Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 03:18 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times

Advertisements

Last time I checked New Orleans has multiple international ports and has been competing for a "piece of the pie". I am pretty sure this topic has already been discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 06:23 PM

640 posts, read 1,226,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
I been to the area and like or not this is the heart of shopping for metro NOLA. I think by having an international port could bring foreign investment into the metro area. I know NOLA is on its way back but its has to be competitive against other cities who are going after the same piece of pie. (aka main port of trade for the Panama canal)
We already discussed this in another thread. And, again, if you read the news, the port of s. louisiana and new orleans is spending A LOT of money to ready for the panama canal widening. I would love to see Fat City thrive. I just don't know why you keep making these weird assumptions about the New Orleans area that you know nothing about. It's not like city can snap its fingers and all its problems are solved..economic development takes time. Luckily, the city is making the right choices now.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:22 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
We will see what happens when you do not take an aggressive approach when you are in a global economy now. This is not the old days where you can pick and choose and wait.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 PM

640 posts, read 1,226,083 times
Quote:
We will see what happens when you do not take an aggressive approach when you are in a global economy now. This is not the old days where you can pick and choose and wait.
My point is that even aggressive approaches take time...

Old 11-19-2012, 10:40 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Hold your horses buddy. Rome was not built in a day.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:20 PM

We will see. I hope NOLA continues to come back strong

Old 11-21-2012, 10:53 AM

477 posts, read 1,051,758 times
Don't know if this is true or just some conspiracy theory, but I heard that the real reason Cynthia Lee Sheng and other council members pushed for the law that make bars in the Fat City area close at something like 11pm on weeknights and 2am on weekends(not sure of exact times) was so that when they went out of business or closed down(which most of them did), the land and buildings would be dirt cheap. This would allow them to buy it all up at pennies on the dollar. Why would they want to do this in that crappy area? What is directly across the street from Fat City? Lakeside Mall, the single biggest source of tax revenue in the state. And there is no more room for expansion of that mall in its current location, so what is the most logical area for it to expand to? Fat City. I have many friends who are businessman in the area and they all truly believe this will happen in the future. They said the apt complexes will be next.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 PM

Yes, that would be great for the area. Attract new business and hitech industries will bring an educated work place. I dont understand why a place like metro New Orleans lets Miami make them look like a has been when it comes to building hirise condos and cleaning up the area. Metrp NOLA used to be the Queen Bee of the South. Tulane Ave going toward the airport needs some desperate help as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans