U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 05:14 PM

4 posts, read 2,944 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are in Baton Rouge on the weekend before Mardi Gras, and plan to go New Orleans on Fat Tuesday (02/12/13). We plan to start early in the morning @ 4-5 am to avoid traffic, find a parking spot, stay there all day and head out 5-6 pm. Does it look like a feasible plan?
We are not sure how the traffic will be in the early hours of the morning from Baton Rouge to New Orleans. Also, we found a few sites like Park Whiz, which can gurantee a parking spot all day. Should we reserve a spot before we get there?

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 01:54 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,404,848 times
The first parade MG day is Zulu, which starts at 8. It's a great parade, and you should be able to get here in time for its start, park, and walk to St. Charles- I would suggest parking near here: Google Maps as this is where Zulu starts... the "river side" of St. Charles will be safer, but the way parking for Mardi Gras works is someone stands on the edge of an empty lot or a driveway and sells parking directly to you- it can cost up to $25. Zulu is a great parade but some of its route goes through some iffy neighborhoods- but if you park near its start, you can find a safe spot and still be within walking distance of the Quarter.

edit: if you can get here by 7, you will probably be able to find free, safe parking without too much of a walk.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:51 AM

54 posts, read 137,727 times
Mardi Gras Day means Fat Tuesday Day. Really? You want to say that?

Funny how people have taken something and have redundacized it - like ATM machine.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGregg View Post
Mardi Gras Day means Fat Tuesday Day. Really? You want to say that?

Funny how people have taken something and have redundacized it - like ATM machine.
But the whole season is colloquially called MG. So MG day it is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-10-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
But the whole season is colloquially called MG. So MG day it is.

Wrong. The season is Carnival. Carnival ends on Mardi Gras, which means Fat Tuesday.

It's not Fat Tuesday Season from January 6 until Mardi Gras 'day'.

Colloquially being called something doesn't mean it's correct. Stop saying and using wrong/bad information.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Wrong. The season is Carnival. Carnival ends on Mardi Gras, which means Fat Tuesday.

Colloquially being called something doesn't mean it's correct. Stop saying and using wrong/bad information.
I get that you're an old dude, but ranting about this on the internet isn't going to change how people speak.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I get that you're an old dude, but ranting about this on the internet isn't going to change how people speak.

I'm not an 'old dude' and I know I ain't gonna get people to change how they be speakin'. Ignorance is bliss - and there is a lot of bliss in this country. What's wrong with having correct information though? If it's not this then it's some car or movie or whatever.

It's just amazing how many people are so willingly ignorant and lazy about language - and insist on being wrong.

You know where River Road is? In New Orleans there are people who say River Road when they're actually talking about Leake Avenue. I had a job once that was on some address River Road so I went there. No one was there.

It was on Leake.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I'm not an 'old dude' and I know I ain't gonna get people to change how they be speakin'. Ignorance is bliss - and there is a lot of bliss in this country. What's wrong with having correct information though? If it's not this then it's some car or movie or whatever.

It's just amazing how many people are so willingly ignorant and lazy about language - and insist on being wrong.

You know where River Road is? In New Orleans there are people who say River Road when they're actually talking about Leake Avenue. I had a job once that was on some address River Road so I went there. No one was there.

It was on Leake.
Okay?

Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,002,802 times
Quote:

Seriously, you need to get over yourself. Nobody likes a grammar troll.

The only people that use the word 'Carnival' are Al Johnson, Arthur Hardy and tourists.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 AM

14,439 posts, read 20,930,381 times
It's Mardi Gras season in Louisiana. Take a chill pill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or