U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,966 times

Advertisements

we are moving from san francisco to new orleans in february. we are two mid age adults used to city life. we are moving to one of the above neighborhoods. i want to be able to walk to coffee. any thoughts on the above mentioned neighborhoods would be greatly appreciated. we have lived in new orleans before, but not since the storm. thanks in advance! best, gigi o
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 PM

640 posts, read 1,068,849 times
Where did you live before the storm? What kinds of people are you? I think uptown is a lot more walkable than downtown depending on where you live. Remember, uptown has an assortment of neighborhoods while the bywater is just one downtown neighborhood. The bywater is still up and coming but would definitely be a good place to buy if you wanna jump on the rising prices before they get too high. There's a couple restaurants and coffeeshops around there but not as many as on Magazine street or Carrollton/Oak farther uptown. Mid-City is a decent neighborhood with good public tranist.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:09 AM

2 posts, read 5,966 times
Default thanks

we lived in french quarter-yuk. we are planing on renting first, then buying. my husband is cajun and has family in the country and in westwego. he is a musician(of course) with a swampy blues band. i do taxidermy art. we like city life (lived off grid in hawaii for 2 years and we almost went nuts). we have friends that live all over and are saying the bywater is fun. i think we'll end up in mid-city but would love to find a great deal uptown. thanks!

Old 10-11-2012, 05:47 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,001,236 times
Bywater would be the most liberal, bohemian area more likely to have resident musicians and artists. LGD would be the only area Uptown that has a somewhat similar vibe. Mid-City is a little more varied with blue and white collar mixed in, but would definitely be the cheapest of the three.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 3,825 times
I looked in all the areas you named when I moved back to NOLA last July. I settled Uptown a block off of St. Charles on the Magazine side about a mile from the expressway (if that). I LOVE this neighborhood. We can actually PARK around here! I rarely use my car now because I love jumping on the bus, streetcar or just walking because we have everything on this end of St Charles and Magazine. I love coffee too and there are many cool places around within walking distance. I frequent the French Quarter and the Marginy weekly however would not want to live there. I'm close to everything here. A taxi to French quarter is less than Parking rates and the bus is only 1.25. I love our lil corner grocery store and we have a lovely dog park around the corner where I love to go for a run. There are many beautiful homes surrounding various condo complexes that give it a real residential neighborhood feel but with way more activity than the residential areas further up St Charles toward the universities. Not nearly as exciting as this end!

Old 12-21-2012, 04:56 PM

14 posts, read 23,426 times
Crisg123, could you tell me some of the names of the condo complexes in that area? It sounds great!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:15 PM

933 posts, read 1,271,133 times
I think uptown would be best for you. There are many different coffee options and the crime is lower than the other two. It will most likely be more expensive, but trust me, uptown, in my opinion, is the premier area of the city.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:13 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,270,982 times
I'd say uptown or bywater... and since you don't care for the quarter, I'd go for uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans