Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:18 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,040 times

Advertisements

Just having gotten out of the Army, I want to try my hand at something I've always wanted to do for a very long time; police work. Doing a bit of online browsing I noticed the NOPD was hiring, so I thought a Cop in the Big Easy? Why not give it a shot?

Some questions I have....
-Is $35K in the academy then once graduated $43K/year enough for a decent living for the area? I am single so I have no spouse or kids to worry about. I don't really want to commute that much to find a decent place to live.
-What's the reputation of the NOPD nowadays with locals?

I've heard a lot bad things spoken of New Orleans; especially its crime rate, but then I figure hey how much more "dangerous" than LA could it really be?

And yes I am applying locally, but I like to have options.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 PM

45 posts, read 161,179 times
NOPD does need good cops. That salary will allow you to live, but not high on the hog. Most cops also moonlight doing security elsewhere and there is lots of OT available during festivals. As far as the locals with the cops, I guess it depends where you are and what you were called for. Probably like everywhere else.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 PM

151 posts, read 290,574 times
The cost of living here is quite high, that salary will let you live but not well. Places to rent are expensive. From the research I've been doing, it can actually be better to have a mortgage.

The NOPD doesn't have a great rep with the locals.

Let me put it this way... the cops seem to be more concerned with stopping people who have expired break tags than they are with stopping the speeders, the insane people that cut you off while driving and don't use their signals, or actually doing something about the crazy way people drive around here. It's a miracle that there aren't more deaths on these roads.

In fact, there is a place near my house where they set traps for people with expired brake tags. I've actually seen five cop cars at once pulling people over and then giving tickets for the stupid break tags. All while watching as crazy people are cutting each other off at a red light at the intersection and doing nothing about it.

I actually feel safer on the roads in Atlanta than I do in New Orleans. And getting in a cab here makes you feel like you're taking your life in your own hands. I've gotten out of cabs feeling nauseated because of the stopping, starting, speeding, and sudden breaks. I've had times when I've been grabbing onto the seat for dear life hoping that I don't get hit because the cab driver didn't bother to use the signal and cut someone off.

Whats worse, complaining about any of these things to any of these peoples bosses (government or company) doesn't help. They ignore you.

New Orleans crime rate got alot better after Katrina, but it's recently gotten alot worse. A couple years ago, there were car jackings and last year home invasions going on in Metairie. And that's supposed to be one of the good places to live. Mind you, I haven't heard that kind of thing for the last year or so, so maybe it's gotten a little better.

We need good moral police that are willing to do whats needed to make sure the people are safe. If you are one of those, then we need and want you very badly. Just please stay one of those.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:44 PM

94 posts, read 220,211 times
I have some friends in NOPD and they say that because of all the recent federal indictments, you have to watch everything you do, to the point of making it almost impossible to do your job. Most of them are re-enlisting in the military or looking for a change in career.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:57 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,021 times
I think that salary is decent-- New Orleans is slightly below the national average (most places give it 97/98 with the national average being 100) for COL. Many of the locals think its expensive because the market doesn't typically pay well, and some things (like utils) can be a pricey with weird, jacked on fees. Transplants (esp someone coming from an are where the COL is well above the national average) will find that their money goes quite a bit further here than other places. I have a good friend who makes about what you are expecting and lives in a nice place in a decent neighborhood

Renting is not cheaper that buying, esp short term. Housing prices in a "good" area are actually rising quite a bit for purchase. Expect to pay about $800-1000 for a nice rental in the city, less in the 'burbs. We have a couple other threads devoted to rent vs. buy if you want to check them out.

I think you can do it. You won't be wealthy but you will be fine as long as you don't have a bunch of debt and obligation financially.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:19 PM

151 posts, read 290,574 times
confused, I am a transplant. Actually, the standard of living is higher almost anywhere else in the country than in Louisiana with salaries paying higher, and the cost of living being lower. Except for the north east.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,021 times
Below are some links that seem (to me) to have accurate numbers in terms of COL here. I moved here from DC (and before that SF and Chicago, with some time spent in some other small cities like Savannah)-- New Orleans is nowhere CLOSE to what you pay in many other urban areas, which appealed to me greatly. I paid $2800 to live in a 2BR 2BA condo in DC, and before that, $1300 to live in a studio. I now pay less than what I paid for a studio in DC to live in a 2 story apt (about 900 sq ft) in a historic house that is on the home tour in the most expensive neighborhood in the city, central to everything. I make the same money I made in DC and live (almost) like a queen. My groceries, rent, transportation and entertainment expenses are exponentially lower. Only car insurance and utils seem to be as expensive or even a little more than I am used to.

This place is not that bad. I think it depends on where you moved from. I hear that its expensive from a lot of people and I scratch my head.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Why New Orleans, Why Now? | invadeNOLA

Last edited by Yac; 02-13-2013 at 06:18 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 AM

799 posts, read 1,549,186 times
Agree. I am from LA and I find COL in New Orleans CHEAP as all get out. I spend months at a time there working on film shoots and am amazed at how far my money goes. I looked at buying a condo-- again, prices are far lower than LA either for rent or purchase. I don't understand how anyone on earth thinks its expensive. (Sorry PP).

Old 01-31-2013, 10:01 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,012 times
I'm going to give my 2 cents for what it's worth. I am not a cop, but DH is and this would be his advice to you: If you are looking for a career as a LEO in this area, do not start with the NOPD, but head to one of the other surrounding parishes. Here is why: In all honesty you may not like what you see when you work for NOPD and if you are looking to move on to a neighboring parish, they are going to look extra long and hard at you simply because you are NOPD trained. I'm not saying don't ever go to the NOPD, just don't start out with the NOPD.

Like Goosenola said, you can't even sneeze the wrong way in the NOPD right now and yes many guys are leaving the NOPD because they feel as if they are being thrown under the bus for the sake of rank and to appease an angry public. There are plenty of good guys in the NOPD, but the bad guys, and there are plenty enough of them as well, have earned the NOPD a reputation that isn't popular with the public or other sheriff's departments.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:22 AM

203 posts, read 518,765 times
I personally don't think $43k a year is worth your life given how dangerous the city of New Orleans has grown to be. You are better off deploying to Afghanistan in the Army. At least there you receive deployment/hazard pay which will put you well above the $43k (before taxes) with NOPD. The city has a history of dislike for the police department. I can understand this because everytime your see the police they are eating free at popeyes chicken and texting while they should be on duty protecting the people. Visit one of the police stations and look at how out of shape the cops are in New Orleans. No discipline. I would re-enlist and if you don't like your MOS then switch to something else. I'm thinking you have at least 4-5 years in. You have a better occupation as a solider in the United States Army vs the NOPD! Soon the military will have to take over because the NOPD can't contain the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans