Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,175 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm an admin from NYC with wall street experience- I was wondering how the job situation is in general in New Orleans right now for professionals with experience. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 03:52 PM

151 posts, read 291,624 times
The news would have you believe it's good. In fact, there are many articles talking about how it's very good. Here's the problem... the comparison they are using is "good compared to right after Katrina". The reality is that pay is fairly low (most people make between $10 and $15 an hour). Depending on your industry, you will also have a hard time finding a job. There are lots of low paying jobs all over the place (think McDonalds and the like). If you want to find out what kind of jobs there are out there, take a look at nola.com, craigslist, monster, careerbuilder, etc. Yes, there are unadvertised jobs as well, but they are hard to find if you don't already have a contact.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,931,886 times
How are the oil jobs faring?

Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 PM

640 posts, read 1,231,707 times
I guess it depends on what you mean by "wall street experience."

Moiraesfate...i dont know what you are thinking but there are plenty of jobs to be had right now if you are qualified and a professional, respectable person...ive never had a problem finding a job. Also, 10 to 15 dollars an hour is pretty good considering we have a much lower COL than other old cities. Try to find a salary job?

Old 02-28-2013, 10:10 AM

640 posts, read 1,231,707 times
Also, I suggest taking a look at worknola.com this website has many good jobs posted each week.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:58 AM

196 posts, read 222,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
How are the oil jobs faring?
seems fairly healthy at this time in that area

Old 03-01-2013, 08:52 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,966,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moiraesfate View Post
The news would have you believe it's good. In fact, there are many articles talking about how it's very good. Here's the problem... the comparison they are using is "good compared to right after Katrina". The reality is that pay is fairly low (most people make between $10 and $15 an hour). Depending on your industry, you will also have a hard time finding a job. There are lots of low paying jobs all over the place (think McDonalds and the like). If you want to find out what kind of jobs there are out there, take a look at nola.com, craigslist, monster, careerbuilder, etc. Yes, there are unadvertised jobs as well, but they are hard to find if you don't already have a contact.
A post on another thread has census data stats that says New Orleans has about 5100 households within the city proper that make over 200k a year. I really don't understand how you work in hospitality when every word that comes out of your mouth (on the internet, at least) is about how miserable of a place New Orleans is.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:06 AM

799 posts, read 1,555,314 times
She posted in another thread that her householdincome is 55k. Know she is married but not if she has kids. Either way, that is difficult to live on. If that were me, I would be looking for a different industry. But if she really loves what she does (and its hard to believe that she does, with the number of posts where she complains about it), New Orleans is probably not a great place for her.

OP, try a temp service at first. We use them to staff admin help on the films we shoot and its a great way to make contacts for more permanent employment. We pay about $15-20 an hour, depending on what we need.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:23 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,939,261 times
I was just looking at job listings in New Orleans vs. Boston and its crazy. There are no jobs for accountants in New Orleans, when I thought accounting was supposed to be recession proof.

Boston has 400 listings per 40 New Orleans has.

Not sure if this would be a smart move.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:25 PM

16,518 posts, read 26,482,822 times
Boston is 4 times larger and is not geared towards service and tourism as much as New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans