U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:56 PM

35 posts, read 90,368 times

Advertisements

We live in Dallas & my wife has been wanting to visit New Orleans forever. And so on our 20th Wedding Anniversary in March, I wanted to surprise her with a day trip to New Orleans. Our anniversary is on a weekday; we will probably spend 5 hours or so in New Orleans.

Here's the plan I've come up with
- drop off kids to school (and arrange for a friend to pick them up in the PM)
- rush to Dallas airport and fly to New Orleans MSY. Flight lands at around 12:30 PM
- take a taxi to the French Quarter
- lunch at a fine dining restaurant in the French Quarter
- stroll around / sight-see for a couple of hours
- take a taxi back to New Orleans MSY
- 6:30 PM flight back to Dallas
- pick up the kids & hopefully if we are not too tired, go out for (the usual boisterous family) dinner

Questions for CD forum members:
1. Please review the plan critically. I know my wife will be surprised & thrilled but is it workable?
2. We will probably reach the French Quarter by 1:30 - 2 PM. Will the fine dining restaurants offer lunch at that time?
3. Any fine dining recommendations for an anniversary lunch?
4. After lunch, is there anything close by that we can walk to? Perhaps people-watching along the Mississipi or just a place to sit & relax?
5. Is it easy to get a taxi back to the airport?

Really need your candid inputs so that I can book tickets & plan a super surprise pour mon épouse.

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 03:50 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,405,337 times
I would think you could find quite a lot of places open around that time.

There is a linear park along the Mississippi- Woldenberg- where you can sit and watch the river roll by. It's one of my favorite things to do in the city.

I wouldn't worry about taxis; they'll be abundant at the airport and in the FQ.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:51 AM

Oh, and I would try Galatoire's- one of (if not the) most famous old-line restaurants.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:12 AM

151 posts, read 259,203 times
You may like to consider taking a cruise on the Natchez. They have jazz cruises and supply dinner while you move down the Mississippi. If that doesn't suit, what restaurant were you considering?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:43 AM

@ Neworleansisprettygood - Thanks. I will definitely try Galatoire's

@ moiraesfate - Wonderful. However I see only the Steamboat Cruise which departs the shore before we land in New Orleans. Are there other cruises?

Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 AM

151 posts, read 259,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post
@ Neworleansisprettygood - Thanks. I will definitely try Galatoire's

@ moiraesfate - Wonderful. However I see only the Steamboat Cruise which departs the shore before we land in New Orleans. Are there other cruises?
That depends on when you're leaving. The website shows value packages.

The cruiseline states that the Jazz Cruise with lunch boards at 2 pm, leaves port at 2:30, then arrives back at 4:30 (there is an 11:30 one as well, but I think the 2 pm sounds better for your schedule). The Jazz and dinner cruise will board at 6 pm and leave port at 7 pm, then cruise the Mississippi for two hours. It's $70 a person.

I suggest giving them a call with any questions.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 PM

The cruise would work if you're looking for Southern grandeur. A place like Galatoire's is more along the lines of old world elegance.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:42 AM

Excellent tips - thanks - both Glatoire's & the Jazz cruise are great options. A friend suggests Muriel's Jackson Square which apparently is in the French quarter.

Will I need to book a taxi to take me from the French quarter to the airport? Or are there cabs cruising around?

Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 PM

7,803 posts, read 4,564,215 times
That's an ambitious day trip.
Too bad you don't have more time.
Most of your day is gonna be spent
in airports and on I-10.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:28 PM

45 posts, read 151,694 times
I love Muriel's. just go any hotel in the quarter and they can get you a cab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or