Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,604 times

Advertisements

Hi, was hoping for some recommendations - need a hotel for 3-4 nights for a family trip. Don't want to stay in the Quarter, but close since we aren't planning on having a car. Need a safe place, with a pool for sure. Willing to spend some cash so soemthing nice.
Also, can anyone recommend fishing charters in NO or close? Our 7 year old really wants to go, but we would need to do something that was planned with someone as a guide, since we have no gear, don't know what we're doing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 AM

151 posts, read 290,671 times
Try the CBD, but you will have a very hard time finding a swimming pool in the downtown area. There just isn't room. I think The Saint has a pool.

I work in the hotel industry but I don't know of anywhere that takes people out for fishing. I really really suggest that you not fish in Lake Ponchatrain or off the side near Jackson Square into the Mississippi. It's not exactly known for cleanliness and Ponchatrain has a history. If you can, you'd be better off finding boats that would go in to the ocean. You may be able to find a place you can hunt crawfish.

The best I can suggest is to google it.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 AM

thanks Moiraesfate - what about Garden District or other areas for hotels?

Old 01-22-2013, 10:51 AM

45 posts, read 161,202 times
The Le Rechelieu has a nice pool and it is down in the quarter. Not in the mega tourist section. And you can get a suite which is very nice for a family. Goggle fishing in New Orleans. There are several fishing charter companies. Some may even pick you up.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 AM

151 posts, read 290,671 times
You will find lots of places in the Garden District, but they won't have the more typical hotels that you find in say the French Quarter. You'll instead find boutique hotels (20-50 rooms or so) and bed and breakfasts. I don't know if any of them have pools but they will be incredibly beautiful and the essence of New Orleans.

I work for a small hotel on St Charles and we don't have a pool, and only 26 rooms. Since the hotel was just bought (I'm a new employee, hired by the new owner, since around a month ago, though I've been in the industry over 10 years in various different positions for different hotel companies), I'm not aware of any hotels around us that have a pool (I could be wrong though). Most hotels around us are between 20 and 80 rooms. There's also some bed and breakfasts.

I know you feel that a hotel with a pool is very important, but I suggest that you consider the Audubon Water Park called the Cool Zoo. It's really awesome. Audubon doesn't have a hotel, though.

It's strange but it's rare in New Orleans to have a swimming pool, even in the ritzier homes. I think it's because of the humidity. There are times when walking outside is so humid that it feels like you're swimming through the air. I think most people just don't feel the need for a pool. Pools don't keep you cool here and old houses are often made with long narrow passages and very high ceilings because they keep you cooler than any other method. The hotel I work for, for example, is always about 20 degrees cooler than outside because of the way it's shaped.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:20 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,297 times
Try the Frenchmen. Its a cute little hotel with a small pool walking distance to the Quarter in the Marigny.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times
The Westin on Canal Street has a rooftop pool (it is on the outer edge of the Quarter).
La Pavillion on Poydras has a rooftop pool (about 5 blocks from edge of Quarter).
Sheraton has a pool too (just outside of the Quarter).
Marriott has a pool (it is on the outer edge of the Quarter).
Windsor Court has a pool (just outside the Quarter)
Double Tree has a pool (just outside of Quarter)
Hilton has a pool (just outside of the quarter).
Probably some more

It seems to me that most hotels in the CBD have pools.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:43 PM

thanks!!

Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 PM

177 posts, read 792,797 times
Hotel Intercontinental on St. Charles also has a rooftop pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans