Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:48 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times

Advertisements

but I'm hearing about a lot of crime in New Orleans, and how you have to be soooooo careful etc.

I know you have to be vigilant and use common sense when ever you travel to a city; I've been to Boston, London and Paris, heck, I grew up in parts of LA and know how to avoid dodgy areas, but is New Orleans really that nerve wracking? I was just reading about so much crime lately and a friend of mine told me a few members of their group were robbed.

We're not into staying out late at bars or walking around in the dark, but seriously how much homework do I have to do beforehand about what streets to avoid etc.? It looks like a really cool place to visit, but as a rule I like to relax a little when I'm on vacation. I'm starting to get a little put off the idea because of all this bad publicity, or is it greatly exaggerated? Is it really the same as any city regarding precautions and NOLA is getting a bad rap, or do you really have to be extra extra careful??

Sorry if I sound dumb, and please, I hope I'm not offending anyone, just want to know what to expect as I really would like to visit, and would appreciate some reasonable safety tips.
As far as what we're interested in... the architecture, people watching, yummy food, museums, and perhaps a swamp tour.
NOT into the drinking scene at all, and while Jazz music would be cool to hear while walking around, we wouldn't be looking for a Jazz venue to go to, so I'm thinking we would be doing most of our visiting during the day and early evening.

Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 05:33 AM

45 posts, read 161,193 times
Please-if it were that bad why would hundreds of thousand's of people come every year for Mardi Gras, Sugar Bowl, JAZZ Fest, this year, Super Bowl, and many, many conventions? Think about it! As long as you aren't on Bourbon Street at 4 AM falling down drunk, or looking to score drugs - you will be fine. Before I moved here, I visited a couple of times a year for over 25 years. In my
Younger days, I was one that was out at 4 am - but didn't have a problem. Just use common sense, you will be fine. It is a city like no other, rich in everything that makes a "vacation".

Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,144 times
I'm a 30 yr old white female and I live in a bad part of town and me, nor my mom who visits regularly, have never had a problem. Just don't walk around bad parts of town (there's plenty of those, but not in the tourist areas) and don't **** anybody off and you'll be fine.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:08 PM

62 posts, read 277,743 times
I agree with the other posters--I would not let the perception of crime in New Orleans prevent you from visiting. Overall, crime in New Orleans is on par with other cities of comparable sizes. What separates New Orleans is its murder rate, which I believe again was the highest in the country in 2012, or at least close to it (Chicago had a lot this past year too). Don't go poking around bad parts of town and you'll be fine. I lived just outside the Quarter for 3 months last summer without incident, and I was also nervous before my first visit to the city. I'm so glad I didn't let it spook me out of visiting--plan your trip and have fun! Exercise standard street sense and you should have a great time.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times
Default Thanks for the perspective!

Yup... it's getting a bad rap sounds like.
Thought this would be a good place to ask and I was right.
Looking forward to visiting!

Old 01-03-2013, 01:42 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Yup... it's getting a bad rap sounds like.
Thought this would be a good place to ask and I was right.
Looking forward to visiting!
We're looking forward to having you Hope you'll love the place! One things for sure, you'll probably never see another city like it!

Old 01-03-2013, 02:01 PM

45 posts, read 161,193 times
Majority of the murders are either drug or gang related. Not all - but most. So as long as you aren't in either of those two groups, don't worry! Les le Bon ton roulet

Old 01-03-2013, 02:25 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiemh View Post
Majority of the murders are either drug or gang related. Not all - but most. So as long as you aren't in either of those two groups, don't worry! Les le Bon ton roulet
Laissez les bon temps roulet.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:33 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,107 times
Default Crime in New Orleans

Check the stats, there is a crime map available on line, be careful. Even the safest neighborhoods hold potential danger.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:57 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,107 times
If you want the truth from someone that lived there for 67 years please direct mail me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans