard agency commission from the performers rate.
This doesn't include a total deduction of 10% for any add-ons such as transportation / meal reimbursements, etc.
My acting pals have explained to me that they've encountered some non-signatory agencies that:

-- Require actors to pay upfront for an "agency administrative fee" or some dubious service before booking
-- Deduct / require 20% or more of the talent rate PLUS meal penalties, Pension & Welfare, Travel reimbursements, etc.
-- Require actors they rep to pay to appear on their website photo galleries
-- Require actors they rep to pay for headshot / Zedcard photos from a photographer of their choosing
-- Require actors they rep to pay for acting / modeling lessons & workshops they either offer or promote

While not all non-franchised agents are guilty of the above, it appears that much of the aforementioned does take place
as a requirement for representation. At the end of the day, if an actor feels they've been slighted or unfairly exploited by
their non-franchised agency, then they have to pursue a remedy on their own with the local Better Business Bureau
or take their own legal action. Whereas with a SAG/AFTRA franchised agency, the actor need only contact their local SAG/AFTRA
office in their region for assistance.

It's not all black & white as laid out in this commentary, there are many shades of grey to be sure. It's just that my acting buds
have learned the hard way and have discovered the SAG/AFTRA franchised agency route gives them less to worry about and some
level of recourse should things go sour. Of course each person's experience may differ but it's a good idea to look at all angles as it is after all a business decision that shouldn't be taken lightly.

FWIW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 06:17 PM
 
236 posts, read 278,698 times
Reputation: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
Good points, however on the SAG/AFTRA franchised agent discussion. . . the consideration is on "best practices".
For example, SAG/AFTRA franchised agents can only deduct 10% standard agency commission from the performers rate.
This doesn't include a total deduction of 10% for any add-ons such as transportation / meal reimbursements, etc.
My acting pals have explained to me that they've encountered some non-signatory agencies that:

-- Require actors to pay upfront for an "agency administrative fee" or some dubious service before booking
-- Deduct / require 20% or more of the talent rate PLUS meal penalties, Pension & Welfare, Travel reimbursements, etc.
-- Require actors they rep to pay to appear on their website photo galleries
-- Require actors they rep to pay for headshot / Zedcard photos from a photographer of their choosing
-- Require actors they rep to pay for acting / modeling lessons & workshops they either offer or promote

While not all non-franchised agents are guilty of the above, it appears that much of the aforementioned does take place
as a requirement for representation. At the end of the day, if an actor feels they've been slighted or unfairly exploited by
their non-franchised agency, then they have to pursue a remedy on their own with the local Better Business Bureau
or take their own legal action. Whereas with a SAG/AFTRA franchised agency, the actor need only contact their local SAG/AFTRA
office in their region for assistance.

It's not all black & white as laid out in this commentary, there are many shades of grey to be sure. It's just that my acting buds
have learned the hard way and have discovered the SAG/AFTRA franchised agency route gives them less to worry about and some
level of recourse should things go sour. Of course each person's experience may differ but it's a good idea to look at all angles as it is after all a business decision that shouldn't be taken lightly.

FWIW!
This is all true..but what if I told you that some franchised agents do the same thing, without sanction from sag/aftra..regardless of complaints filed? Moderator cut: libelous..these are agents who are legendary scammers, but are still in business. In the case of LA, it's a moot point as apparently, there aren't any franchised agents in the state. If OP is a working actor, then she should know to never deal with an agent that would do any of the things listed above. So, again..a SAG/AFTRA franchise is meaningless, and, if violated, rarely enforced.

I don't think you understand how dirty the industry really is.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-26-2012 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 09:46 AM
 
974 posts, read 1,912,050 times
Reputation: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansean View Post
This is all true..but what if I told you that some franchised agents do the same thing, without sanction from sag/aftra..regardless of complaints filed? ...I don't think you understand how dirty the industry really is.
Actually, I do and I don't disagree. Yes, some agents skirt sanctions and still stay in the game but not all. A franchise designation keeps honest people honest. Just as in any biz. The thing about a franchise is that they get a rep if they get too many complaints and word gets around. Even in L.A. At least with a franchise agent an actor has some protection / recourse, however minor it may seem. And in the case of missed or inaccurate payments, at least the actor has some organization to turn to for a possible remedy.

Back to the original point of discussion, the OP was looking at New Orleans as a possible (permanent?) relocation to pursue acting career(s). While it's not impossible, given the points you and I have laid out, (i.e. advantages to locales like NY, L.A., SAG/AFTRA representation, etc.) seems like there are some compelling arguments to stay put and go fishing where the you have more opportunities for more than extra & day-player bits. N'est ce pas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 AM
 
236 posts, read 278,698 times
Reputation: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
Actually, I do and I don't disagree. Yes, some agents skirt sanctions and still stay in the game but not all. A franchise designation keeps honest people honest. Just as in any biz. The thing about a franchise is that they get a rep if they get too many complaints and word gets around. Even in L.A. At least with a franchise agent an actor has some protection / recourse, however minor it may seem. And in the case of missed or inaccurate payments, at least the actor has some organization to turn to for a possible remedy.

Back to the original point of discussion, the OP was looking at New Orleans as a possible (permanent?) relocation to pursue acting career(s). While it's not impossible, given the points you and I have laid out, (i.e. advantages to locales like NY, L.A., SAG/AFTRA representation, etc.) seems like there are some compelling arguments to stay put and go fishing where the you have more opportunities for more than extra & day-player bits. N'est ce pas?
Are you an actor? do you work in the industry in any capacity?

are you in a industry-related union?

I understand your POV, but I'm speaking from direct experience. I'm not getting my info second-hand from "actor-friends". If you can't answer "yes" to one of the above questions, I have a hard time respecting your opinion as an informed opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 AM
 
974 posts, read 1,912,050 times
Reputation: 781
Couldn't really care less about what you or anyone else thinks of my opinion. FWIW however I am a guild-member and have considerable direct experience in working within this industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2013, 11:33 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
151 posts, read 258,957 times
Reputation: 110
The city would have you believe it's bigger than it is. Yes, it exists, and it's kind of cool. But it has NOTHING compared to LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top