Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 06:51 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,061,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Sorry then. Many people believe that the criminal justice system is racist in that certain drug offenders are treated differently than others.

But even so, it's not the war on drugs doing it. It's drug addicts doing it to themelves. Lay blame where it's needed.
It's not "drug" addicts doing it. It's money addicts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 10:38 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Have you seen the conditions of NOLA public schools? I VERY MUCH believe that I have succeeded so far in my life because I went to very good private schools. It is not fair that poor people have to go to crappy schools where teachers are in unions and cant be fired and therefore dont care about the kids' well-being. It is impossible to force parents to care about their kids, so schools are the next best thing.

It sounds like you are basically saying that poor black kids will never care about school and always be criminals. That is utterly ridiculous. Showing positive role-models and having good discipline in a child's life is extremely valuable. If i spent my whole young education in a ratty public school with horible teachers where nobody cared I dont think I would care about myself either.
Thank you. Not all Black kids are careless when it comes to education. I'm Black, and I have relatives in the New Orleans area. I have cousins who went to private school. My family and me lived in New Orleans for a time, and my mother said that if we had stayed, I would have been put in a private school because the schools were so bad.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:53 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I think the AA community needs to address this as they have the best knowledge of what is going on. Those of use who are White can pontificate all we want but we really don't have the experience to devise a good solution.
Thank you. That was one of the most fair, objective comments I've read on this site. By fair I mean if white people so often feel that they are experienced, wise enough to educate black people on how to think and behave, then that same logic should also apply vice-versa. But it never seems to without furious "how dare you!" remarks piercing the air.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:47 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
Quote:
Sorry then. Many people believe that the criminal justice system is racist in that certain drug offenders are treated differently than others.

But even so, it's not the war on drugs doing it. It's drug addicts doing it to themelves. Lay blame where it's needed.
You sound like you might be out of touch with the realities. Drug addicts don't get prison time, the dealers do. These are some of the same dealers who do it to feed their children or siblings, to keep the lights on at the house or to pay his grandmothers utility bill. Not all of them are saints (no pun intended), some do it simply because it's easy money, and they get addicted to the fast paced money and reputation.
It IS the war on drugs. For the addicts who go to prison, they are treated like criminals instead of giving them the treatment and tools they need to go back out and be upstanding, tax-paying citizens. The current American criminal justice system is a joke and I feel its supporters have never been in the shoes of those effected.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:07 AM

640 posts, read 1,225,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You sound like you might be out of touch with the realities. Drug addicts don't get prison time, the dealers do. These are some of the same dealers who do it to feed their children or siblings, to keep the lights on at the house or to pay his grandmothers utility bill. Not all of them are saints (no pun intended), some do it simply because it's easy money, and they get addicted to the fast paced money and reputation.
It IS the war on drugs. For the addicts who go to prison, they are treated like criminals instead of giving them the treatment and tools they need to go back out and be upstanding, tax-paying citizens. The current American criminal justice system is a joke and I feel its supporters have never been in the shoes of those effected.

I completely understand what you are saying. And I do have a very idealistic way of viewing things. But, that still doesn't explain why the system is necessarily racist against blacks.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:22 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
Quote:
I completely understand what you are saying. And I do have a very idealistic way of viewing things. But, that still doesn't explain why the system is necessarily racist against blacks.
It has nothing to do with race or percieved racism. The system cannot be racist.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:42 PM

89 posts, read 231,163 times
Who said it was racist?

Quote:
I really hate this common argument. How can it be racist if everyone knows that drugs are illegal?

Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,125 times
Poverty, and all the social problems it brings, is the problem. Any area where poor people are concentrated you will see a lot of crime. The race, ethnicity or nationality doesn't matter. Black people just happen to be poor at a much larger extent than any other ethnic group in the US and that has its original roots in slavery and its aftermath.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:37 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
Poverty, and all the social problems it brings, is the problem. Any area where poor people are concentrated you will see a lot of crime. The race, ethnicity or nationality doesn't matter. Black people just happen to be poor at a much larger extent than any other ethnic group in the US and that has its original roots in slavery and its aftermath.
When the Irish came to this nation, they came here as poor people, discriminated, hated, and living in the slums. Many resorted to crime. When the Irish were finally counted as "White", these problems eventually ended.
How the Irish Became White

I also want to add something. Racism plays a big part in what has happened to Blacks. Another thing I want to bring up is culture. Many people look at Blacks, and then point to culture as the problem. However, not many people think about the roots of it. I have a link about this.

Black Rednecks and White Liberals: Who's a Redneck? | Capitalism MagazineCapitalism Magazine

Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 AM

117 posts, read 257,522 times
Well, the city is mostly black... so therefore......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans