Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 01:12 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,021 times

Advertisements

I feel stupid even asking this, but I know *you* guys will know.

I usually say "New ORlins" (phonetic), but have heard natives (typically older natives, like my landlord) refer to the city as "New OR-lee-ans". I have also heard non-natives refer to the city as "New Or-LEENS".

Which is the preferred pronounciation? This town has a lot of creative ways to pronounce words. Honestly, I think the extra syllable in the "New OR-lee-ans" sounds lovely. Does anyone care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 01:34 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,431 times
'New Or-lins' or 'Or-luns' are generally the way to go. I'll give Kermitt Ruffins a pass with his 'Ah-luns'.

'New Or-Leens' is a no no, as is 'Nawlins'.

'New Or-lee-ans', isn't right either. Too many syllables. My MIL says it that way and it drives me up the freakin wall. You won't hear it spoken like this very often, so it sounds pretty odd and touristy when you hear it in person.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:11 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I have a question about a town pronunciation as well. How do most people here pronounce Lafayette? I've just moved to Lake Charles, and I've heard a couple of people pronounce the first syllable like the word "laugh." But of course the french article "la" has the "ahh" vowel sound, so Lahh-fayette makes more sense in that regard. Having attended Purdue University, in West Lafayette Indiana, it would be hard for me to change how I pronounce it!!

Old 10-11-2012, 05:09 PM

814 posts, read 1,474,445 times
Lafayette- I pronounce it Lahh-fee-yet.

New Orleans- I usually pronounce it "New Or-lins". It seems to me that "New Ah-luns" is kind of popular too, I even say it some times.

I also know a family who all say it "New Or-lee-ans" but not too many other people usaully say it that way.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:21 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
The 3 syllable way is closest to the French pronunciation. Many older people use it. Or-luns is what I have heard most.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:36 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,252 times
Yeah, New Or-lee-ins is kind of an older generation thing. I don't think I've ever heard a young person say it like that. Unless you grew up in a certain neighborhood just stick to New Or-lins.

As for Lafayette, everyone there says Laugh-ee-ette, as do I.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 55,083 times
When I first got here, I had to make a Marine Safety Broadcast. I pronounced it New OR-LEANS and once I was done with the Broadcast, a bunch of mariners came up on the radio making fun of the way I was pronouncing New Orleans. I mostly hear mariners pronounce it Nawlins.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:50 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I feel stupid even asking this, but I know *you* guys will know.

I usually say "New ORlins" (phonetic), but have heard natives (typically older natives, like my landlord) refer to the city as "New OR-lee-ans". I have also heard non-natives refer to the city as "New Or-LEENS".

Which is the preferred pronounciation? This town has a lot of creative ways to pronounce words. Honestly, I think the extra syllable in the "New OR-lee-ans" sounds lovely. Does anyone care?
I heard the "New Or lee ans" pronunciation first as a child back in the 50s and 60s. Then there were a lot of people still alive who had born in the 1800s and early 1900s. So I picked it up. Later I changed it to New Orluns albeit subconsciously. I never heard New Orleens until I left this part of the country. The first time I heard it was in the West and thought to myself "what a bunch of hicks" But that pronunciation stands elsewhere so I just ignore it. If I get called on saying New Orluns(lins) then so be it. In my book, its right for the regional local accents.

As of late I have been hearing more and more people call New Orleans NOLA as I think maybe that started with the mockery of Nawlins being so prevalent everywhere. But I do hear it and not from CD'ers. Maybe it goes back longer than I know about.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:30 PM

151 posts, read 290,574 times
It's pronounced different everywhere in the city.

I say it "New Orlyns". I've heard it pronounced "nawlins", "New Orleeeeens", "New Orleee aans", and more. I don't think it really matters much. I think it depends how the people around you say it, and what their family/language background is.

I have to admit, the "nawlins" thing bothers me a bit because I think it makes New Orleans seem like a bunch of hicks.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:43 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moiraesfate View Post

I have to admit, the "nawlins" thing bothers me a bit because I think it makes New Orleans seem like a bunch of hicks.
I always hated "N'Awlins" because it reminded me of Frank Davis. Is he still around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans