Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,272 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning to visit New Orleans in the Thanksgiving holidays. I am living in the Northern Florida.

I found from web that there is a horse racing field (Fair Grounds Race Course) in New Orleans, and the racing season opens on Thanksgiving. I want to go to Fair Grounds Race Course to watch some horse racing on Thanksgiving. I never have been in New Orleans, and never have watched the horse racing, so I would like to ask some questions here.

From the schedule of Fair Grounds Race Course, the race course gates will open at 10 AM, and the first post time is 11 AM. If I arrive at Fair Grounds Race Course 3 PM to 4 PM, will be there still the horse racing after I arriving? Is there any restaurant (in Fair Grounds Race Course) where I can have the dinner on Thanksgiving day?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 01:39 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,829 times
There are generally 10-11 races a day with half an hour between races, so the racing would probably end around 4 or 4:30. There is no real restaurant, but you can buy pizza, hot dogs, etc. in the general admission area and there is a Thanksgiving buffet in the clubhouse. You will need reservations for that though.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:30 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times
Default Fyi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcity View Post
Hello,

I am planning to visit New Orleans in the Thanksgiving holidays. I am living in the Northern Florida.

I found from web that there is a horse racing field (Fair Grounds Race Course) in New Orleans, and the racing season opens on Thanksgiving. I want to go to Fair Grounds Race Course to watch some horse racing on Thanksgiving. I never have been in New Orleans, and never have watched the horse racing, so I would like to ask some questions here.

From the schedule of Fair Grounds Race Course, the race course gates will open at 10 AM, and the first post time is 11 AM. If I arrive at Fair Grounds Race Course 3 PM to 4 PM, will be there still the horse racing after I arriving? Is there any restaurant (in Fair Grounds Race Course) where I can have the dinner on Thanksgiving day?

Thank you in advance!
Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots | Home of the Louisiana Derby

Fair Grounds dining portion of their web site:

Please note: The Clubhouse dress code is strictly enforced. No shorts, t-shirts or sandals permitted.

Dining Experience | Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots

Contact Info:

Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots
1751 Gentilly Blvd.
New Orleans, LA 70119
Switchboard: (504) 944-5515
Clubhouse Reservations (racing season only): (504) 943-2200

Old 10-10-2012, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,272 times
Thank you both for the wonderful information! I noticed that New Orleans is one hour later than Florida. If the traffic is OK on that day, I should be able to arrive at New Orleans before 3 PM and then I should be able to watch two or three races.

Thank you very much again!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:14 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times
Default Be safe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcity View Post
Thank you both for the wonderful information! I noticed that New Orleans is one hour later than Florida. If the traffic is OK on that day, I should be able to arrive at New Orleans before 3 PM and then I should be able to watch two or three races.

Thank you very much again!
and have a very Happy Thanksgiving ddcity, sincerely.

HomeIsWhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: