U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 12:32 PM

2,426 posts, read 4,073,326 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I am very very excited for my trip to New Orleans. I am just curious about some things. Here is my plan:

Day 1: December 1st (Saturday)
Arrive at 3:30pm. Take in the French Quarter, explore the bars, the music scene and the nightlife. Any recommendations on places to eat, drink and have fun?

Day 2: December 2nd (Sunday)
Explore the French Quarter in the morning, then I want to get a swamp tour. Any recommendations where to go for the swamps? Also would like to see a live music show somwhere at night in the French Quarter. Also what's a good breakfast/brunch place for Sunday?

Day 3: December 3rd (Monday)
Explore Downtown and the riverfront along it (worth it?) and maybe the Garden District. How far is the Garden District from downtown? Maybe some cemeteries. Any recommendations on that?

Day 4: December 4th (Tuesday)
Maybe take in more historical things. Any suggestions? Would like to explore the French Quarter some more but any particular historical sites I should check out? Like educational stuff?

Day 5: December 5th (Wednesday)
I leave this day like at 11am so don't think I will have time to do much. Maybe suggest a good place to eat breakfast?

Please, I would love to hear some great restaurants, bars and areas that I need to check out. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 11:40 AM

Not everyone at once!

Old 10-17-2012, 06:50 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,415,334 times
I suggest a walking tour through the National Park Service. It's free and so informative! - French Quarter Visitor Center - Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve

Also, find a tour of the St. Louis Cemetery #1. That's where the more famous and older of those are laid to rest (Nicholas Cage already has his prepped!)

Decatur Street in the Quarter (Borders the river) is SO pretty. WALK down it... there are a ton of neat shops and such there. Even if you don't buy anything, you'll be happy you did just for the scenery.

The Garden District is not far from CBD (Central Business District). If you take the St Charles Streetcar (HIGHLY recommended) you will see it. It's a very beautiful area!

If you're looking for a breakfast type thing in the quarter, you can't go wrong with Cafe Du Monde. They serve good beignets and coffee. I think everybody should go there when visiting NOLA because, to be honest, everybody who has visited here has! They'll bring it up and you can say "Oh I've been there!"

Also, get a REAL poboy from Genes Poboy on St Claude and Elysian Fields (Just a few blocks downriver of the quarter). They're open 24 hrs a day except on Sunday. When you see the building and inside you may think "Ummm... this place looks shady" ... but get a sausage and cheese poboy. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY!!! PLEASE don't call them a poor boy. They are a poboy, as in poh boy.

If you're looking for good crawfish, I'll recommend Broadview Seafood on the corner of N Broad and Bayou road. I have *never* sucked the heads of crawfish til I got them from here!

If you have time, check out the Chalmette Battlefield. - Chalmette Battlefield and National Cemetery Visitor Center - Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve

Of course Jackson Square and the St Louis Cathedral.

Go down Bourbon one night but don't let it fool you into thinking that's the REAL New Orleans night life. The music is loud and bangy, and annoying people (over indulgent tourists) litter the streets. If you're a younger female then you'll probably be harassed to take photos with them and show your body, especially if you're alone. If you spend all your time on Bourbon at night, you'll go home wondering what is so great about NOLA nightlife.

Frenchmen Street is fun... I'd recommend Blue Nile (Frenchmen & Chartres). Mimi's In The Marigny (on the corner of Franklin and Royal.. just a few blocks from the quarter) is also nice. There are also lots of active bars in the Quarter outside of Bourbon Street on Decatur.

Go to City Park. It's not near the quarter but it's a very serene place to hang out. New Orleans City Park

A steamboat ride down the Mississippi is always enjoyable.

A swamp tour is always nice, too. You'll see lots of wildlife and hear some interesting stories. Don't get a fan boat because the noise will scare off the wildlife!

That should get you started and I'm sure others will add to the list

Old 10-18-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
I suggest a walking tour through the National Park Service. It's free and so informative! - French Quarter Visitor Center - Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve

Also, find a tour of the St. Louis Cemetery #1. That's where the more famous and older of those are laid to rest (Nicholas Cage already has his prepped!)

Decatur Street in the Quarter (Borders the river) is SO pretty. WALK down it... there are a ton of neat shops and such there. Even if you don't buy anything, you'll be happy you did just for the scenery.

The Garden District is not far from CBD (Central Business District). If you take the St Charles Streetcar (HIGHLY recommended) you will see it. It's a very beautiful area!

If you're looking for a breakfast type thing in the quarter, you can't go wrong with Cafe Du Monde. They serve good beignets and coffee. I think everybody should go there when visiting NOLA because, to be honest, everybody who has visited here has! They'll bring it up and you can say "Oh I've been there!"

Also, get a REAL poboy from Genes Poboy on St Claude and Elysian Fields (Just a few blocks downriver of the quarter). They're open 24 hrs a day except on Sunday. When you see the building and inside you may think "Ummm... this place looks shady" ... but get a sausage and cheese poboy. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY!!! PLEASE don't call them a poor boy. They are a poboy, as in poh boy.

If you're looking for good crawfish, I'll recommend Broadview Seafood on the corner of N Broad and Bayou road. I have *never* sucked the heads of crawfish til I got them from here!

If you have time, check out the Chalmette Battlefield. - Chalmette Battlefield and National Cemetery Visitor Center - Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve

Of course Jackson Square and the St Louis Cathedral.

Go down Bourbon one night but don't let it fool you into thinking that's the REAL New Orleans night life. The music is loud and bangy, and annoying people (over indulgent tourists) litter the streets. If you're a younger female then you'll probably be harassed to take photos with them and show your body, especially if you're alone. If you spend all your time on Bourbon at night, you'll go home wondering what is so great about NOLA nightlife.

Frenchmen Street is fun... I'd recommend Blue Nile (Frenchmen & Chartres). Mimi's In The Marigny (on the corner of Franklin and Royal.. just a few blocks from the quarter) is also nice. There are also lots of active bars in the Quarter outside of Bourbon Street on Decatur.

Go to City Park. It's not near the quarter but it's a very serene place to hang out. New Orleans City Park

A steamboat ride down the Mississippi is always enjoyable.

A swamp tour is always nice, too. You'll see lots of wildlife and hear some interesting stories. Don't get a fan boat because the noise will scare off the wildlife!

That should get you started and I'm sure others will add to the list

Wow this is awesome! Thanks so much for this info.

I actually booked a hotel that is on Decatur and St. Louis. Which looks like is an awesome area to by staying at. Any places within the 3 block radius that I should really check out from my hotel?

Old 10-18-2012, 08:13 PM

I think I've stayed in that hotel. They beds are HARD if they're the same hotel. But they have a beautiful courtyard and a sweetheart of a cat that roams it It's a nice place to be as far as location.

Honestly the entire quarter is very walkable, especially where you are at. The entire length of the quarter can literally be walked in about 15 minutes. Parking is right across the street, but I don't remember how much a day it is.

Either case, Jackson Square / St Louis Cathedral is only 3 blocks down river from it. The river walk is only 1 or 2 blocks from it, and they have steamboat rides and it's a very lovely, friendly place to just take in the scenery or take a bite to eat that you got to-go. Cafe Du Monde is on the other side of Jackson Square. All along Jackson Square during the day, you will see many self employed artists and tarot card readers etc if you're into that kind of thing, which will probably be accompanied by NOLA style music and possibly a costumed dancer or two.

Decatur has SO many restaurants / bars its not even funny! The restaurants typically have their menus posted in the front so you can decide if you want to eat there before going in. The Audubon Aquarium isn't far from where you are staying either, it's about 4 or 5 blocks up river. I also forgot to mention the Audubon Zoo in the last post. That's a drive from the quarter (maybe 15 minutes) but when I visited it as a kid I loved it! You'll eat up a day there.

If you're into old stuff, yes the Quarter has it.

You can go to the oldest continually operated theatre in the country "Le Petit Theatre" is not far from your hotel on St. Peter Le Petit Theatre du Vieux Carre | French Quarter, New Orleans, LA

"Old Ursuline Convent" is the oldest building in the Mississippi River Valley. While it's in the quarter, it's quite a few blocks from your hotel. It's on Chartres. Old Ursuline Convent

The French Market is just on the other side of Cafe Du Monde. They have tons of cute stuff if you're into shopping.

I hope this helps

Old 10-19-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
I think I've stayed in that hotel. They beds are HARD if they're the same hotel. But they have a beautiful courtyard and a sweetheart of a cat that roams it It's a nice place to be as far as location.

Honestly the entire quarter is very walkable, especially where you are at. The entire length of the quarter can literally be walked in about 15 minutes. Parking is right across the street, but I don't remember how much a day it is.

Either case, Jackson Square / St Louis Cathedral is only 3 blocks down river from it. The river walk is only 1 or 2 blocks from it, and they have steamboat rides and it's a very lovely, friendly place to just take in the scenery or take a bite to eat that you got to-go. Cafe Du Monde is on the other side of Jackson Square. All along Jackson Square during the day, you will see many self employed artists and tarot card readers etc if you're into that kind of thing, which will probably be accompanied by NOLA style music and possibly a costumed dancer or two.

Decatur has SO many restaurants / bars its not even funny! The restaurants typically have their menus posted in the front so you can decide if you want to eat there before going in. The Audubon Aquarium isn't far from where you are staying either, it's about 4 or 5 blocks up river. I also forgot to mention the Audubon Zoo in the last post. That's a drive from the quarter (maybe 15 minutes) but when I visited it as a kid I loved it! You'll eat up a day there.

If you're into old stuff, yes the Quarter has it.

You can go to the oldest continually operated theatre in the country "Le Petit Theatre" is not far from your hotel on St. Peter Le Petit Theatre du Vieux Carre | French Quarter, New Orleans, LA

"Old Ursuline Convent" is the oldest building in the Mississippi River Valley. While it's in the quarter, it's quite a few blocks from your hotel. It's on Chartres. Old Ursuline Convent

The French Market is just on the other side of Cafe Du Monde. They have tons of cute stuff if you're into shopping.

I hope this helps
French Market Inn?

Thanks for this advice, I am getting really excited for this trip. I have been wanting to go to New Orleans for the longest time and now it's a little less than a month and half away. I have been so excited I have had trouble focusing at work!

Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 AM

Yes, French Market Inn. We only stayed for a night in April. Maybe I just got a bad room, but it was a 2 bedroom and both beds were nearly impossible to sleep in.

I hope you enjoy your stay! I talked to some tourists last night who loved the city and were just blown away when they learned you could get a "go cup" and walk through the streets with alcohol. Don't be afraid to ask the locals for advice, everybody is extremely friendly. It's a marvelous city with SO much charm. I fell in love with it and within a year of my first adult visit, I was living here

Just beware of the hustlers! Your shoes are on your feet and don't let anybody put beads around your neck...

Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 AM

605 posts, read 1,000,641 times
We stayed at the French Market Inn about 3 years ago. It was decent. They do have a pretty courtyard although we didn't see the kitty. We didn't spend a lot of time in our rooms though.

Mwah gave some excellent advice. I would add that while Cafe Du Monde is a must, if you want a full breakfast, try Camellia Grill. There is one on Chartres St close to your hotel in the Quarter, or if you fancy going a little further into Uptown, check out the Carrollton Ave Camellia Grill. It's a very pretty ride on the Uptown street car to get there.

Enjoy your visit!

Old 10-19-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinalimey View Post
We stayed at the French Market Inn about 3 years ago. It was decent. They do have a pretty courtyard although we didn't see the kitty. We didn't spend a lot of time in our rooms though.

Mwah gave some excellent advice. I would add that while Cafe Du Monde is a must, if you want a full breakfast, try Camellia Grill. There is one on Chartres St close to your hotel in the Quarter, or if you fancy going a little further into Uptown, check out the Carrollton Ave Camellia Grill. It's a very pretty ride on the Uptown street car to get there.

Enjoy your visit!
This is all great, now I am getting overwhelmed on planning this trip. It just seems like there is so much to see and do in New Orleans, and I want to experience it all. Also, is downtown worth exploring, or is downtown not worth it?

Old 10-19-2012, 02:57 PM

Downtown is a pretty typical downtown. Parking SUCKS! I may be wrong but I found nothing worth exploring downtown except some food. If you like the Saints, you can visit champion square during a game. That's free!

Also, don't underestimate the food before you get here. You may leave NOLA wishing you had more time just to eat everywhere!

Last edited by Mwahfromtheheart; 10-19-2012 at 03:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans