U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:19 AM

5 posts, read 12,058 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 24 year old male moving to New Orleans and have never been before. I already have a job and will be making $40k or so and don't know what neighborhoods to look in to live. I want to live somewhere where there are things going on but affordable and most importantly safe. In the city is definitely fine but if it's easier outside the city that's ok too. I just have no idea where to start my search and if you anybody could give me some info and some help that would be great. I appreciate it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 09:21 AM

4 posts, read 6,587 times
Mid-City often offers the best all-around mix of affordability, safety, things going on, and access to the rest of the metro area. If you try Mid-City, look for places bordered by Jefferson Davis Parkway, City Park Avenue, and Canal or maybe Banks Street.

Faubourg St John between the bayou and Broad Street, bordered by Orleans Ave, is generally great too.

Rule of thumb for Mid-City/Bayou St John, as far as crime goes, is the closer to City Park Avenue you are the less crime there is. None of these areas is really high-crime, though, as always, you should stay aware. It's a city, like any other.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the info

what's this area like around this street?

3601 Dante Street, New Orleans, LA 70118

Old 02-14-2013, 11:36 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,191,163 times
I can vouch for Mid-City, you won't be dissapointed, it's a good all around area. You can get anywhere on foot, bike, car or transit. Not sure what your budget would be, do you need a huge yard, do you want half of a double or an apartment in a building, will you'll have a car, if you want walkability or good transit access, close to bars and restaurants, or be around other 20-30 single somethings, etc.

There are some other walkable areas within the city that you might be interested though. If you're more the bohemian hipster type, then the Marigny/Bywater is where you want to be. It has gentrified since Katrina, but still has some affordability. The real crusty kids have moved on to the cheaper area across St. Claude. The Lower Garden District also has a bohemian vibe, though not quite as much as the downtown neighborhoods. As you move upriver along Magazine St. or St. Charles, it starts to get more and more yuppie and posh, then when you get past Carrollton around Oak St, it goes back to being more hipster and more affordable.

All of these neighborhoods will have a fair amount of transplants and people in around your age.

See: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...moving-no.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...relo-nola.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...e-student.html

Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zielinsp View Post
Thanks for the info

what's this area like around this street?

3601 Dante Street, New Orleans, LA 70118
No. There are better neighborhoods to look at first.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:41 AM

No need for a yard or that stuff, just a single 1 bedroom apartment for myself. I will have a car and bike so that's not a problem. I'd like to be close to bars and stuff and people near my age like you mentioned. I'd like to be no more than $800 for rent.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zielinsp View Post
No need for a yard or that stuff, just a single 1 bedroom apartment for myself. I will have a car and bike so that's not a problem. I'd like to be close to bars and stuff and people near my age like you mentioned. I'd like to be no more than $800 for rent.
Outside of the French Quarter or Warehouse Dist, you dan definitely find something in your range. Where will your job be located?

Old 02-14-2013, 12:56 PM

All over LA, I'll be traveling a little bit so I can live anywhere in New Orleans...or Baton Rouge if I want but I thought New Orleans sounded a bit more fun.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 PM

530 posts, read 1,075,108 times
Uptown is gorgeous full of cafes, restaurants, parks, boutiques, college students (your age group)

Warehouse district is full of young professionals, close to the French Quarter and Uptown. Not as lush with greenery as uptown.

I have lived in both areas. For your age you can't go wrong.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:41 PM

530 posts, read 1,075,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
No. There are better neighborhoods to look at first.
Yeah there are better areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans