Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 9,619 times

Advertisements

My husband is being relocated to Belle Chasse Base and I have no clue where we should live that will not be to expensive a month but is not all messed up from the hurrican. Can someone tell me where I should look for any housing near New Orleans/ Belle Chasse area? We have to move by November 15, 07. It has to be nice enough living for two kids. Please someone give me some advice where I should look for a place to live for 4. Thanks.

Brooke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 08:34 PM

177 posts, read 792,512 times
Belle Chasse is a good area to be in. The biggest thing there is the Joint Naval Air Station. There was relatively little damage from the storm compared to other areas and it is fully up and running so that shouldn't affect you. There are also some pretty good areas in Terrytown and Gretna but there are some rougher areas as well so just ask around a little bit. I don't know too much about rentals but you may want to check something like craigslist and if you have any more specific questions post here. What is your concept of not too expensive?

Old 09-18-2007, 09:28 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
Belle Chasse is a good area to be in. The biggest thing there is the Joint Naval Air Station. There was relatively little damage from the storm compared to other areas and it is fully up and running so that shouldn't affect you. There are also some pretty good areas in Terrytown and Gretna but there are some rougher areas as well so just ask around a little bit. I don't know too much about rentals but you may want to check something like craigslist and if you have any more specific questions post here. What is your concept of not too expensive?
Just a suggestion...I would consider looking to live in St. Charles Parish and letting your hubby commute to Belle Chase. Rentals will be more affordable, you will be safer and the schools in St. Charles parish are much better. Luling would be closest, but with the Mississippi River Bridge in Luling you could also easily live in Destrehan across the river.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:27 AM

32 posts, read 143,188 times
Default Moving to Belle Chasse?

Okay so I live in Belle Chasse, and I would have to say that it is one of the best suburbs of New Orleans.I can't see where St.Charles parish would be "saffer," than Belle Chasse. And Plaqumines Parish has one of the best school systems in Louisiana so I highly doubt that St.Charles parish has better schools. On the other hand i would have to let you know the price of living in Belle Chasse is somewhat on the expensive side (but nothing un-manageable). Because, Belle Chasse is so small there will rarely be listings of rentals or houses for sale on any web-site. My best advice would be to live on base while in pursuit of a home off base.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:48 AM

32 posts, read 143,188 times
Also Commuting from St.Charles parish, Luling, or (especially) Destrehan will be at least an hour or more drive (depending on how bad traffic is). Many cities in Jefferson parish would be closer, but it will still be (at least) a 30 min. commute from say Westwego (jefferson parish) to Belle Chasse (plaqumines). If travel time would be an issue ( i would deffinatly consider that). I live in Belle Chasse and i work in Harvey (one of the closest cities in jefferson parish) and it takes me at least 30mins to get to work, because of traffic (wich is usually absolutly horrible). And with gas prices these days...well i'm sure you get my point!

Old 10-05-2007, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 19,068 times
Default I am moving to Belle Chasse Too and need advice

Hi, I am goingto be relocating from chattanooga Tennesse to the NO area, specifically Belle Chasse. I am having trouble as well trying to find affordable rental houses. I am up for spending about 700 or so for a 3 bedroom place, but it doesnt seem like there is anything inthat ball park. I love NOLA area and look forwar to moving, but I am panicking about a place to live. I dont have to live in Belle Chasse, but at least with in 1 hour drive from there. I have an 11 year old son and want to find a good neighborhood and a good school. If you are a native or just did the same move....PLEASE HELP!!

What cities are afordable, safe and full of greatness that I know LA has?

Thank you for your advice!!

Mar

Old 10-11-2007, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 19,068 times
Exclamation Still having Problems finding rentals and schools

well, I have searched and searched and I am just really concerned I may end up in the wrong place. I have looked in Belle Chasse where my spouse will be working and have found mostly just small studio apts. I am in need of at least 2 BR's and close to a decent school. The move is coming up very soon and so few choices of where to live. I found the most openings for rentals in Metarie LA and ws wondering how is that area. I have foind nothing in Slidell. I have found only Metarie and Harvey, and Kenner for availability. Is it because of Katrina that there are so few choices right now or is it just a great place to live. If anyone know of anything that could help, PLEASE HELP!!

Thank you for the insight from the local community- it really helps in making decisions when relocating from the Mountains of Tennessee and no I don't wear over alls. LOL

Thanks
Marlys

Old 10-15-2007, 04:43 PM

177 posts, read 792,512 times
Some neighborhoods in Harvey are just fine but some spots aren't so good so you'll want to check first before you leap. The public schools in Harvey are generally not as good as Belle Chasse so private should be at least a consideration.

Metairie is generally a very good area and the schools are better but not great and it is a little further out. The public magnet schools are fantastic but you need to get accepted into those.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:11 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephonee3 View Post
Okay so I live in Belle Chasse, and I would have to say that it is one of the best suburbs of New Orleans.I can't see where St.Charles parish would be "saffer," than Belle Chasse. And Plaqumines Parish has one of the best school systems in Louisiana so I highly doubt that St.Charles parish has better schools. On the other hand i would have to let you know the price of living in Belle Chasse is somewhat on the expensive side (but nothing un-manageable). Because, Belle Chasse is so small there will rarely be listings of rentals or houses for sale on any web-site. My best advice would be to live on base while in pursuit of a home off base.
I do think that Belle Chase is maybe second only to Metairie for being the best suburb of New Orleans. However, since rentals are so hard to come by there I think the west bank of St. Charles Parish is a viable option. Yes, it will be an almost hour commute - but there are rentals homes there to rent, moreso than apartments. Not to disagree with you about schools, but St. Charles schools do score higher than the ones in Belle Chase. Currently St. Charles is 6th in the state rankings and Plaqumines Parish is 10th - though that is relatively close and not worth arguing over.

Here are some links to help people learn about the schools in both areas:

Louisiana schools - LA elementary, middle and high school information

Louisiana schools - LA elementary, middle and high school information

Last edited by lovesMountains; 10-16-2007 at 07:48 AM..

Old 10-22-2007, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 9,428 times
Default Belle Chasse info

If I were you I would find a good real estate agent. Moderator cut: please use DM function for referrals, thank you The only other place on the westbank I would live, and do live is Old Gretna. Good luck. The schools in Belle Chasse are very good and the people are great. It is a good community.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-25-2007 at 02:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans