Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 09:36 AM

240 posts, read 464,846 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

Later this week I'm visiting New Orleans for the first time. My silly question is this, what should I plan on wearing? I'm a 30 year-old male going strictly for leisure. I know it's going to be in the 70s while I'm there, and I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb.

-Are shorts acceptable? Jeans? Dress shoes vs. sandals vs. gym shoes?
-What do people wear out at night in Uptown, FQ, and Marigny?

Anyway, I'm just trying not to look too much like a tourist and I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks for your help, looking forward to visiting you guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 04:00 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,218 times
Not such a dumb question, you wanna blend in right? I'd say you WOULDN'T stick out as long as you don't have a panama hat, a hawaiian shirt, and a giant camera around your neck. Haha. You may want to wear jeans or slacks when you go out at night in case you'd like to go to a nicer restaurant, I don't see many bars/clubs frowning on shorts, but better safe than sorry. Maybe the same can be said for sneakers, bring a pair of nice shoes with you for those long pants. Otherwise, to stay comfortable and cool, shorts and comfortable shoes should suffice during the day if you're dining at casual places and sightseeing.

You'll see all kinds of styles out....people probably dress the best going out Uptown, but casual clothes aren't frowned upon. The Marginy can attract some pretty grungy/hipster (I'm tired of trying to classify it all) people, the French Quarter could have anything in between as well as some very well-dressed people. Hope that helps.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:55 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,454 times
This is a very subjective subject, but I say try to not look like you're from the suburbs. Leave the polo shirts, pleated pants, gym shorts and running shoes at home. Jeans/Chinos with tshirt/casual buttondown with somewhat fashionable sneakers.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:02 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
This is a very subjective subject, but I say try to not look like you're from the suburbs. Leave the polo shirts, pleated pants, gym shorts and running shoes at home.
What??? I wait on people from the city in the city every day wearing that. I don't think it's that specific really. The guy is gonna be recognized as being from out of town when he opens his mouth, not when he dresses in regular clothes. I'm pretty sure no one confuses me for someone from Metairie when I am Uptown in the attire you mentioned.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:32 PM

240 posts, read 464,846 times
Awesome, thanks guys! I really appreciate the input. Don't worry, I don't own any chinos (at least I don't think so........)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans