Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 06:16 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Wasn't it just in the 1960-1970s that a woman sued the state to be declared "white"? She applied for a passport AIR and found out she was "black." The law was 1/16th AA blood made you "black."

I don't remember if they changed the law then ir nit.
I thought it was 1/8 black that made you "black". But is that even still in effect today? Who the hell goes back to see if they have 1/16 black blood or any blood in them? But suing the state to be declared white? A bit ridiculous I must say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 01:31 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,965 times
It is more tolerant than other southern cities I have lived in, in large part (I suspect) because NO is a tourist economy. The city survives on visitiors and therefore visitors of all types have to feel comfortable. I can't speak to any overt racism, as I have not seen or experienced it, but I have a feeling that my 87 year old landlord would look askance at any non-white tenants. We have an apartment that is about to turn over, so I am curious to see if my hunch is correct.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I thought it was 1/8 black that made you "black". But is that even still in effect today? Who the hell goes back to see if they have 1/16 black blood or any blood in them? But suing the state to be declared white? A bit ridiculous I must say.
It was a while ago but I was wrong on the percentage, it was 1/32nd.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-26-2012 at 06:26 AM..

Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,441 times
One of Norman Rockwell's most famous illustrations is set in New Orleans--the one with the burly feds walking a cute pig-tailed black girl to school, along with the splats of tomatoes along the wall that were being lobbed at her by a white mob.

The name of that girl is Ruby Bridges, and it is William Frantz School, in the Galvez neighborhood. She was the first to attend an otherwise segregated school in an all-white neighborhood. She was largely alone for the entire year. These days, Galvez is now pretty close to 100% African American.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:07 PM
MGD

122 posts, read 290,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
One of Norman Rockwell's most famous illustrations is set in New Orleans--the one with the burly feds walking a cute pig-tailed black girl to school, along with the splats of tomatoes along the wall that were being lobbed at her by a white mob.

The name of that girl is Ruby Bridges, and it is William Frantz School, in the Galvez neighborhood. She was the first to attend an otherwise segregated school in an all-white neighborhood. She was largely alone for the entire year. These days, Galvez is now pretty close to 100% African American.
what made it change from being nearly all white to nearly all black?

Old 09-29-2012, 03:11 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
what made it change from being nearly all white to nearly all black?
Basically the same changes that happened in many other cities and what caused "White Flight".

Old 06-16-2014, 02:47 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
At one time not to long ago, New Orleans was one of the most segregated and racially hostile cities.
According to my parents and other relatives it didn't matter whether you were light or dark skinned. Black was black, period and the law treated you accordingly during those eras and sadly, thereafter. There were places blacks were forbidden to go. My mother told me of times they went to the movies and were crammed into the 'Negro" section, drank from the "colored" fountains, among many other indignities suffered. Schools were segregated, supplies and books were substandard walked long distances to school. Also, Blacks were only allowed to go to Lincoln Beach at the time:

Lincoln Beach amusement park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Racist to the core:

Leander Perez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I could go on, but I won't.

So , While New Orleans is well known for being racially mixed, the racism and segregation was just as prevalent during the Jim Crow era and the subtle hostilities still linger today. Don't be fooled by the facade. Don't get me wrong. I'm proud to be from N.O., but not proud of the ugly past. I'm indeed proud of the way my parents, relatives and others endured and suceeded.
Lies and more lies. Ever since they started measuring segregation using a dissimilarity index in the mid 20th century, New Orleans never ranked in top 10 most segregated cities. Even prior to that period, it was said that people of different races mixed much more freely in New Orleans than other American cities. LOL....true words of a history revisionist talking about a racially hostile city. Can't be actually from New Orleans to say something like that.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:49 PM

639 posts, read 820,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
At one time not to long ago, New Orleans was one of the most segregated and racially hostile cities.
According to my parents and other relatives it didn't matter whether you were light or dark skinned. Black was black, period and the law treated you accordingly during those eras and sadly, thereafter. There were places blacks were forbidden to go. My mother told me of times they went to the movies and were crammed into the 'Negro" section, drank from the "colored" fountains, among many other indignities suffered. Schools were segregated, supplies and books were substandard walked long distances to school. Also, Blacks were only allowed to go to Lincoln Beach at the time:

Lincoln Beach amusement park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Racist to the core:

Leander Perez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I could go on, but I won't.

So , While New Orleans is well known for being racially mixed, the racism and segregation was just as prevalent during the Jim Crow era and the subtle hostilities still linger today. Don't be fooled by the facade. Don't get me wrong. I'm proud to be from N.O., but not proud of the ugly past. I'm indeed proud of the way my parents, relatives and others endured and suceeded.

This is ridiculous, the city has the nerve to have a street named after a bigot named Judge Perez. I know its in Jefferson Parish but it still should not be and it aint the only one. SMDH

Old 06-16-2014, 01:17 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
This is ridiculous, the city has the nerve to have a street named after a bigot named Judge Perez. I know its in Jefferson Parish but it still should not be and it aint the only one. SMDH
That street is in St. Bernard Parish, not Jefferson Parish (unless there is a different one). But now that street officially honors Judge Melvyn Perez (a long-time judge in St. Bernard Parish), though originally it was named for Leander Perez. This is in all that Wikipedia article on Leander Perez.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:16 PM

639 posts, read 820,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
That street is in St. Bernard Parish, not Jefferson Parish (unless there is a different one). But now that street officially honors Judge Melvyn Perez (a long-time judge in St. Bernard Parish), though originally it was named for Leander Perez. This is in all that Wikipedia article on Leander Perez.

Oh ok I knew it wasn't in Orleans for sure and I'm sorry I should have read the whole thing before commenting. Would you agree though that some of the street names/monuments in the New Orleans area need name changes/torn down because of what they represented in the pas which was a HORRIBLE period in not only New Orleans history but U.S. history?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans