U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,748 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I, both 24, are moving to New Orleans in 3 months, at the very end of July. We've both been heavily researching the city and it seems like the right place for us, but reviews on the different neighborhoods get kind of mixed, so I'm just hoping to hear from some locals about the pro's and con's of each.

We don't have a car, we do have bikes. We'll be looking for an apartment, studio is fine but preferably 1bedroom, with max rent $800. We want to be in a neighborhood that feels safe enough to walk around during the day and evening, and is walking/biking distance to most stores/businesses. Also would like to know about any community colleges in the area that you'd recommend. My boyfriend would be looking to continue working at a bank as he does now, or for any teachers aid or similar position. I can work retail and restaurants, I prefer a job related to food service or hospitality. We're a pretty laid back couple, we like to spend time outdoors, getting to know new people, and exploring all that your wonderful city has to offer

Any advice really for a first time young couple moving to your city will be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 11:44 AM

358 posts, read 672,550 times
You should look at City Park/Delgado/Lakeview area. Delgado is a community college and you would be within bike distance of UNO and Dillard campuses as well. You'd also have access to Canal St Streetcar if you needed to get to downtown/uptown/carrolton.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:24 PM

933 posts, read 1,387,395 times
I agree with mouzon, you seem the perfect fit for the Lakeview area around City Park. But don't be afraid to look in Lakeview closer to the lake and slightly northwest of the park. I used to live really close to the lake and it was a lot of open (on New Orleans' standards) land and alot of place for your outdoor activities, while not being far from City Park. The levee area near the lake is perfect for running.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:50 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,709,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHarley View Post
My boyfriend and I, both 24, are moving to New Orleans in 3 months, at the very end of July. We've both been heavily researching the city and it seems like the right place for us, but reviews on the different neighborhoods get kind of mixed, so I'm just hoping to hear from some locals about the pro's and con's of each.

We don't have a car, we do have bikes. We'll be looking for an apartment, studio is fine but preferably 1bedroom, with max rent $800. We want to be in a neighborhood that feels safe enough to walk around during the day and evening, and is walking/biking distance to most stores/businesses. Also would like to know about any community colleges in the area that you'd recommend. My boyfriend would be looking to continue working at a bank as he does now, or for any teachers aid or similar position. I can work retail and restaurants, I prefer a job related to food service or hospitality. We're a pretty laid back couple, we like to spend time outdoors, getting to know new people, and exploring all that your wonderful city has to offer

Any advice really for a first time young couple moving to your city will be greatly appreciated!
Lakeview isn't walkable, as far as to commercial areas. It's basically a postwar suburb that happens to be within city limits.

I would try the Lower Garden District.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:45 PM

77 posts, read 150,588 times
Also the riverbend area might be a good fit. My friend lives there and bikes all over the place and it's a short streetcar ride to some pretty fun places!!!!

Old 04-26-2013, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,746 times
City Park area would be convenient to our community college, Delgado. Other areas you may like are around Magazine Street as it has many shops, restaurants and groceries.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:51 PM

4,886 posts, read 6,856,837 times
Many here are providing you with good advice about housing areas, so I'm going to give you some additional advice before moving here.

You said you would not have a car, but bikes instead. While New Orleans is one of the most walkable cities I have ever lived in, all areas, even safe areas, are not safe to walk or bike in at any hour of the day and if you have some sort of emergency you would be dependent on public transportation or taxi.

You really need to have a car. Even if you never drive it, you need to have a car in case of evacuation. When we lived in NOLA we rarely used our car. We walked, rode our bikes, took the city bus or streetcar, or caught a ride with someone else. Our car was only moved the three times we had to evacuate because of hurricanes or threat of hurricanes. On these occasions, I was extremely glad we had a car. As proved during Katrina, being dependent on public transportation during an emergency can be tricky.

Bring a car, even if it is a piece of junk, as long as it will get you where you need to go ... if you need to go.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:02 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,061,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHarley View Post

About the biking...
We were there on vacation recently and rented bikes to roam around the Garden District, and it was a challenge. Drivers do not like to stop at all for bikers! Not just our imagination... when we returned the bikes we asked the shop keeper about it and he said, yeah, NOLA isn't a very bike friendly place. Then his buddy piped up and showed us his broken arm, (the car won) and said things are improving though, there's been a few less deaths this year so far than last year!
Of course no matter where you are, it's always wise to be careful when biking. Goes without saying, but if you are from some college town where bikes prevail and drivers yield to bike riders be very very careful.
It was quite a contrast to when we visited Midtown Sacramento and Davis where people rode their bikes with abandon, even through stop signs!

Be safe! Hope it all works out for you guys!

Old 04-28-2013, 01:09 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,709,815 times
We have LOTS of bikes. We're one of the top 5 or 10 cities by # of bike commuters. It's true, though, that attitude doesn't necessarily extend to drivers... I was on St. Charles one night (where it's one lane in each direction) and there were two bikes riding shoulder to shoulder down the middle of the lane. If that's the kind of stuff that is expected in "bike-friendly" cities, then I'm just going to stay grumpy, 20th century style.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:37 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,189,168 times
New Orleans is bike friendly in that it has a dense connected network of low traffic residential streets that can get you where you need to go without having to bike on a major arterial suburban highway. We do have a lot of marked bike lanes throughout the city, but this isn't exactly Amsterdam or Copenhagen. The laws don't cater to bicycles. Drivers face light penalties(if any) in accidents involving people on bicycles (or pedestrians for that matter).

Some neighborhoods are better than others. The older areas between city park and the river are well connected and more conducive to getting around by bike. Newer areas like Lakeview, Gentilly and the East are very suburban where it's difficult to stay on a low speed/traffic street to get anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: