Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 07:20 AM

639 posts, read 821,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
I saw slowly but surely NativeSon504; because I plan on moving back myself permanently a lil later in life when I slow down with working. As far as the economy, I'm also cautiously optimistic. But from what I can see on my monthly visits, not fast enough. I look at the East and just see beaucoup opportunity. The East is a prime example of the cities untapped potential. Single family homes, space for large retail, you know that suburban feel within REAL proximity to the rest of the city. Hell, the East is the city despite what anybody says. But development is at slower than a snails pace. The plaza has always been in limbo due to the slumlord owner. Once Mervyn's, Maison Blanche and Sears dipped out, that really murdered a lot of other really good retail that may have come there. But I stand firm on my belief that the East is untapped potential. The rest of the Eastbank needs some organic growth as well. The city is still not entrepreneurial friendly as it should be. That has always been a problem. I mean I see some lil bars and stuff opening like the one up the block from Gene's on St. Claude, but nothing around it. And maybe their target market isnt far outreaching. The really big issue is that the businesses/store fronts that closed down due to the storm; most of them never re-opened. Its a lotta work to do Son. A lot and the status quo has not changed a lot. I found it hard to move around when I started back investing after the storm. Dude there is still some foolishness being played.....
Yeah, I defintely feel ya. There is alot of untapped potential in the city for sure and there's also still alot of red tape to go through to get things done too. You're right there's still a lot of work to get done but I'll give the city some credit they've made some significant strides, just not at the accelerated pace some of us would like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 07:23 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
When will New Orleans population come back, I would think the metro area would be at least close to 2 million by now
They're not.

The powers that be in New Orleans have made it pretty clear that they would like to that city to remain smaller, whiter and wealthier than it was in the past. Katrina basically put gentrification on steroids.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:41 AM

643 posts, read 978,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
They're not.

The powers that be in New Orleans have made it pretty clear that they would like to that city to remain smaller, whiter and wealthier than it was in the past. Katrina basically put gentrification on steroids.
You're COMPLETELY wrong. They're constantly building new places to live because of the influx of new residents. This city has a mixture of all different races so why would, (or could they even), they tell a person they can't live here. A lot of the gentrifiers that have moved here arent necessarily wealthy...a lot are white tho. The population is growing...fact.

Last edited by sconley9922; 06-05-2014 at 08:29 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconley9922 View Post
You're COMPLETELY wrong. They're constantly building new places to live because of the influx of new residents. This city has a mixture of all different races so why would, or could they even, they tell a person they can't live here. A lot of the gentrifiers that have moved here arent necessarily wealthy...a lot are white tho. The population is growing...fact.
You're missing my point entirely.

Yes, new people are moving in. But most of the poor, black residents who left in the wake of Katrina are not coming back, and the powers that be don't want them back. No, they cannot explicitly forbid people from moving there. But they can, and are, planning redevelopment in such a way that most new residents will likely be white and at least middle class. They don't want more poor black people in New Orleans, and they are taking steps to make sure they stay away.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:11 AM

643 posts, read 978,003 times
Quote:

Yes, new people are moving in. But most of the poor, black residents who left in the wake of Katrina are not coming back, and the powers that be don't want them back. No, they cannot explicitly forbid people from moving there. But they can, and are, planning redevelopment in such a way that most new residents will likely be white and at least middle class. They don't want more poor black people in New Orleans, and they are taking steps to make sure they stay away.
I agree with some of that but what you initially responded to was, is new orleans' population gonna come back and you said its not...the gentrification that is happening here is replacing, and will surpass the people who aren't here anymore ...which will make the population grow bigger than it was

Last edited by sconley9922; 06-05-2014 at 08:28 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconley9922 View Post
I agree with some of that but what you initially responded to was new orleans' population gonna come back and you said its not...the gentrification that is happening here is replacing, and will surpass the people who aren't here anymore ...which will make the population grow bigger than it was
Maybe I misunderstood.

I thought by "coming back," you meant to ask when were displaced people returning. Apparently, you meant when would New Orleans' population return to pre-Katrina levels,

Old 06-05-2014, 08:22 AM

639 posts, read 821,009 times
Quote:

Some of what you are saying is correct but remember Orleans Parish is still 61% African American it was 70% African American before Katrina. So what your saying is that 61% will decrease even more in Orleans parish?

Old 06-05-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
Some of what you are saying is correct but remember Orleans Parish is still 61% African American it was 70% African American before Katrina. So what your saying is that 61% will decrease even more in Orleans parish?
I don't know for sure how it will all play out in the end. But I do believe many powerful people in Orleans Parish would like to see such a decrease.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:29 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
They're not.

Last time I watched the news about NOLA old Mayor Nagin was wanting it to be a "chocolate town"? What's happened to this philosophy and how has this changed since Katrina?

Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Last time I watched the news about NOLA old Mayor Nagin was wanting it to be a "chocolate town"? What's happened to this philosophy and how has this changed since Katrina?
Landrieu is the new mayor, things have changed since 10 years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans