U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 07:46 AM

15 posts, read 23,985 times

Advertisements

I have visited NOLA a few times and have always wished I could stay but I end up going back to Illinois anyway. Well, there is not much for me in Illinois anymore so I am thinking about simply packing up what I have (****) and moving to NOLA and at least finally living in a coastal city that I love.

The obstacles: 36yo (sort of old to start over in a new city right?), pretty much broke, no job.

The positives: 7 years broadcasting experience (small to major market), law degree, healthy, no kids or wife to deal with. It's just me.

The dream: living in the French Quarter, working in NOLA, enjoying a city with real culture and personality.

I was thinking of trying to bartend initially (never done it before) but who knows. Maybe I am just dreaming and should stay put. Anyway, I thought I would post here and seek some advice. I've known a couple people who simply picked up and moved to a city they wanted to live in but they did it when they were younger than me.

Any advice is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:24 AM

4,941 posts, read 5,992,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA76 View Post
The obstacles: 36yo (sort of old to start over in a new city right?).
I can't offer you any advice, but just have to say, IMO, one is never too old for a new adventure/city.

Best of luck to you!!!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:40 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,020,846 times
Age should have nothing to do with it.

New Orleans is a little different. There are plenty of un-attatched or child free 30-60 somethings here, so you'll be in good company.

Getting a job is the only real hurdle.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:04 PM

8,280 posts, read 10,218,091 times
I just wandered by...

I don't think that your age has much to do with it, especially since you're only 36. Your credentials seem fine, although I'm guessing that you're not really interested in practicing law..

I'm presuming that you'll have enough to get started ( rent an apt, or find a roommate situation, etc). The economy is improving, albeit slowly. Of course, a job lined up ahead of time is always the preferred way, but if you're willing to do virtually anything, then anything's possible.

Just a thought: it might be a good idea to get in touch with the schools of law in New Orleans, and see if housing could be arranged in some fashion with current students, or perhaps recent grads, law professors,etc, who might have an "in" with local conditions regarding employment, housing, etc..

Old 10-31-2012, 12:26 PM

4,778 posts, read 6,504,387 times
Best thing about New Orleans is that it's not Austin or Portland. Where everything seems to be geared toward 22 yr olds and if you're 36 you're considered the old guy in the club.

New orleans has that "Grown folks" feel to it. Long live New Orleans.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the input everybody - you seem like a pretty positive bunch. MassVt - you're right, I'm not thrilled at the prospect of being a lawyer but I went to law school because the broadcasting industry brought me nothing but low pay and instability. I did well in law school (top 5% of my class at a decent regional school and passed the IL bar exam) and would welcome an opportunity to work but it doesn't exactly send a thrill up my leg. Plus, no one is hiring here. I'm giving it time but not that much time. If I could maybe land a weekend radio gig in NOLA and work as a bartender during the week or find some writing gig for a local paper or online site I might be able to make it work. I think I've discovered that I'd rather be happy and sort of just getting by than stressed and making more money.

I'll keep you posted and please - more advice or leads on gigs etc. is more than welcome.

How much does it cost to stay in the french quarter? Studio or 1 bedroom.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:23 PM

8,280 posts, read 10,218,091 times
I'm guessing that you're in the Chicago area--great city, still have thoughts of moving there, and I'm a bit older..

I'm guessing that you would still consider legal employment opportunities if they arose, but I understand that you'd probably prefer something else. There's also the question of health insurance, if you're not already covered ..

Radio/on-line/blogging, bartending, waiting tables in upscale restaurants ( which may have legal customers), working in healthcare ( administrative positions would be a good fit for you, with a law degree, look into major teaching hospitals), private/parochial teaching positions in grade/high schools, etc. THis is all theoretical, and there are practical considerations, of course, but some ideas to start with..I'm sure to have more a little later.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:42 PM

Thanks again for the advice. I'll look into the admin positions etc. I just found a listing for a studio apt in french quarter for $900/month. That's not bad for the type of life that comes with it. If I could seal up some type of job that pays at least 2k/month I'd jump on it and work from there.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:23 PM

19,867 posts, read 59,164,751 times
Remember LA is based on the Napoleonic Code so law is different. Passing the Bar here might not be so easy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:08 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,438,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Remember LA is based on the Napoleonic Code so law is different. Passing the Bar here might not be so easy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
This is true. Our legal system is based on European civil law, not common law. Some things are the same- the state adopted the UCC (except for article 2)-but certain things like stare decisis are not applied in LA law.

BTW, the Napoleonic Code actually came about in 1804- one year after Louisiana came to be an American territory. But they do have the same basic structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans